Scullcap and valerian

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
We5Kings

Scullcap and valerian

Post by We5Kings » 19 Aug 2016, 15:22

I have taken Linnys advice and have received the Dorwest Scullcap and valerian( plus valerian compound) in readiness for the crazy Somerset fireworks that tend to run through Nov,Dec and Jan. This is just a reminder because apparently Dorwest do run out, so buy early.
Unbelievably, last night, gone midnight, someone let off a VERY loud firework! Just one, but it was enough to put poor Dude into "flight" mode, scrabbling at the door, digging into the carpet. I am certainly planning to start him on the new remedies before November, but hadn't expected to need them yet! :roll: Anny

We5Kings

Re: Scullcap and valerian

Post by We5Kings » 13 Sep 2016, 10:48

Well, we have just had a MASSIVE storm and, as usual Dude was petrified.
This manifests in pacing, running, panting, hiding etc.
Time to try the Valerian compound ( drops)
So, I persuaded Dude to lick the dose off a teaspoon and 1minute later...yes 1minute.. He was lying beside me sleeping!!
Incredible! This bodes well for November. Anny

linny

Post by linny » 17 Sep 2016, 18:22

Pleased that you are finding the S&V useful Anny.
I swear by it and will soon be starting Eli on a pre Firework course.
The rest of the dogs are not bothered by fireworks but Eli becomes a quivering wreck without the Scullcap & Valerian.

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 20 Sep 2016, 21:40

Thank you for this, Anny... The pup is frightened on his own shadow nowadays and this may be helpful come November, when people around here appear to have access to mortar bombs... :(
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

Edited to add: So pleased to hear that it has been working so well for the lovely Dude. xx

We5Kings

Post by We5Kings » 21 Sep 2016, 09:10

Hi Anne, yes it's hard work sometimes having a doodle who is A Little Bit Jumpy( to quote Jeff Bridges in Starman...showing my age!)
We used the Valerian compound again on Saturday night when a teenage bday party down the lane became way too loud for The Dude!
He was pacing, scratching at doors etc. I gave him a teaspoon of the Valerian and, as before, he stopped pacing and went to sleep! ( which is more than we did, with the celebrations continuing til 2am!) Anny x