including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 19 Jan 2018, 04:07

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Toooooo Hot!!
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2017, 14:05 

How are your doodles coping in this heat!?
Dude is down to 2walks a day and is sleeping the day away on the cold kitchen floor. Sensible boy!Every so often he asks to go in the garden with his ball, but after a couple of throws he's heading back indoors. Yesterday a neighbour told me her Cocker Spaniel had burnt his paws on the pavement going to the park at 2pm!! I think this must be one of the hottest spells in Somerset for many years! (33degs yesterday) Anny

Post subject: Re: Toooooo Hot!!
PostPosted: 20 Jun 2017, 14:42 

I dont want to complain as we get so little good weather, But it is HOT!!! :D :D
Past few days have started like this:
Sun umbrella out - check
Water bowls placed in shaded areas - check
Kongs in freezer- check
Paddling pools filled - check
Hosepipe on standby - check
Dog mats scattered under trees - check
I tend to fetch them indoors around noon and they sleep on the kitchen tiles for a few hours.
Kobi still wants to play ball, but like Dude after a few throws he goes and slumps in the paddling pool.
Think the heat has caught up with us all today so we are staying indoors until it cools down.
Enjoy :) :)

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2017, 18:02 

Lots of evening trips to the beach for a swim!

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: 20 Jun 2017, 22:03 

We have been out walking at 6.30 every morning, so Harley gets a good run before it gets too hot. Then he has slept all day, just moving around the house to find the coolest spot.

Then an evening walk around 10pm. Then Harley is still panting terrible.

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2017, 08:37 

Roker has been to the south of France for the last 3 years when its pushed into the high 30s but still isnt keen on the heat and although we havent resorted to his Aquamat Chiller coat as yet like we do in France we've not done much with him to be safe. Most of our downstairs is now tiled so he's been finding various cool spots to lay down and trips out have been limited to a drive to the local park to play in the river where its cooler in the shade. I played cricket both days at the weekend and saw folk out walking dogs and i was thinking it was far to warm for them and there was a story on the Daily Mail website that someone sent me about a presenter from the Antiques Roadshow who had 2 labradors and both died after overheating whilst out walking one day over the weekend.

My wife brought Roker up to see me at cricket on Sunday and he basically laid in the shade or in the paddling pool someone had set up after having a drink out of it. He did have a little run round with a cockerpoo and a 16 week old Spaniel that were also up there but none of them lasted that long before they were back drinking out of the paddling pool!!

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2017, 13:35 

I wish Dude would go in water! Any water would do, but NO WAY :roll:
But never mind, he seems happy enough to chill on the cold hard floor.....with the occasional ball session. This morning we walked even earlier but he was still panting. I think it will be cooler here from tomorrow
Which would suit us all. Anny

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2017, 17:26 

Stout has been wearing his cooling coat all day, Chris has been squirting it throughout the day to make sure it stays wet. I had a hospital appointment on Monday so we left his coat on the tiled floor in the kitchen, for some reason he wouldn't go anywhere near it! We were worried about leaving it on him while we were out. He also has his paddling pool in the back garden and is having a game of ball in the garden in the morning rather than the park as there is more shade here and he can pop back in the house when he gets too hot (normally after 5 mins! ). I also had 'help' with the watering last night, I think stout ended up wetter than the plants with me a close second!

My poor little parrots are even feeling the heat and are being sprayed with a plant sprayed occasionally, they are also missing not coming out for a fly with all the windows being open.

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

PostPosted: 21 Jun 2017, 22:41 

HEAR YE HEAR YE IT IS NEVER TOOOOOOO HOT :shock: 8) :D

Just saying!

Ok we did have a few secs of rising panic yesterday evening when 'he who follows his nose' errr followed it, unbeknown to us and for too long. Sounding like a juggernaut panting. Wet towels and ancient desk fan dug out of storage pdq.
Complete contrast the other dood asks to be let out into the courtyard so she can bask in the sun for ages. I have bribed her back indoors the last few days but she absolutely loves it, as do I.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2017, 12:19 

So glad it has cooled down a bit!

I have been taking mine out at 7.00 in the morning and then that's it. Beamish has really struggled this week :-(

I actually cancelled some customers walks as imo it would have been dangerous to walk them lunchtime or afternoon, so instead I did the rounds letting them out in the garden, and playing etc.

PostPosted: 24 Jun 2017, 18:20 

I have quarry tiles in the kitchen and floor fans in different parts of the house so my lot have spent most of their time lounging under the fans....then we walked along the beach at night... I'm not a lover of hot weather and this was too hot for me. and for Ambrose who seemed to feel the heat more than Jethro. .
We took the Grandchildren to the beach at Dawlish and it was 31 degrees there... :shock: .....they didn't notice but I was like a wilting weed :roll: