How accurate are puppy size predictors?

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
o4d

How accurate are puppy size predictors?

Post by o4d » 17 Mar 2016, 23:41

http://www.puppychart.com/

This one for example! Weighed Harvey today he is 4.5kg and about 10 weeks old, according to this he will be 13kg fully grown which doesn't seem right! Father is a (fairly large) miniature poodle and mother is a lab. I hope he's small but given his current size and rate of growth it seems unlikely!

We5Kings

Re: How accurate are puppy size predictors?

Post by We5Kings » 18 Mar 2016, 09:42

Dude was 5kg at 8weeks and at almost 3years is almost 26kg. He was 20kg by 6months, already 23kg by a year. So, you see they do most of their growing early on and we noticed a real slow down after that. Dude is slightly larger than his Mum and about the same size as his Dad( both Labradoodles) Anny

suzi23173

Post by suzi23173 » 18 Mar 2016, 09:49

It's absolutely spot on for Tess. Amazing!
It used to drive me crazy trying to work out how big she would get.
I wish that had been available when she was little.
You have to put in Labrador or poodle but it still accurate.
She was 16 kg at 16 weeks so it says she should end up 28.8 kg which is exactly what she should be. X
Love,
Suzi and Tess.
xxx

o4d

Post by o4d » 21 Mar 2016, 08:10

Thanks for your replies! I hope it is accurate as I was hoping Harvey would not be too big given I live in a city and will probably continue living in cities for he next few years. His father is a miniature poodle and mother is a lab, hoping he takes on his dad's stature :)

Bid

Post by Bid » 21 Mar 2016, 09:14

The charts don't work for poppy and beam. They were one kilo apart at 8 weeks and as adults they are 16kg and 36 kg. Both are standards.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 21 Mar 2016, 16:26

The charts only really work if you know what size your dog 'should' be as an adult - for example, two pups might be exactly the same size at a certain age, and the same weight, but one might be destined to be a greyhound and one might be destined to be a miniature poodle. They rely on you knowing what the parents of your dog were - and if the parents were of different sizes and different breeds then it's not so likely to be accurate.

The charts are not so much to tell you what size your dog is likely to be but to make sure they are putting enough weight on as they grow.

Because Lola is an Australian labradoodle, and we knew her parents were both 14 inches tall, and our vet looked up what a similarly built dog was likely to be at the end and during the growing process - he decided on a fox terrier. So every time we went he compared Lola's weight gain to that predicted for a fox terrier and that way could see that she was gaining the right amount at different stages.

She grew to be 14 inches tall.
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

Bid

Post by Bid » 21 Mar 2016, 22:14

Knowing the parents doesn't always help - Poppy has a littermate about twice her size! It is unpredictable imo!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 21 Mar 2016, 22:26

Yes - that was exactly what i said, it's unpredictable if you have parents of different breeds. the puppies will tend to favour the size of the mother genetically, but could favour either parent.

The only predictability comes in if both parents are multi-multi-generational and of the same size as each other.

Or if the parents are both similar-sized and of the same breed.
Lola is a UK Assistance Dog, trained to alert me for low blood sugar by Medical Detection Dogs (http://www.medicaldetectiondogs.org.uk)

suzi23173

Post by suzi23173 » 21 Mar 2016, 23:04

That's probably why it works for Tess Liz. She's f2 but standard size.
Love,
Suzi and Tess.
xxx

Coco and Annie

Post by Coco and Annie » 22 Mar 2016, 15:48

Our Yoshi is a 5th generation Australian labradoodle so in theory his size should have been easy to predict. The breeder classed him as a large miniature as both parents were about 16" high to the shoulder. He's ended up being over 20" and a large medium/small standard and I've been told one of his brothers is even bigger! You don't always get what's in the tin!
X

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 22 Mar 2016, 17:55

Coco and Annie wrote:Our Yoshi is a 5th generation Australian labradoodle so in theory his size should have been easy to predict. The breeder classed him as a large miniature as both parents were about 16" high to the shoulder. He's ended up being over 20" and a large medium/small standard and I've been told one of his brothers is even bigger! You don't always get what's in the tin!
X
Well, that's what you get for letting him sleep in a GroBag, Annie! :wink:
I always say that Labradoodles are like a bag of Revels... you never know what you're going to get (Forrest Gump at least had the menu in the lid of his box of chocolates... :wink: )
Unless you go for a multi-gen, you can't be sure.... and that is one of the joys of the Labradoodle!! You just have to go with the flow... because whatever you eventually end up with, you'll love 'em! :D
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

Liz!!

Post by Liz!! » 22 Mar 2016, 20:23

Our Australian labradoodle breeder can actually guarantee sizes, between certain parameters - ie 14-15 inches, 16-18, 20-22 etc. They should be able to.

Bid

Post by Bid » 23 Mar 2016, 21:47

Somewhere in there will be the genes for a lab-sized dog waiting to pop up!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk