including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 03:12

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Quirky Behaviour
PostPosted: 27 Jul 2017, 12:29 

I'm sure like most of our doodles Roker has his own little quirky things that he does and a lot of the time i can sort of make sense of it. When we're out playing with his ball he will drop it in on the floor and then roll around on it on his back which i suspect is just him enjoying himself, he will have a drink out of a puddle and then wee straight back into it, if you give him a treat he will leg it to another part of the house to make sure he has it to himself....the one i am struggling to understand though is when i put his food down he will move the bowl around the utility room with his nose for a bit before he eventually settles down to eat it. Almost as if he wants to eat somewhere else or attack the bowl from a different angle.

No idea why he's doing it and also no idea if other peoples doodles do it either?

Post subject: Re: Quirky Behaviour
PostPosted: 29 Jul 2017, 15:47 

They certainly keep us entertained and endlessly guessing why.

Neither of mine do that with their bowls. I feed them out of heavy ceramic bowls (serving dishes if am honest) . Do you think he is checking for hidden tablets :wink: Or replacing the smell of your hands with his scent on the bowl. Curious to know if you've tried different bowl and he still does it.

Btw rolling on his ball, is it playing but also putting his scent on the ball - it's mine? Running off with treat - it's mine! Peeing in the puddle- I was here, my scent. No idea of course but wonder if there is a connection to subtle behaviours.
Fun to ponder what our doods are really up to!

Post subject: Re: Quirky Behaviour
PostPosted: 31 Jul 2017, 09:06 

We dont have another bowl to try as the other one we had is down at my parents house for when he's down there and has a rubber strip around the bottom to stop it sliding so he wouldnt be able to do it with that one anyway. Its only a light metal bowl we use for him at our house so very easy to move especially on the tiled floor. Its just a weird thing he does and he did do it at my in laws when we stopped there for a while when we had the building work going on so its not an environment thing either.

Agree that the other things are him making things his to an extent although when it comes to treats he will happily let me take it off him if i needed to so he's not possessive about it.

One of his better quirks was his protective side yesterday.....my wife, who happens to be 8 months pregnant currently, tripped over whilst out walking and in an instant Roker was there sat with her to see if she was ok. He's also done it with me when i slipped on some steps once, he was about 100yds away, heard me fall over and hurtled back to check on me.