including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 16:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: nasty incident in park
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2017, 11:49 

Moose is a pretty chilled out pup (he's 4.5 months) and very friendly. I always put him on his lead, or hold onto him when we see another dog approaching, as you never know, and I don't want him bounding up to other people's dogs until I know they are happy with it...as Im sure you can imagine a big bouncy grinning doodle-pup is not something that everyone wants in their space!!

This morning, went for a walk with my friend and her miniature dood. We saw 2 dogs coming with their owner, so I bobbed him on his lead. Their dogs came up to us.....then without any sniffing or growling or any warning at all, the cocker spaniel immediately went for Moose. Moose screamed and tried to get away, but it wouldn't let go. I tried to grab Moose, but couldn't so ended up trying to get the other dog to let go by using my arm. Eventually it let go and Moose leapt up into my arms still squealing.

I informed the owner that I couldn't see any puncture marks, but to be honest I wasn't able to look too closely at the time as there was no way Moose was going to go on the floor whilst the dog was still around, and manhandling 13kg of wet dog is not my forte!

We all went on our way.

Moose seems fine, he was playing with my friends dog as we headed back to the car, and sniffed happily at another puppy later on. I am not too concerned about him, but I'm still very shocked that this has happened. There was no warning at all from the dog involved before it went straight for his throat.

I don't want to start to worry about every dog I see, as I don't want that to transmit to Moose. Equally, I know that all dogs can do this, no matter how out of character is may seem and nothing is certain etc etc. However, I am now wondering whether I am missing something (this is my first dog)..... I always assumed that if your dog is off a lead, you are pretty confident that it won't attack another. Equally, if you have seen an owner put their dog onto a lead as you approach, that is surely a pretty clear signal that either they are not as confident about their dog's behaviour, or that their dog needs a bit of space. In those circumstances, surely you would call your dogs back to you, or call out to the owner to let them know the dogs are friendly?

Am I completely wrong in this way of thinking?

Thanks

Post subject: Re: nasty incident in park
PostPosted: 10 Jul 2017, 16:41 

Hi,sorry to hear about your experience.Unfortunately there are no hard and fast rules about how other dogs off lead will react.As a trainer I see this situation a lot.The main point is although your confidence is a bit dented after the incident this may never happen again and so as not to let your nerves transfer to your puppy try to clear your mind every time you go for a walk.As often as possible vary where you go for your walks.A good purchase would be a canister of Dog deterrent spray available from most pet suppliers.This is pocket size and is simply an aerosol of compressed air which makes the loudest noise you can imagine when discharged.Its called Pet Corrector is in a red canister and costs about £5.It wont upset your puppy if used but will help if you encounter the problem again.However as I said this was probably a one off.Finally it is only normal for older dogs to put puppies in their place if they become to boisterous (I know that's not what happened) and sometimes older dogs if not trained properly will become to dominant with puppies.The main thing is deep breathe,big smile,loads of confidence and enjoy your puppy,i love his name.Hope ive been able to help.Cheers Alan

Post subject: Re: nasty incident in park
PostPosted: 23 Sep 2017, 09:55 

This was a horrible thing to happen but as previously said it might never happen again. It is understandable that you are nervous.
My son and I took our three dogs out a couple of weeks ago together, Poppy doodle, Jess the German shepherd and shako, a very beautiful but slightly thick malamute. As we walked we became aware of a woman with a boxer, off lead. Our three were off lead, minding their own business, when the boxer went for shako. Fortunately shako has the malamute thick coat and despite this boxer attacking him, it was an attack, it didn't do any harm to him. We grabbed the other two as Jess will not stand for this and would have waded in to protect her pal and despite her being old, if she had waded in, shako would have joined in the fight, he takes his lead from his older sister and it could have been carnage. Poppy did as she was told and returned to me as when she is faced with aggression she will not back down. She has never bitten but does show aggression with body stance, growl and showing of teeth if she feels we might be under threat. this is only the second instance of aggression from another dog in nearly six years. The first was when a staff went for her and I was shocked then as she didn't run back to us she fought her corner and the staff was removed by it's owners, no lead, no collar, very apologetic and I got the impression it had done this before.
The woman with the boxer didn't even speak to us, I was furious but was persuaded to keep quiet by my son as no damage had been done.
These things happen, there are irresponsible owners out there that have no concern for the damage that their dog might do. Where we live we have a mixture of those that have dogs that are part of the family and those that keep them for protection and as a deterrent. It's horrible, it un nerves us and as hard as it is we cannot show that to our dogs. I have seen Poppys reaction when someone gets to close to me and she doesn't like them, people or dogs. Her whole body language changes, she gets between us or will circle me as if saying she is mine, keep away. This has made me aware of other dogs body language. Poppy is the happiest dog in the world but after this happened I mixed her with as many good staffs as I could find so that she didn't become afraid, she was young like yours and now has no fear of the breed.
Be brave, try not to let your worry transfer to your pup and try and mix with good dogs, Jay