Dudes French "cousin"!

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
We5Kings

Dudes French "cousin"!

Post by We5Kings » 25 Jul 2016, 11:55

This weekend we had a visit from Pauls sister and husband( who live in France) They also brought their 3year old Mongrel Rufus with them.
We had met Rufus before, but Dude hadn't. I was apprehensive but managed not to give off negative vibes to Dude.
Dude is not used to any other dogs coming into our house(apart from his Mum and Sister)so we had given some thought to how we would handle the situation.
When they arrived Paul and brother in law took the dogs up to the field/park for an off lead walk. Apparently there was a bit of sparring( up on back legs, but no snarling at all) After this they chased and played around the field.Rufus is a bit smaller than Dude,he's a wiry terrier type, French farm dog.
When they got back to the house there was some sniffing, but after that they were absolutely fine. Rufus even napped in Dudes basket! Pauls sister said " You like your cousin don't you Rufus!"

Oscar2011

Re: Dudes French "cousin"!

Post by Oscar2011 » 25 Jul 2016, 17:12

Do French doggy barks sound any different, or is it just a universal language :roll: :lol: :lol: :lol: .

Oscar.

Mens sana in corpore sano.

Crazy flying dog,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n5aKvfznuQ

Life of a Labradoodle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWFkOb39sv4

We5Kings

Post by We5Kings » 26 Jul 2016, 11:45

I did detect a certain rolling of the "Rrrr's" :lol: :lol:

jonb

Post by jonb » 28 Jul 2016, 09:08

You should try taking a labradoodle to France....they have no idea what to make of them especially when you explain that they are part poodle, part labrador! Roker has been twice now and gets loads of attention from people.

We5Kings

Post by We5Kings » 28 Jul 2016, 11:23

Yes! Pauls sister said she has never seen one!
We've been to France many times but never with Dude. We love the French attitude to dogs though: dogs in restaurants, dogs in supermarkets, dogs in hotel rooms! Now they REALLY love dogs!
There are always lots of mini poodles there, but it's unusual to see Labradors isn't it. Maybe that's why there aren't many doodles?

jonb

Post by jonb » 28 Jul 2016, 14:28

Its a very refreshing attitude to our 4 legged friends. Over here when you tick the pets allowed box for hotels the number shrinks massively, over there its just a very small number and like you say they happily let dogs in restaurants etc. First night with him in Arromanches we asked at one place for a table outside because of Roker but they didnt have one, we went to walk off and they called us back and said he was fine to be inside! Another time further south Roker was poorly due to the heat and basically evacuated himself from both ends all over the terrace part of a fairly posh restaurant. Instead of being thrown out and given a cleaning bill i was given some kitchen towel to clean up with then a bowl of water for Roker plus the local phone directory already open at the page for vets with a recommendation of which one to use....which is now our regular vet for his returning home checks.

That first year we went we took his cage with us as he was still quite young and still sleeping in it. Checking out of one place we got questioned as to what the cage was far and then why would anyone put their dog in a cage for sleeping...she was genuinely shocked that we did it and had to reassure her that he was fine and actually liked it in there.

We5Kings

Post by We5Kings » 28 Jul 2016, 17:07

What a wonderfully humane story! The French have real compassion for dogs.
I remember one time,in a supermarket in Antibes,seeing an old lady with a Bichon Frise. This little ball of fluff suddenly did a poo and quick as a flash, another shopper grabbed a plastic veg bag,scooped up the "accident" and patted the little dog on the head!
I must admit I would worry for Dude in heat. He's a v woolly bear and doesn't like it much above 20, so we've been having UK holidays since we got him.
As a non crater I totally agree with Madame!

jonb

Post by jonb » 28 Jul 2016, 17:14

Interesting re the poo picking up...a lot of France they love dogs so much they just leave it despite dispensers with free poo bags. I actually got thanked by a local fed up with it when I picked up after roker.

That time he was poorly was our fault for underestimating how hot it was. He has his "French holiday trim" which is super short and after that first year he now has a cool coat that works a treat although it gets strange looks from folk thinking its a normal coat in the heat!!

He doesn't bother with a crate these days but up til 8/9 months he loved his crate and it worked a treat. He would sleep in it when we left the door open and stuff like that. Slept through a Bastille day fireworks display that year as well and we were right next to it. He just felt safe in there.

We5Kings

Post by We5Kings » 28 Jul 2016, 18:37

Yes, a lot of dogs love their crates, it's like their cave really isn't it.
In Paris there is poo everywhere! And SO many dogs!!

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 02 Aug 2016, 20:31

We've been planning on taking our doods to France... I do so hope that the rules don't change due to 'Brexit'....
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

jonb

Post by jonb » 03 Aug 2016, 08:53

Ianto! wrote:We've been planning on taking our doods to France... I do so hope that the rules don't change due to 'Brexit'....
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x
I've seen some scare stories doing the rounds on Facebook and alike but as it stands there is no change and i've not seen anything about it being likely to change.

If you do get round to taking them and you're going to the south of France then looking into the leishmaniasis vaccination. Its a disease they can contract should they get bitten by a mosquito in the south of france, spain etc. Not cheap but worthwhile having spoken to the vet in France the first year we were there. I suspect as it stands Roker is probably the only dog in Chesterfield thats vaccinated against it!!

Second bit of advice....the beach at Arromanches is possibly one of the best beaches for a dog i've ever been on. Its huge!!

We5Kings

Post by We5Kings » 03 Aug 2016, 10:31

Re getting there: I've read that there are now dog friendly cabins on Brittany ferries! There's no way I would leave nervous Dude in the car so I had assumed, if we take him, we would go via the tunnel. But, if these cabins are a good option they might suit us in the future.
For the time being we are enjoying UK holidays. :D

jonb

Post by jonb » 03 Aug 2016, 11:08

I think the cabins are for the longer crossings. We normally do Dover - Calais which is an hour tops and on that Roker has to stay in the car. I just have him out of the car to the very last minute on the deck then he has a chew bone type thing and water in the boot and we try to make sure we are set to be one of the first down when allowed and have him out of the car again until they are set to move. He normally laps up attention from other folk as he hovers around the car and then is fine in the boot with the back windows partly open for some fresh air. Normally cars are in the shade but if not i would mention it to someone and get it moved.

We were worried about it first time we took him but he was fine. May help that we have a big estate car so he has a big boot to be in with plenty of room.

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 04 Aug 2016, 22:39

We've been allocated cabins on the Portsmouth/St Malo ferry when we 'only' had children that we refused to use... so low down, and such a dreadful smell of fumes I feared we'd never emerge alive... I'd much rather take an hour trip and drive the rest of the way...
Yes, jon, I guess that Roker is probably a very rare beast indeed, in Chesterfield...! (I'm guessing most of 'em don't even have Kennel cough protection and flea cover, never mind the more 'exotic' stuff...! :wink: )
We'll be looking at this option for 2017 (if we can sort The Gremlin out in time). Arromanches sounds excellent for the little dude; he loves the wide-open spaces - the fewer people the better...
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x