including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 15:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Early rising
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2016, 06:23 

Since their treatment for lungworm my 2 have decided that between 4.45 and 5 am is the best time to get up. They have slept from 10 pm until 6am since they arrived here at 8 weeks old (I did get up in the night for the first few weeks)
I tried covering their crates, leaving the radio on and a couple of other tips I read on line but nothing helped
I am now trying to re adjust their up time. I have started to use an alarm which I set for 5. I get up and have a coffee check my emails etc. I get them up at 5.30. They are quiet and settled while I have my coffee, so it is not that they need to go out.
How long do I leave the alarm at 5 and how slowly do I move it on? My ideal time to get up would be 6 but I could live with 5.30..
Any tips would be gratefully received. I do not want to have them upstairs. They are both crated overnight. They are exercised for at least an hour a day. I tried more exercise but that made no difference either.
A very tired Olly, Echo & Whisper

Post subject: Re: Early rising
PostPosted: 28 Apr 2016, 07:33 

I suppose the question is what are they doing to get you up? How long ago has their treatment finished.erhaps they will just go back to normal if left. It may also be a coincidence with their treatment and the change in daylight hours with the bids tweeting etc. I'm not sure how old they are other than their teenage years catching up when they seem to go off kilter for a while

Hopefully they give you the extra time soon

ImageImage

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2016, 07:53 

I've no advice but feel your pain. My daughter is a 5 am riser and if she's up I'm up. I've tried all sorts of training methods with her but to no avail. Hopefully dogs are easier to train that 5 year olds! :lol:

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2016, 10:17 

People have posted about this before and in several cases found that if they left the crate open then the barking or whining stopped and they waited longer in the morning or pootled about until a later time quite happily. It was a long time ago but you may find the posts if you look back. It think it worked for a few. Obviously it's a problem if you can't trust them not to wreak havoc yet but I know it has worked for some. Xx

xxx

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2016, 15:55 

Ditto Suzi , saved me a post :D
Could always go for walk a 10pm then bed...

Edit PS: our dogs wake a little before the alarm , nearly everyday...

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2016, 16:38 

Since my partner got new job ,dexter seems to know times when he needs to get up,he as different shifts times ,and when he gets up at 3 dexter thinks its time for hes breakfast.

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2016, 18:02 

They are just 12 months. I would happily leave them to bark / whine in the morning if I didn't have neighbours who complain. It could well be just coincidence that they have started getting up early and have just completed their lungworm treatment. They have 2 meals a day breakfast and tea (6am and 5pm) I use a small amount of teatime kibble to do some training in the evening and then a walk about 9.30 ish before they settle down at about 10. I am not sure that I would trust the 2 of them with crate doors open. I may have a try though over the Bank Holiday weekend when I don't have to get up for work.
Olly, Echo & Whisper

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2016, 23:06 

My dood was trained /used a crate when pup but from early age left door open. Based on how much my adult doods change positions and sssstretch out completely when sleeping through the night, 8 hours in a crate could be long time if they can't stretch out fully. Then again I am a complete sucker... Try leave the door open,unlatched worth a go if only for more sleep!

PostPosted: 29 Apr 2016, 09:08 

I'm not sure if this will be relevant but in my experience it's common for dogs at around a year to want to roam a bit more. Perhaps it's a developmental stage. I've experienced this many times. Dude did this around 10months. Having slept all night he started to get fidgety around 4am( his bed is in our room so I heard him)He would go for a wander, around the room, along the corridor, then either come back to his bed or sleep elsewhere til 7. He did this for a month or 2 then stopped and switched back to normal routine. I know your boys are crated but maybe they are going through this too? Anny

PostPosted: 01 May 2016, 22:33 

You could always try them withone of these, Olly.... Our doods are such bright dogs, you never know.... :wink:

http://gro.co.uk/gro-clock

Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

PostPosted: 02 May 2016, 06:46 

Small success to report, we have moved the alarm from 5 to 5.15 . I get up and have coffee before getting the boys up and letting them out. Then I feed them and they go out again. Now at 6. 30 they are both fast asleep!!
I am considering leaving the crates open but do have concerns about it. Whisper is a more laid back dog and likes to sleep. If Echo were human he would be ADHD. - can't be still or concentrate for more than 10 seconds and always on the go. He tries to wake Whisper up. Echo also removes all of the contents of his crate (bed and vet fleece) if he gets the chance, they both then play tug with the items. He is on bed 4!
Ianto the clock is great never seen one before (not got children). I would need 2 as they sleep in different rooms!
I think I will presevere with the alarm and see if I can get them to 6 in the next month. I will give the open crates some more thought as I would like to give them more freedom. I have had 2 other dogs in the past (but not together) and they were never crated, but having 2 together is a different thing altogether.
Off back to bed! I don't have to work today so I will take the chance to catch up on my sleep while I can!
Olly, Echo & Whisper

PostPosted: 02 May 2016, 19:38 

Just a thought, if they sleep in different rooms... could you try Whisper with his crate open first? As he seems to be calmer. Our two sleep in the kitchen, and since we had the puppy I've been crating both of them (problems with bonding due to Ianto being injured when we first got the pup... long story...) Anyhoo, as I knew that Ianto was fine being left to his own devices in the kitchen overnight (albeit after a comprehensive sweep to ensure nothing is left within his quite prodigious reach...!) I've been putting them both to bed with an 'Away to bed!' treat, but then opening Ianto's crate door, whilst leaving the pup crated. Perhaps once you are sure that Whisper is okay with his crate open, you would feel happier trying Echo?
I'd never seen the clocks before, as my kids are 'all growed-up' now... but I'd've loved one for my lad! He was a very early riser... Suffice to know that, once he hit teenage years that all went out of the window!! :roll: Come to think of it, it was the same with Iant, at three years old, he's quite happy to sleep in - even when I've got up 'specially to feed them... :lol:
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

PostPosted: 02 May 2016, 22:10 

The boys are both in their crates with the door open and I am upstairs. When I say in their crates, Echo is wandering round barking occasionally and Whisper is playing with a squeeky toy! This could be a long night. (I tried Iantos sugestion, Whisper with the door open and Echo crated but Echo barked incessantly.)
It has gone very quiet and that is more worrying than the noise. I have done a sweep of the kitchen and as far as I can see it is clear but I am sure that will find out in the morning!!
Off to sleep now
Olly, Echo & Whisper.

PostPosted: 02 May 2016, 22:25 

Sleep tight, Olly! (And perhaps tomorrow night, confiscate the squeaky toy...!) :D

Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

PostPosted: 03 May 2016, 07:22 

I thought that I had removed all noisy toys and left just 2 kongs. The squeeky bone was under the drawers and both dogs can't ever get anything from under there they just sit and bark till I get down and get it out. :roll:
The night wasn't a complete disaster. Echo left bed and vet bed in his crate. Nothing has been destroyed as far as I can see and no one wee'd on the floor. Ittook hm bout anho to go quiet ladt night and there was baking at 4am - I assume at the birds as I couldn't see anything out of the window. I didn't get up until 5.15 when the alarm went.
I will persevere with it and see how we go. The boys are now ready for a sleep, so am I but I have a days work and an evenings house work in front of me! :(
Olly, Echo & Whisper