How much is too much?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
KatyM

How much is too much?

Post by KatyM » 11 Oct 2015, 20:01

I am getting a bit confused! I really want to make the right decision about which puppy to get. Im not sure about the benefits of having an Aussie over UK bred. I have found a breeder I like the look of who is breeding 50/50. She does not neuter/spay her pups, which is important to me. But how much is a reasonable amount to pay for 50/50? She is asking £1250. Would I be paying over the odds?
I would like to get a puppy with a high chance of a low shedding coat, as some members of my extended family have pet allergies. Are Aussies more likely to be low shedding?

Thank you for your advise and insight. :D

Hyster

Re: How much is too much?

Post by Hyster » 11 Oct 2015, 21:15

We originally looked at Aussies and then fell in love with a plain old F2 labradoodle.

I was quoted about 2k for an Aussie and that put me off tbh, I paid £700 for our Flynn and I don't grudge a single penny of it, he is an absolute star.

Flynn does not shed but I've met his brothers and sisters and some of them do, one of his siblings looked like his twin, some looked similar and some like another breed altogether! So I'll guess that F2s are a bit of a lottery and not very predictable.

I've read that F1b Labradoodles are likely to shed less than other Labradoodles but I would not take that as a guarantee.

We simply got lucky, hopefully other more knowledgeable owners will chip in with their experience.

Oh and by the way, Flynn is 24inches at the shoulder 41kg and wont turn one till next week!

They can get quite big, Good Luck.

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 11 Oct 2015, 21:24

lulu is a direct cross poodle/labradoodle she was £650 and others have paid much less. She is a sort of rough coat but doesn't she a 100th amount the same as my daughters jackrussell/beagle cross.

I don't have hair everywhere and never on me. If I brush her through there isn't any hair but if I don't and she sits on my bed, there maybe a smattering of hair so does she shed I would say no but others may say she does, I always get confused with shedding and moulting.

Also you can never guarantee they won't shed as far as I am aware.

Good luck and let us know
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Ben

Post by Ben » 11 Oct 2015, 23:00

I believe most 50/50 are low/non-shedding, but I have met one who looked like a scruffy F1.

Make sure the health tests are in place and go with a breeder you trust.

Have a look at FB page or blog Labradoodle Puppy Finder. Breeders on there must have completed a minimum set of health tests.

Good luck in your search.

jackieholmes19

Post by jackieholmes19 » 12 Oct 2015, 07:46

Bella is an F2 and doesn't shed at all. She is 2/3 poodle though, as her mum was an f1b. She cost £500 and is an amazing dog :D
Jackie & Bella
Xxx

annabell22

Post by annabell22 » 16 Oct 2015, 05:38

We have monty who is a 50/50 aussie. He has a wavy soft coat and doesn't shed at all. We brush him a couple times a week and that seems to be enough. I think most aussie breeders pick their mates carefully for their history of shedding or non shedding probably. In montys litter of pups know know there was one scruffy looking girl. If you go for an aussie make sure u specify a wavy or curly pup to ensure you aren't allocated any scruffy pups which probably will shed. In terms of cost monty was expensive but we think he was worth every penny especially as his temperament and behaviour from day one was and is just so good.

iwantadog

Post by iwantadog » 18 Oct 2015, 20:49

I think to guarantee no/low shedding you need to be looking at an Aussie. My F1b moults for England!!!!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage