Max distance for a wlk

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Gareth

Max distance for a wlk

Post by Gareth » 11 Jan 2017, 16:54

I love to walk Alfie in the countryside, we walk upto about 6 miles and he has a great time.

Does anyone know what is the furthest (safe health wise) I could walk with a Labradoodle? He's one year old.

Thanks!

jonb

Re: Max distance for a wlk

Post by jonb » 11 Jan 2017, 17:47

I suspect its not so much distance and how much exertion they will have to do plus how big they are. A long flat'ish walk is probably less hard work than a shorter one that is uphill etc. Also you may find the bigger doodles will find it harder work as well lugging their bigger frames aruond compared to a medium or mini doodle.

Roker goes to my parents a couple of times a week and at least once a week my dad takes him out into the Peak District and will do 8/9/10 miles with Roker off the lead for the majority so he will do more. A good kip after and he's fine! Most he's done is just shy of 13 miles around Monsal Dale in the Peak District and again after a kip in the pub after and at home he was fine the following day.

Roker is just over 3 now and a medium doodle and loves it being out and about. I dread to think how many miles he's done over the last couple of years between walks with us and my dad!! We're out in the Peak District on the Moors up above Baslow this weekend having done two big walks round Ashover last weekend.

Bid

Post by Bid » 12 Jan 2017, 09:23

I agree that size will affect how far they can walk, and also inclination. My 5 year old Beamish is a big heavy lad, and he's also bone idle! We walk him twice a day for an hour, but he potter along - no running or anything. If I wanted to do a long walk with him I would have to build him up to it, but I don't think he would enjoy it.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

jonb

Post by jonb » 12 Jan 2017, 10:11

Agree about the inclination bit....Roker loves being out and about so is always raring to go. First 10\15mins he is hurtling about and from then on he walks along steadily stopping to investigate things now and then, getting ahead of us, falling behind before catching up again. I always say he does at least half again the distance we have normally tracked as doing. Add in some ball chasing and its probably double!! He's a proper little explorer as well often venturing off into the undergrowth until he realises he's been left behind and comes haring after us to catch up.

In one way it makes this time of year a bit more difficult as really doesnt like lead walks on the pavement and he can be a pain even sitting down and refusing to walk.

We5Kings

Post by We5Kings » 13 Jan 2017, 10:23

Dude has always loved long walks. In fact one of my first posts on here was when he was very young and I was worried that I might be over walking him! Paul takes him for long walks on the hills and on coastal path walks when we are on holiday. Only once has he " overdone" it on a very up and down Cornish coast walk- they were out most of the day and Dood could barely move afterwards! But next morning he was full of beans ( although we had a quiet day after his exertions!)
I think you just have to read the signs really. Dude is a slim poodly Doodle so he's not carrying much weight. Mind you, he's equally happy to have very lazy days with a couple of ,on lead ,village walks. Anny

Gareth

Post by Gareth » 13 Jan 2017, 15:14

Thanks everyone for the input, that helps a lot and I will see how it goes :D

jonb

Post by jonb » 13 Jan 2017, 15:30

As mentioned if he has a really long walk we would probably not do so much the following day but you can normally tell from how they are acting. The day after we did the 13 mile walk it was fairly obvious the following day that he wasnt that bothered about doing to much so just let him rest with a gentle run round the fields with his ball. That said it normally takes something like that for this to be the case. Normally he's full of beans again after a good kip!!

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 14 Jan 2017, 23:53

The only thing I would add is to check that your dood is in good health. One of mine was diagnosed with HD at thirteen months old, and we have to make sure that he doesn't over-do the exercise. You wouldn't know that he'd got anything wrong with him, he just had a slightly strange gait. Our other dood is smaller (about the size of a miniature Poodle) and has boundless energy. I think they say that the more exercise they have, the more they want. :lol:

Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

Bid

Post by Bid » 15 Jan 2017, 01:08

jonb wrote:
In one way it makes this time of year a bit more difficult as really doesnt like lead walks on the pavement and he can be a pain even sitting down and refusing to walk.
I find the opposite! There is no livestock in the fields, and no ground nesting birds on the heaths so we can walk wherever we want in the winter without bothering about pavements :D :D
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

jonb

Post by jonb » 16 Jan 2017, 10:35

Bid wrote:I find the opposite! There is no livestock in the fields, and no ground nesting birds on the heaths so we can walk wherever we want in the winter without bothering about pavements :D :D
Yes know what you mean but in terms of us with us working etc the light tends to have gone out of the day by the time we're home or if we got up early its not got light as yet. We're lucky that my dad has him two days a week, we've found a good doggy day care person for one or two days and after living at the in laws for a couple of months due to building work they are happy to have him so he is currently getting loads of time out in the day so its not an issue. Still the odd day though where it happens due to him being at home whilst we're at work but i think with all the exercise on other days he likes the occasional quiet day at home to chill on his sofa!!