including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 18:48

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Harley has had a stroke
PostPosted: 09 Aug 2018, 14:29 

Sarah and Harley
Well done Harley, glad to hear you are enjoying yourself again. It is so hard to imagine what he must be thinking or feeling when his dear legs give way, but his spirit remains uncompromised.
We are thinking of you
Holly and Kathie xx

PostPosted: 09 Aug 2018, 22:27 

Sarahdol75 wrote:
Thought I would give an update on Harley

He is doing really well, still got a limp when he walks and he is still knuckling the front paw.

He is running round the field again with all his friends, every now and again he does a roly poly, as he has lost his legs, but he knows how much he can do.

If we are out on a walk and he is tired he just sits down or lies down for a few minutes, gets his energy back then goes running off again.

Thanks for sharing, lovely to read he is out enjoying himself again. Made me smile you wrote “ but he knows how much he can do”. So agree with you,some times I think they know more than given credit for.
Mind you on other days am given to think our doods are completely bonkers!

PostPosted: 10 Aug 2018, 22:36 

Sspleased for yiu iut must have been a nightmare but thank goodness you woke up and all is going well. Good boy Harley. Brave determined boy

ImageImage

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2018, 16:32 

:D :D Really pleased to hear that Harley is doing so well and making a good recovery.
When my old boy had his stroke I never ever thought that he would recover but like Harley he made an amazing recovery...they are much tougher than we think :D :D
Give him a hug from me.

PostPosted: 09 Sep 2018, 12:31 

Harley is doing really well, you wouldnt know that he has had a stroke to look at him, and see him playing out and about.

The only thing that he is doing is still dragging his front paw, when he walks slowly, so he is catching his nails when walking, I am having to keep his foot bandaged inside and out, or put a sock on it just to protect his nails.

Vets are really pleased with him, said he is doing fabulous, for 10 weeks in, they said his foot will go back to normal, but its early days.

PostPosted: 12 Sep 2018, 18:49 

So happy to hear Harley has all but conquered his trauma, you must be so relieved, we wish him continued good health, you cannot keep a good doodle down.
Love Kathie and Holly xx

PostPosted: 28 Sep 2018, 14:54 

I've only just seen this, what a nightmare summer you've had. So glad he's on the mend now.

We had a German Shepherd when I was a child that had a stroke whilst she was in kennels whilst we were on holiday (needless to say she was never left in kennels ever again). I can't remember how old she was when she had it, but she recovered 100%.

ImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: 03 Oct 2018, 11:14 

Re having to bandage Harley's foot....there are some really useful boots available online.I have a pair of front boots that I purchased when Millie lost a nail (several years ago now) they laced up and were made of soft polyurethane material... can't remember who made them(very helpful :roll: )....they were excellent and actually stayed on.
I would think that as they were cut quite high that they might also offer Harley some support.?....worth having a look online .though....
How is is he doing now?

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2018, 17:39 

Harley has been having his hydrotherapy, and after a few words with the vet last week, as I wanted a referral to another hydrotherapy centre. The one at the vets is a small treadmill style one, and the one I wanted to use is a proper fullsize pool.

Vets have decided they wont refer me, as its not beneficial to Harley and his recovery. This small tank is not big enough the water only just get to his belly, they wont fill it up anymore as he can step out of it, if they did.

Vets have since been funny with me, and are saying Harley is in pain.

So now they are saying he isnt walking correctly on his good left back leg, he is hopping and taking a big stride. They think he has something seriously wrong with his good side now.

He runs around the grass and fields, playing with his friends, loves the beach, you wouldnt know he has had a stroke to see him playing other than when he stops and walks you can see he drags his front right paw.

They are saying he is in pain, no surely, if he was in pain, he wouldnt want to go on a walk, run, play, come in from a walk, find his ball, and run and play in the garden and come get me to play.

Surely, he would show some sort of pain.

I can move his legs, around in directions, he doesnt wince, make a noise or anything. Yes he may be a bit stiff after walks because he is still recovering from a stroke 4 months ago.

I have started him on glucosamine chondroitin for joint comfort and flexibility.

Vets are wanting him to have more xrays and all sorts of tests.

If we hadnt had any hydrotherapy, we wouldnt know if he has an issue until it shows, which we cant see anything wrong with him when out and about on land.

My question is, would you have tests done now, or wait.

Bearing in mind he is only 4 months into recovery of his stroke, and the vet did say he is over compensating on his good leg, so we are thinking once he is recovering better, he will start to balance out and he wont use his back leg as much.

PostPosted: 09 Oct 2018, 13:14 

Difficult to advise you as you would hope that vets know what they are talking about.
Working as I do with animals for the past 30years, I would agree with you that If Harley was in pain he would be showing it!...he wouldn't be doing all that you see him doing. ...having said that , My Ambrose was diagnosed with H D before he was a year old...he wasn't in pain as such but I noticed an altered gait and had him checked.....perhaps your vet has worries about Harley's hips due to the strain of weight bearing on his good leg, have they mentioned this at all?
If he were mine I would ask them what they are looking for, what do they suspect is wrong .....then make your decision based on what they tell you they think is wrong.
They should tell you exactly what tests / investigations they want to do and why.
P.S one of my dogs has ruptured his cruciate ligament , I am also giving him glaucosamine also Tumeric tablets to aid recovery...(Tumeric with black pepper available from Dorwest aids the body's natural anti-inflammatory process)

PostPosted: 13 Oct 2018, 17:06 

Harley is a very lucky boy to have such a caring owner. Reading through your posts he has done remarkably well - im sure you know him best, its very difficult when vets want to do lots of tests. All I can say is trust your instincts - you seem to have made all the right ones for him so far!