including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 19:24

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Labrador v labradoodle temperement
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2017, 16:50 

Hello I'm looking for some advice...
I have recently lost my yellow Labrador of 12 years and am hoping to get a new puppy soon. I work in a primary school and I am hoping to train my pup to be a 'school dog'. My instinct was to get another lab as their gentle nature is almost guaranteed. But a labradoodle would be better for kids with allergies.

I have read lots of posts on this forum and now I'm doubting the labradoodle choice as it seems almost impossible to know what you're going to end up with...shedding or non-shedding and more importantly temperament.

Is there a way to improve your chances of ending up with a low shedding, calm labradoodle?

Teresa

Post subject: Re: Labrador v labradoodle temperement
PostPosted: 15 Nov 2017, 23:53 

In a word "no".
Allergy story re labradoodles is a myth.
Guess some will say the so called aussie doodle would moult less. Yet that usually equals visits to groomers every 6 or 8 weeks.

On temperament I don't think you can know that for any dog. Both the doodle and the lab can be bonkers! Seeing both parents may give you some inkling and sounding out a good breeder. With a doodle you often get some poodle brain power to deal with too.

Hope you find the pup you want and someone about to look after pup when you're at work. BTW think hard about getting a pup in winter, no fun doing toilet training in bitter cold and dark, nevermind the rain.

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2017, 11:02 

Can vouch for the getting a pup in winter comment...we picked Roker up in December and i spent most of then through Jan and Feb stood in the back yard cold and wet, wasnt much fun!!

As for temperament, a lot of it can be what you put into it as well. Roker was definitely lively, probably a nice way of wording it, but now at 4 and has been for a while now the most chilled out dog you will see. He is great around our 6 week old daughter having taken her arrival all in her stride but we put a lot of training work in from pretty much the moment we got him, training classes at 14 weeks etc, and make sure he gets plenty of exercise so he can be lively in the right places at the right time. At times its hard to believe the big brown scruffy mess flaked out across the settee taking up all the room whilst snoring so you have to turn the telly up is the same dog as the one that barely misses a muddy puddle or can be seen rolling around in tall wet grass on top of his ball eventually appearing looking like he's swum the channel!!

PostPosted: 16 Nov 2017, 14:18 

Hello and welcome!

I have one of each - a mini poodle/lab cross and an Australian labradoodle.

Although they are both great dogs, my Aussie doodle is calmer, more cuddly and easier all round. He also doesn’t shed. Many are bred from therapy lines. They do cost quite a bit though!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

X

PostPosted: 18 Nov 2017, 22:42 

I have three labradoodles and they are all different - in both coat and temperament! So yes - unpredictable!

One (Daisy) sheds a little, is very clever with a sense of humour, and really loves children.

One (Beamish) sheds a little, is basically a hairy lab - is enthusiastic about all people but doesn't differentiate between adults and children.

The third (Poppy) doesn't shed at all, is very gentle (She is a visiting therapy dog) but she prefers not to be around children as their loud noises and sudden movements alarm her.

Of the three only Daisy would make a good school dog, but I wouldn't have said that before she was 5 years old - she was a naughty dog until then :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 19 Nov 2017, 14:38 

As children with allergies to dogs react to the saliva and dander , not just the hair I would think that there might be a problem with any school dog?
Our local primary do not allow any dogs on the school site for this reason.
If you already have permission to bring a dog into school perhaps a Standard Poodle might be a better option?...at least you will know for certain that shedding will be light (if at all )
The poodle is a great dog and without the fancy clip it's pretty hard to tell a Pood from a Dood :)

PostPosted: 20 Nov 2017, 14:39 

As i'm sure you expected,lots of different opinions.I would stick with what you know and go for another Lab.