Next step (house training)

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
KatyM

Next step (house training)

Post by KatyM » 10 Feb 2016, 16:51

Winnie (10 week old pup) is doing great with house training. Yesterday she only went on her puppy pad in the house once. Today she has been outside each time. My question is..

I work as a childminder from home so I can take her out straight after nap, play and food and drink. She is in the kitchen with her crate and both doors blocked by stair gates. We pick her up to take her outside as we have to walk through the dining room to get to the garden and i don't want to risk any accidents. How can i teach her to let me know when she needs to go out? How do i know when she is just making a fuss for attention and when she is telling me she needs to go out?

Debby

Re: Next step (house training)

Post by Debby » 10 Feb 2016, 17:08

Hi Katy
I think you're doing the right thing by taking her out regularly
With my pup Willow ( now 6 months) she first started to stand by the door to let me know when she needed to go out
Not sure how old she was but I think around 12/14 weeks not long after did she find her voice and bark to let me know if I hadn't noticed her waiting to go out
We have kept her in a puppy crate only overnight with access to utility room if she needed to toilet but she was clean and dry from about 4 months during the night
Not sure if what I said helps but they certainly learn quickly
Accidents happen but only occasionally and I never made a big deal about it when she did
Debby

We5Kings

Post by We5Kings » 10 Feb 2016, 18:05

Personally I think she needs to be out of the crate more often now,so that she can walk to the door/baby gate to let you know. I would clip her lead on and walk through the dining room with her to go outside. We were told at puppy class not to pick them up and "take" them out. She might have the odd accident en route but she's been such a good girl I wouldn't expect it to take her long to get the hang of "asking". Dude didn't "ask" for ages but regular trips outside on the lead worked( he was never in a crate and we had very few accidents...maybe just lucky)

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 11 Feb 2016, 20:21

I kept wondering when Lulu would ask and last week for the first time she actually pawed he door. She sleeps under my bed and occasionally has woken me up with A whimper to go out. I think it "just happens"
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

suzi23173

Post by suzi23173 » 11 Feb 2016, 22:06

I taught Tess to paw the door because she didn't bark at first. It's only any good when you're in the room though. She still never barks to go out but she does come and cry and wag her tail and do that Lassie follow me thing. Sometimes when you get to the kitchen she paws the door, sometimes she cries hopefully, looking up at the biscuit cupboard! Xx :roll: :lol:

Ps - you can teach them to ding a bell but I never tried that. Xx
Love,
Suzi and Tess.
xxx

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 11 Feb 2016, 22:36

Walking them out is a good idea - although I admit that, at first, with both of ours I used to carry them as it was a long trip from front room through the house to garden... If you walk her out on her lead she'll get the idea.
Neither of mine make a big fuss of needing to go out. Ianto will disappear, and if I follow him, I'll find him at the French windows - he sometimes will make a little 'Arr!' noise (he saves the noisy barks for the postman, delivery people, random people walking past the house on the street, you get the picture! :roll: ) The puppy will disappear into the hall, but if I don't notice, he comes back and sticks his face into mine, then runs back to the kitchen door...
I have seen videos of someone teaching their pup to ring a hotel-type 'ding' bell, with the intention of then putting the bell by the door, so it will ring it when it wants to go out. Others use a bell/bells on a ribbon attached to the door and touch them with the pup's nose or paws as they go outside to toilet. (I didn't teach Ianto with the bells on a string, as I was aware that he'd be constantly ringing them and driving me crazy! :? )
It's a case of watching her and if she goes to the correct babygate, give her lots of praise, pop her on the lead and take her out. She'll get there - and so will you! :D
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 12 Feb 2016, 02:12

I have visions of you trying to carry a big lump of a full grown doodle through your dining room as this is what she has learnt needs to be done. :wink: :lol:
(sorry can't get that picture out my head)

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 12 Feb 2016, 21:15

Pollydoodle, you've been staying up too late at night again!!! :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Anne, Ianto & Wyre :D

KatyM

Post by KatyM » 13 Feb 2016, 18:14

It have started walking her to the door now so hopefully she will understand where she needs to go to let us know.

She is only in her crate when I leave the house and at night, I don't think that is excessive!

I have taken her on three short walks over the last few days. She is doing really well and seemed to really enjoyed it today. She doesn't do her business while we are out but saves it up until she is back in her own garden. I'm guessing this is because she is more at ease when she is in her own garden.

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 13 Feb 2016, 20:25

Bless her! Our Ianto would do a wee outside of the garden, but seemed to think he had to pooh in there! (I was really worried because I needed to take him out for the day...) Then, we were up town one day, and the poor little lad couldn't hold it any longer... He squatted down as we were negotiating an alley and got Busy - he must have been quite surprised when I showered him with praise (and treats!) :D He still prefers to do it on grass...
I used to leave him in his playpen overnight, and when I went out, so no - not excessive! :) Glad to hear that she's enjoying her trips out into the big, wide world...
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x