including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 19 Oct 2018, 14:02

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Puppy fur?
PostPosted: 07 Apr 2018, 12:40 

Has anybody else’s doodles coat changed dramatically as they’ve got older? Stanley started off quite curly all over with more of a poodle coat but now his legs and tail have a shorter dense fur more like a lab and his face and body are still quite fine and poodle like. He looks quite comical at the mo as his legs and tail don’t match his body, and wondered if he will lose his poodle hair and be more lab all over or if he will forever be a mismatch? We love him regardless, he’s also got lots of white hairs growing through too, I guess with cross breeds it’s hard to know what they will end up like?! He’s nearly 5 months old now and is moulting a lot. Any thoughts?

Post subject: Re: Puppy fur?
PostPosted: 08 Apr 2018, 07:38 

Hi "owned by Stanley" our Holly is now over 5 years her coat has not changed much since her first wash and trim around 6 months. It took me a while to understand the poodle/lab coat complexity. The lab coat became trapped under the curlier poodle coat and at 6 months whilst I thought I was brushing correctly, groomer found a matted base, I picked up a very different looking dog from the groomers that time. Like Stanley she was all legs and tail, she has been groomed every 7-8 weeks I would not dare work out how much it has cost us, as her coat is a thick fleece and does not shed at all it needs the attention. As he appears more Lab coat than poodle he may shed more, time will tell. Plenty of brushing to clear the puppy coat at this time. The beauty of doodles is they are all different.

PostPosted: 08 Apr 2018, 17:38 

kathiedoodle wrote:
Hi "owned by Stanley" our Holly is now over 5 years her coat has not changed much since her first wash and trim around 6 months. It took me a while to understand the poodle/lab coat complexity. The lab coat became trapped under the curlier poodle coat and at 6 months whilst I thought I was brushing correctly, groomer found a matted base, I picked up a very different looking dog from the groomers that time. Like Stanley she was all legs and tail, she has been groomed every 7-8 weeks I would not dare work out how much it has cost us, as her coat is a thick fleece and does not shed at all it needs the attention. As he appears more Lab coat than poodle he may shed more, time will tell. Plenty of brushing to clear the puppy coat at this time. The beauty of doodles is they are all different.

Thank you so much for your helpful answer. I have been giving Stan a good brush once a day to get the little ‘plugs’ out that cling to the other fur but had no idea how many he still had until I went thru his coat properly. No mats yet but have had a good go at him today and will continue to do so now I know what I’m up against. I am also going to book him in to the groomers. He’s only had a bath and face trim so far. Nice to know that this is ‘normal’ so appreciate your comment. :D

PostPosted: 18 Apr 2018, 10:51 

For what it’s worth ... Benjy is three parts poodle to one part lab (plus four parts food processor!). By five months his coat was shaggy and starting to get dreadlocked, and he was begging on old English sheepdog. First grooming and he came out all fluffy and poodle-like, and a week on the fluffhas gone down and everything’s going curly and looking very poodle. But he’s got the lab ears which are smooth. But no moulting, thank heavens!

PostPosted: 14 May 2018, 18:56 

Hi y'all

This is very interesting.

My 18 month three parts poodle / one part lab was also by five months starting to get dread-locks, and still does sometimes. But I have been home-grooming slowly, and he is now curly-wavy and not very poodle-like. Our regime took him a while to buy in to because each time he has to sniff and accept all the equipment I use.
He does little molting. Mostly he is lovely. I would say grooming for him is getting easy.

PostPosted: 19 May 2018, 16:32 

A month on from the first grooming and Benjy is getting shaggy again. His back is mostly very curly, but with a good brushing it goes soft and puppyish again. We think at his next groom he’ll get a close trim for the summer heat, which will probably then grow back pretty much all curls.