including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 15:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: My 8 month labradoodle has loads and loads of grey hair!
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2007, 12:20 

Hi is anyone else sharing in my experience? I have a beautiful 8 month old male chocolate Labradoodle, which we purchased when he was 9 weeks old. He has been an absolute pleasure from the day we got him, easy to train and he has a lovely nature. He is playful and bouncy when in the garden and on walks, but has a lovely gentle and calm way around the house. He is now nearly fully grown and has that lovely puppy way about him, but has loads and loads of grey hair. If he didnt have that bouncy way about him, to look at you would think he was a much older. He started showing some grey hair at around 6 months the odd one here and there like some get, but by the time he was 7 months he had loads of grey hair around his eyes, and two very big patches on his back. One close to his neck and one close to his back end. He also has a large patch of grey on his tail. Do you own a young Labradoodle that also has lots of grey hair, or do you have any suggestions, I would love to hear from you. I love my dog dearly, but wonder why he is going so grey when he is just a puppy? Is there anything I can do?

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2007, 12:28 

My 7 month old boy (F1b) is exactly the same. The grey hairs started to show on his back about 2 months ago and his back is probably now 50% grey. It doesn't affect how we feel about him, although I must say I'm disappointed as I wanted a black dog!! He looks older than I do with all that grey........

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2007, 12:29 

Gunner, also chocolate, is 18 months old and has the odd grey hair here and there, not sure of the reason, i guess it must be a genetic thing :)

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2007, 12:34 

My Lottie (also 8 months) is black but has an aubern tinge and is starting to get white fur around her mouth. The breeder told us this could happen as there is a real mixture of colours in her background. We have her "pedigree" and there are white poodles, black labs, chocolate labs, yellow labs etc so I guess it isn't so surprising.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2007, 12:37 

:lol:

Hi there

We have a black/silver Doodle too. Not suprising as her father is a silver Standard Poodle :lol:

DON'T TRUST THE PUPPY FINDER!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2007, 12:49 

yep Scruff is the same - he is getting more and more strands as he gets old - 10mths old

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2007, 12:49 

Thank you for your comments so far. However my lovely dog does not have the odd silver or odd grey hair like you have mentioned, he has loads. I feel so sad for him, as he is just 8 months old, but looks so much older. What will he be like when he is a year old if he carries on going grey at the same rate. Can I do anything to slow this down or reverse the process? If only!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2007, 13:25 

LOL, I wish there was something to slow down the process, I would use it on my own hair! Rosie and myself certainly bear a resemblance to each other :lol: :lol:

When Rosie was a puppy, we proudly took her out to Pets@Home. A lady was fussing her saying how lovely she was, then she suddenly asked me "is she a puppy"? Obviously she was "confused" as Rosie was so grey around her mouth! :lol: :lol:

DON'T TRUST THE PUPPY FINDER!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2007, 14:52 

Bean too, she has grey in her tail and the odd one here and there.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2007, 14:55 

well I always think it's just a few BUT I sometimes strip them out and when I start I realise there are loads!

Also if you part the fur, you can see he is much lighter underneath

People often comment about his grey hair lol

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2007, 15:10 

donz wrote:
People often comment about his grey hair lol

Tbh I didn't really notice Scruff's grey hair, you can look at Gunner and not see them unless you look really closely, i have given up pulling odd ones out, losing battle.
Is it a genetic throwback from a silver Poodle in the line :?:

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2007, 16:10 

Hi there,

My boy Scrumpy started life as a chocolate pup and has gradually lightened to a cafe-au-lait or silver beige colour. Maybe your pup is going to end up like him? Check out Scrumpy's photos on the link below.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/scarlet-scrumpy/

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2007, 16:40 

Hi there, just to add to the chorus of 'me too!' - Vince (Rosie's brother) also has grey hair, and it is becoming more and more obvious, started around his eyes, a few on his back, now he has a big patch on his tail. He seems to be getting a new coat which is thicker, and more auburn. not sure how he'll turn out :shock: I've just bathed him, my lovely all-white bathroom looks like there has been an all-day mud wrestling match going on in it (well, that just sums it up I suppose, given that Vincey has decided he doesn't like standing in the bath and I kept having to strong arm him back in :evil: )

Post subject: Grey hairs
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2007, 17:13 

:D :D HI THERE :D :D

My black F1 Ricco has sprouted silver/grey hairs around his ears and a wee sprinkling around his collar. I think it's going to make his kinda "distinguished" I'll try to get some piccies for you all.

T.T.F.N.
ANDREA

Post subject:
PostPosted: 11 Mar 2007, 17:49 

Loi, your dood isn't going grey as a human would, ie: old age, stress etc., it is a genetic thing that you can do absolutely nothing about I'm afraid. I'm sure he doesn't look ancient, just refined :lol:

One of my black doods started to go silver around the muzzle at the grand old age of about 12 weeks, and also has silver in his legs. He is absolutely stunning IMO. His brother, on the other hand, is totally jet black