including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 16 Dec 2018, 18:42

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: I know it could have had a different outcome
PostPosted: 06 Oct 2018, 12:43 

Hi, hope everyone well and happy. Numbers seem to be dropping again, such a shame, plenty people peering in but nobody posting. We know great stories do not happen every day and that we are all busy but the forum really needs input to survive.
Anyway, thought I would let you know I am thrilled with the behaviour of Holly today, went for long walk with Holly to local Sainsbury’s it is a really local friendly store, not one of the biggest at all. I have left her many times in the foyer tied safely to a barrier, not to do a huge shop just grab a newspaper by the front door, most of the time I can keep an eye on her from the till. So tied her up, grabbed the paper and went to the self service till to pay, walked out behind several people so Holly could not see me, I knew she was there because she makes people smile all the time and the man stooped to touch her, it was then that I realised she was not where I left her, somehow the knot I had tied was not actually a knot ?? she had shuffled forward 3 or 4 feet. Still sitting but was watching every faced for my return, I was so delighted she had not left the building as the doors were open, it does have a busy car park with buses coming and going all the time or had not run into the shop to find me. She had waited patiently and done as I had told her “wait” oh I love her sooooo much and was so proud of her. Yes I know before you say, you should not leave her but we all have at times had to take a measured risk. One thing I will do in future, make really sure I do the knot correctly.
Take care all
Kathie and obedient Holly

Post subject: Re: I know it could have had a different outcome
PostPosted: 06 Oct 2018, 15:12 

WOW Holly what a good girl :) - now if that had been my scatty Jazz she would have been off like a shot!!! My local supermarket use to have a dog tie post where like you I could see out from the newspaper stand & tills so all was fine. When the store 'upgraded' the post disappeared so if I need my newspaper whilst walking Jazz I stand at the shop door and ask can someone get me a paper :lol: :lol: or if 1 of the assistants are outside having a break I ask can they hold her lead whilst I pop in.
So glad Holly listened to her mummy. Well done xx

PostPosted: 06 Oct 2018, 16:32 

Well done Holly.

The one time I left Harley, he bolted into the shop to follow me, never tried again. :lol: :lol: :lol:

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2018, 15:40 

As you say a calculated risk,I am to paranoid. One of mine would bark his head off sonic boom level or he would have everyone fussing over him not sure which order it would occur.

Main thing that really gets my goat when folks leave a dog outside is that they darn well put them next to the trolley collect area , one even tied lead right next to where trolleys are lined up , banged together. I am yet to see a dog unphased by being so close.

PostPosted: 07 Oct 2018, 17:52 

What a sensible girl! Luna would have probably charged into the shop looking for me, knocking everything over and grabbing the tastiest snack on the way. Well done Holly and well done you!

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2018, 13:01 

I know that many do leave their dogs outside of shops but it's something I have never done......mine would create mayhem the minute I disappeared from view but the main reason I don't do this is the risk of theft. :(
Dogs are being stolen from their own gardens and many are stolen as bait dogs for illegal dog fighting....it might be a small risk but a risk I am not prepared to take.
Just my own personal opinion but perhaps food for thought?
So pleased that Holly waited for her Mum....well done Holly :) :

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2018, 15:19 

Nice to hear from you all, even if I do feel slightly chastised. To leave Holly even for a few minutes is I know totally dodgy and probably will not do again, for one reason she would probably next time do exactly what you all mentioned,bark, leave, or help herself to the first tasty snack she could find. Anyway I was rattled by my inability to tie the lead correctly. Yes Pollydoodle I have seen dogs tied up next to the trolleys, the noise must terrify most dogs.
We are on holiday next week, so Holly will have a whole new world to sniff out and enjoy new walks.
Take care all
Xx

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2018, 16:11 

:o oh Kath I didn't mean to sound as if Iwas chastising you!.... it's just my personal opinion and I know that dogs are often left for a short time outside a shop and come to no harm, but these days it is a risk and one that people don't think about .
When I was younger it was common place to leave your dog tied up and even babies were left in their prams inside the shop door...but sadly it's different now isn't it.
Enjoy your holiday!...x Linny.

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2018, 17:23 

Enjoy your holdiday Kathie, lots of new smells Holly, have a fab time.