including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 17 Dec 2018, 11:04

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Humping
PostPosted: 17 Jul 2018, 15:47 

Humping!

I've had enough. Bertie is 6 and has been neutered for a very long time. He doesn't hump things or people but cannot resist a black labrador (all the better if hes male). or anything labrador size and shape. We can walk for 2 hrs and he will play or walk passed 9 dogs and hump the 10th. I have no warning which of the dogs he will go for. He is very none aggressive and doesn't read other dogs signals in the slightest, he is mortally wounded if a dog takes offence. To be fair most of the dogs he humps don't appear to mind its their owners who object.
He is so well known in the park now that people avoid us. He has doggie friends that he plays with happily. Worse still is when we walk with my daughter in laws collies he tag teams with one of them and I am worried that they will get injured by the dog they are picking on. If I am quick I can make him sit until a dog walks passed but this is not always the case and difficult when other dogs come running to approach him.
I got Bertie when he was 13 weeks old and since he was an adolescent this has been happening. I have tried distraction, putting him on the lead and marching him out of the park as a consequence, running the other way when he goes towards a dog, nothing seems to work. I have put up with it and tried just dragging him off and offering grovelling apologies to the other owner but I'm so fed up of it now. He was a pain on holiday, he loves the sea and swimming but I had to keep putting him on the lead as in his excitement he jumped on all the other dogs. On the whole his recall is excellent, when he is playing with other dogs he will recall straight away.
I'm embarrassed and feel like I don't want to take him out ever again. We have been to the park today and I have decided I don't like him anymore.

Post subject: Re: Humping
PostPosted: 18 Jul 2018, 14:13 

Hi Bertiesmum. I can really feel for you. I know how horrid it is when we are at our wits end and feel we just don't like our Doodle right now!! :evil: I don't have any useful advice but just wanted to say how compromised they can make us feel sometimes! Our Dude has the embarrassing habit of stealing other dogs balls and refusing to give them back. At the weekend we made the fatal error of forgetting to take his ball to the beach. The consequence was Dude the Ball Bandit! He seems to be able to outrun pretty much any breed if a ball is being thrown and he has no intention of letting them have it back. Like Bertie, Dude's recall is very good ( he's 5. He's been neutered since this April) so he would come back to me with the strangers balls and I had to deal with the fed up owners :roll: In the end he had to be on his lead which was tedious as he was dying to run around. Labradoodles can be very trying sometimes! But we always forgive them don't we? Anny

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2018, 21:08 

Hi Anny,

Thank you for your reply. Yup doodles are embarrassing and I'm so pleased that I am not alone in this. I have sort of forgiven him, although we have not been to the park today and his manners have been impeccable with the visitors we had over.

We often meet a golden retriever in the park called Monty and he is a ball stealer too. Bertie just looks at me like "mom please get my ball back" as if he is too polite to steal it back. I have taken to carrying 2 balls, Berties favourite more expensive chuckit and a tatty old tennis ball to swap with Monty.

Jan

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2018, 22:13 

Hi Bertiesmom, I know exactly what you're coping with :roll: My Archie was castrated at 1 year old and he used to hump Labradors all the time. His favourites were the chocolate coloured ones :!: A lot of Labrador owners said their dogs seemed a favourite for the unwanted attention and that maybe the breed had a particularly inviting smell?

Back when he was young I purchased a compressed air spray called 'Pet Corrector' which emits a loud short sharp hiss when pressed. I found that if I used this immediately he mounted a dog he jumped straight off again. After just a few weeks it had worked on him. (I only used it for this one behaviour problem).

He is now nearly 9 years old and has recently started doing it again (mid life crisis/hot weather) :?: except now any colour Lab will do :oops:

Some owners are not to pleased (quite rightly so) but my main worry was that he might try mounting an elderly dog with joint problems and possibly cause them pain or worse.

I decided to give the 'Pet Corrector' another try after all these years and after using it for the first time about a week ago he jumped off immediately and hasn't attempted it since. We have met a few Labs recently and I can tell he is thinking about it but then thinks better of it :lol:

I don't know if it would work for Bertie but it has to be worth a try. I am going to be carrying it with me for the foreseeable future just in case but fingers crossed.

Although it is more bulky to carry I purchased the big size 200ml this time around which was about £13 but much more cost effective.

Hope this is of some help. Good luck. Gotta love 'em :!:

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2018, 22:23 

Hi Sharon,

Thanks for your reply. Archie even looks like Bertie ( I read the upload pics information and I still havent mastered it).

What an excellent idea Im going to shop for a pet corrector straight away. Im really hoping this will work and I am beyond embarrassed lately . Bertie jumped on a huge puppy last week and I shouted so loudly the pup ran off and hid and wouldnt come back for his owner, its no way to be carrying on. It makes walks stressful as Im constantly scanning for approaching dogs.

Thanks for the advice

Jan

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2018, 23:02 

Hi all. Not a problem with my girl, ball stealing is her vice. I also go out with two balls, a nice one to give the owner, whilst Holly keeps the manky one she stole and when the game of chase the naughty dog for the stolen ball is finished she loses interest in it and drops it, so into the bin it goes and I still have a replacement for the next embarrassment. I have always said a doodle knows how to ruin a good walk in seconds.
Sharron, Archie was always such a gentleman with Holly, how is the move going?