including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 22 Feb 2017, 11:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Introducing the Truffle Hound!
PostPosted: 12 Feb 2017, 15:15 

Beamish & I went out training to find truffles yesterday! We joined my friend Caroline and her lab Muttley on the training session, and they had a fab time. Initially we had to find the little pot with truffle scent in it - Beam just found all the little pots, so the instructor put them under flower pots - cue Beamish putting a flowerpot on his nose and running about with it!

Next they had to find the tennis ball with the truffle scent on it, but Beam found the basket with the tennis balls in and carried that around. I knew then that Beam was bored, but the instructor made it harder, and Beamish really had to concentrate then rather than playing the fool :roll:

By the end of the session both dogs were finding the truffle oil when it was hidden from us - it took them about 10 seconds only!

It is the end of the truffle season now, so we have to practice all summer and get searching come the autumn!

Post subject: Re: Introducing the Truffle Hound!
PostPosted: 14 Feb 2017, 21:48 

Sounds like do much fun for both of you :D I love watching how engaged they get with scent work.

It's odd we walk our doods endlessly as they 'need a walk' yet with such powerful noses they probably could do half the walks and more nose work and be far more satisfied. I for one sometimes forget even the simple nosework games round thd house and how tiring scent work is.

So next season Beamish needs a new label for his harness!