To Puppy or not to Puppy, that is the question!

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Jay128

To Puppy or not to Puppy, that is the question!

Post by Jay128 » 02 Jan 2017, 18:43

Just wondering if I could pick others minds regarding bringing another doodle into the household.
Poppy is four and would be five before we added to our family and we were really considering an addition until this Christmas. We had friends visiting with a new baby and Poppy would not leave me alone whilst I had hold of her. She was amazed when the toy, I'm sure she thought that's what the baby was, made small noises and became very excited wanting to sniff and see this tiny creature. Hubby and sons think she was jealous!
We also had my sons and their two dogs, Malamute and German shepherd, to stay for a week and in the end I had to leave Poppy in the lounge rather then in the kitchen with them as she would stay out in the garden rather than be in the kitchen with them, she fits through the cat flap, I thought it was to cold for her to be outside.
Poppy is very very well behaved, always has been. I think she is an oddity in the doodle world, she has only ever done two naughty things, the same thing twice and it involved human stupidity, my husband, and black pudding!
She is my doodle through and through and if I am in the house she is never far from me. She will leave my hubbies knee and come to me when I come home and looks to me for everything.
Would I be mad to upset the apple cart by introducing another doodle child? Would I ever have the same relationship with another baby dood? I sometimes think I would have to let my hubby take the lead with the new dood but I do the training, every aspect and he won't let Poppy off the lead if I'm not there as he is afraid I would divorce him if he lost her, I might just! :shock:
I'm sorry but I have written a book, Any advice, stories, tales of positive or negative experiences gratefully received,
Thanks J
ImageImage

linny

Re: To Puppy or not to Puppy, that is the question!

Post by linny » 03 Jan 2017, 13:58

Dogs are much like children when it comes to "Mummy" there are bound to be initial jealousies but it's how you deal with them that's important.
Poppy must be number one when a puppy arrives for the first time....so...no matter how cute he or she is always introduce it in a matter of fact manner.
If you can (and the breeder allows ) let her meet the pup before you actually bring it home.Also leave 2 blankets with the breeder ...one for pup when it eventually leaves the litter and one to give to Poppy a few days before you bing the pup home.
I have found Doods to be very gracious when it comes to sharing a home and all new introductions here have been very easy...
Having the sanctuary means that there is often some sort of animal needing TLC at home so my boys (and girls) are generally very used to comings and goings They are all very partial to lambs, goat kids , and kittens and a new pup has generally been accepted without too many problems

Jay128

Post by Jay128 » 04 Jan 2017, 12:06

Thank you, the idea about the blankets is a good one. We are going to try and contact the breeder we got Poppy from to see if she is still breeding doodles. The other breed the boys love is the cocker spaniel cross with a poodle but I don't have any experience of them. We got Poppy at Christmas and really want to do the same by which time Poppy will be five.
Thanks Again :D
ImageImage

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 04 Jan 2017, 13:04

Hi Jay,
One thing to remember, is that every Doodle has their own personality... As you may remember, our Ianto is submissive, boisterous, mischievous but utterly obsessed by people - he absolutely loves everyone!
We passed on the opportunity to have one of his half-brothers as he was undergoing treatment for his HD at the time. His breeder called by with one of his half-sisters and he was brilliant with her, making us wish that we'd been able to take on a puppy.
When I found his 'adoptive' brother, I wasn't concerned about how he would react, as I'd seen how he behaved with his half-sister...
Sadly, things didn't work out as well as we'd expected (although that may have been due to several unforeseen circumstances). One problem was that Iant needed to be crated/separated for about three months - just as they should have been bonding... It's taken longer for them to settle together, although things are improving at last.
Practically, you'll need to walk the puppy separately for a while, whilst you are training him or her. For me, this has extended into walking them separately continuously, as although the pup is now trained and walks well, he is dog- and people-reactive and it was affecting Ianto's behaviour too.
I've found that dogs are exactly like our children - you love them both equally, but differently as they have their own characters and need to be treated in different ways...
I know that loads of people have two or more dogs, and everything works out fine - but you do need to think carefully about how another pooch would affect the family dynamics... Like you, I'm the person who does all the training (and, in my case, watches it being ruined by those who can't be bothered... :? )
Now I've finished my Cassandra-ing (woe, woe, woe-is-me!!) I hope all goes well with your puppy search, I know you and your family have enough love to spare for a new little soul in your lives...
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

Jay128

Post by Jay128 » 07 Jan 2017, 12:41

Thanks for your input it is good to hear different angles. I think what worried me more is that Poppy is human focused. She will interact with other dogs but doesn't actively seek them out for play or company. When we walk her she is off into the bushes to investigate every smell, will say a basic high and have a bit of a run around with any dog that turns up but is soon off doing her own thing again. We met a beautiful cockerpoo puppy the other day and she wasn't happy when it came to say hello to me and only left my side when the puppy had moved on. The boys hope that with a puppy she might mother it a bit and be happy to have company.
Friends think I'm mad stressing over this and say if we want another doodle it's up to us not Poppy but Poppy is as much a part of the family as anyone and I want her to be happy.
They think I am mad! Am I???
ImageImage

suzi23173

Post by suzi23173 » 07 Jan 2017, 13:01

They obviously don't understand doodle love. They are not just ordinary dogs- they are so clever and sensitive. It would be awful not to consider how she will cope with it.
I think if you manage the puppy stage and make sure Poppy has space and can get away and still gets lots of love and attention, then she will be fine.
It won't be a crazy puppy for ever and when it eventually calms down, she will have a companion.
Tessy got bounced by a cockerpoo the other day and came and hid behind be because she'd had enough. Its funny to see when she used to be the one doing the bouncing!
You are right to worry- she probably would rather have you to herself but that doesn't mean that you can't manage the situation to ensure it doesn't make her unhappy. xx
Love,
Suzi and Tess.
xxx

val&finn

Post by val&finn » 07 Jan 2017, 23:36

Hi Jay, we didn't introduce the second dog until Finn was nearly 6 years old. Finn is very human focused but also likes to play with other dogs, though he is very exuberant which is not always appreciated by a playmate. Hubby was very sceptical about adding another Doodle (never really considered another breed). We had good feedback from the dog boarders where Finn usually was one of several dogs to stay. To test the waters I invited other dogs into our home/garden to see how he would react and hosted a dog party where we had six canines in the house. Finn remained calm whilst his guests jumped in and out of his bed, turned his toy box upside down etc. That sealed it for me.

Finn has always got on with girls and people we talked to confirmed it would be better to have one of each rather than two boys. We didn't want a puppy as we were concerned that she may pick up one of Finn's less salubrious habits...

We started looking for a rescue doodle but girls are rather hard to come by. After several months of looking we came across a six month old Goldendoodle girl on Preloved (I know a lot of fellow Doodlers have great misgivings, but it worked very well for us). She had been returned to the breeder after a couple of months with a family with small children and the breeder couldn't keep her forever as she had another litter planned. We drove all the way from Sussex to Gloucester to see her and her mother together. We went out for a short walk with them and Finn and the moment I saw Izzy playing with her mum (rough and tumble) I knew she was hardened enough for Finn. We have never looked back!

At home I put up Finn's baby pen in the dining room and he went to his bedroom. Both rooms had kiddy gates so they could see each other across the hall. I sat with Izzy who understandingly was upset and whined. Then a sharp brief bark, Finn had left his bed and come to the gate. I let him out, he marched straight into the baby pen and lay down. Izzy joined him and I went to bed. In the morning I found both sound asleep, so from day 2 no more separate bedrooms!

Finn rarely asserts his authority and has endless patience, Izzy has given him a new lease of life - he returned to puppyhood. Whilst he isn't bothered if he is on his own, Izzy does not like it if she is without Finn, although we are
now taking her out on her own quite often as Finn needs less exercise.

We've never regretted it - except perhaps for the vet costs...

My advice is to expose Poppy to other dogs, go on joint walks with dogs of the breed you consider, join Doodle walks and take it from there. Best wishes, Val, Finn and Izzy
Val, Finn Doodle & Izzy Whizz

Jay128

Post by Jay128 » 08 Jan 2017, 14:06

Thanks, some good points made. When we introduced Jess the German shepherd to our golden retriever Tess it gave her a new lease of life and I am convinced we got to have her with us for at least an extra year, she seemed to return to puppyhood. I thick I might try some of the doodle meets again but it's difficult if they are on a Sunday morning as I am in church, it might help to have other people see her with other doodles and see what they think.
Thanks for getting back to me all input is welcome. :D
ImageImage

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 08 Jan 2017, 23:39

I smiled Jay when you wrote Poppy is not too bothered by other dogs when out as many of us spend years cajoling our doods to be less dog orientated and more human focused. :D Enjoy it!
Have you pondered why you want another dog, if it's for Poppy I'd reconsider carefully as she sounds rather content as is.

Equally most dogs are adaptable to your lifestyle, some taking longer to accept 'interlopers' than others. Guess you have remembered things like exponential mud, mess, those endless wet towels and going on hols.
No doubt all shall work out fine yet bear mind how you may need to adjust your life if you end up with a Cassandra :wink: situ or mine where one will walk for hours,the other won't wish to put a paw out the door for days or goes out yet refuses to walk in a given direction,couldbe 10 yards or a mile outfrom the garden, reason beknown mostly only to her. Everything is workable but can be time comsuming and occasionally exasperating,despite loving each dearly.
Finally my girl is a people person but accepts others ,I think she spends a long time(months) waiting for them to leave then eventually concedes they seem to be here long term.
Good luck with your decisions

Jay128

Post by Jay128 » 09 Jan 2017, 00:16

Thanks Pollydoodle,
Poppy is not one for huge exercise, never has been. I sometimes wonder if it's because I have had serious hip and knee problems and not long after she came to us I couldn't take her out. I played games with her indoors and in the garden tiring her mind rather than running her for ever. Even now if it's horrible outside she doesn't want to go and as long as I amuse her and play games with her she is content. She has her mad doodle dash and settles down.
She doesn't go upstairs and only gets on the furniture if we bring her blankets out, then she knows she's allowed. she was clean and dry at night after the first night and has never destroyed anything. She sits in her bed when visitors arrive. When we took her camping we left her in the boot of our car, tethered with the boot open, water and a treat outside the window where we could see her whilst we went and had an afternoon tea for our wedding anniversary. People couldn't believe how good she was. We camp and kayak, she has her own lifejacket and goes everywhere with us. What are the chances of us getting another such well behaved doodle?
I think I will start saving up for a new family member whilst introducing Poppy to new pooches and just see how we go. God help us people think I'm nuts, perhaps I am. I don't think I gave this much planning to having our second child! :shock:
ImageImage