including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 15:35

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Pup won't walk!!!!
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2017, 15:11 

So we have a 15 week old puppy. He's been fine walking with me up until a couple of days ago when my husband and I and our two children walked to the local shop, hubby went in the shop with the kids, and I carried on walking with Teddy, we'll tried anyway! Teddy just wouldn't walk, he sat in the middle of the pavement looking back towards the shop and refused to move. After a few minutes of trying to get him to walk, I gave up and walked back to the shop to hubby and kids. Ted was fine then!

Tried to walk him again that evening but again he refused to walk and wanted to turn back towards home.

The next day my hubby took him out and he walked VERY weirdly (hubby recorded it!) teddy walked right behind him between his legs, like he couldn't get close enough!
So I tried again the same day, and again teddy just wouldn't budge without my hubby.
I've tried a few times since but still not got more than a few meters down the road.

I spend all day with teddy so im the main one that walks him, but with him now refusing to walk with me, he doesn't go on a walk!!

What do I do!?!

Post subject: Re: Pup won't walk!!!!
PostPosted: 30 Apr 2017, 14:47 

Hello, I'm replying because a friend of ours has had exactly the same problem with her 15 week old Cocker Spaniel puppy Tally.
Tally point blank refused to go out unless my friend AND her husband walked her! This problem lasted 2weeks and now she's totally fine again! :roll: At the time my friend ( who has had many Cockers) was at a loss but she persevered and insisted on a walk, even if it was just up and down the drive. We think maybe Tally was spooked? I know that our Dude sometimes gets bees in his bonnet about NOT going in a particular direction , and will Go On Strike :roll: I can usually entice him with treats( he's almost 4now)
Another thought, in Tallys case, she had often been on walks with 2or more family members. Perhaps she felt vulnerable without the complete pack? Anyway, it will resolve itself I reckon, with patience and perseverance! :D Anny

Post subject: Re: Pup won't walk!!!!
PostPosted: 04 May 2017, 09:16 

I never had any problems with Lulu but my previous dog did have problems at first. I walked ahead with him coaxing him until he walked

Have you tried returning him to basics. Practicing in the garden on a walk

Or driving somewhere unfamiliar to him (or carrying him if he is not too heavy) to get him somewhere unfamiliar.

It may be a way to see what it is that seems to have spooked him

ImageImage