including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 17 Dec 2018, 11:47

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Spleen Tumour
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2018, 19:14 

Hi there
Never expected to be joining this forum to inform you of the sudden death of our labradoodle , Merlin our boy was our lives, he was only 5 and a half and collapsed suddenly , within 2 hours he had passed. We are heartbroken , how can you be running around on the morning and playing fine and gone a few hours later. It makes no sense , it’s been 2 weeks now and I still cannot accept it. The post Mortem revealed a tumour on the spleen which ruptured . He was eating fine that morning, toilet etc as normal , walks and full of energy running around with our other dog, Meghan a border terrier .

He had a tiny fatty lump appear when he was 2, Albeit it grew a little bigger some months and months later we then asked the vet as we were concerned so agreed it should be removed,it never ever bothered him, it was under the skin not visible, upon removal we were shocked at the size of the incision and told they were not certain it was a fatty lump after all and it needs to be sent off for biopsy, it returned finally from the lab and we were informed it was a mast cell tumour but it had been successfully removed with clean lines.

This was 18 months ago, we checked his lymph nodes regularly and he had his routine check and booster in April, all was fine with him then .

We are just devasted, he was just such a wonderful wonderful Doodle, and he’s just irreplaceable , he had a fab life and holidayed with us in our touring van, which we bought for him, he spent a month in the highlands with us in May, and had the most amazing time.,

Sarah

Post subject: Re: Spleen Tumour
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2018, 23:06 

Sarah, such terribly sad news,so sorry to learn of it and even more difficult to come to terms with.I can bearly imagine what you are going through,totally heart wrenching.Reading your news, I read on about what a fantastic life Merlin was having, that it made me smile. Despite the hardship of his sudden loss, so many moments of laughter and joy to recall. My thoughts with you all.

PostPosted: 17 Aug 2018, 23:06 

Oh Sarah!...I am truly so,so sorry to read of your tragic loss of Merlin.
There are no words at a time like this but I'm sure that all of us here will understand your pain.
I too have had to say goodbye to two of my labradoodles .....he first one Bobby died aged 11years from a blood disorder but my second was my wonderful Huggy who died very young (not quite four) like Merlin he was struck down by cancer :cry:
After Huggy passed I did get another Dood... Jethro.....he helped ease the pain but at a year old he was diagnosed with a mast cell tumour at the bottom of his back
It was successfully removed and like you I was shocked by he size of the incision and the number of drains in the wound :? He is now five years old and so far has remained clear.
I loved all of my dogs and could never replace the ones that I have lost but by getting another it helped ease the pain and gave me something to get up for and care for.
I hope that in time you too will find room in your heart for another Dood ...perhaps a rescue?
You gave Merlin a wonderful life and what better memorial to him than to offer a kind loving home to a less fortunate dog.
In the meantime sending you a big hug ....we feel your pain.
Linny & the boys.

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2018, 09:09 

Oh my. Checked in today to ask a question and read your post and my heart bleeds for you. Most of us know what it’s like to lose one of our dogs but we all think we have years. I’m so so sorry for your loss. When you’re ready perhaps a new furry friend would love to find a new home with such a loving family. Many hugs to you

ImageImage

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2018, 21:46 

Thanks for your kind words, and it helps to know that there are other doodle owners out there who totally understand how we are feeling at the moment. If he had been much older or been unwell I could accept it.

The vet advised it was also rare in a young dog and most of the information on labradoodles doesn’t mention they are prone to tumours

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2018, 09:30 

So very sorry to read your post - having lost two precious companions this year I feel for you. It's especially hard when it is sudden and a young dog.

PostPosted: 24 Aug 2018, 12:51 

Oh my, I am so sorry for your loss, he is so young.

Truly heartbreaking, our Harley had a stroke 8 weeks ago, at the young age of 4, he is recovering, but that was hard leaving him not knowing whether he was going to pull through, so I can imagine what you are going through.

Take care xx

PostPosted: 25 Aug 2018, 15:31 

Dear Sarah no words can heal the pain you feel, as pet lovers we all know we will lose our loved companion but nothing prepares you, especially one so young. Losing a beloved pet is no different from losing a family member, it took me 3 years when we lost our Retriever after 15 years and felt I could never replace her but in time we found Holly who is the same age as Merlin and I found it all too raw when reading your sad post, especially as we had taken Holly this morning to the vet with a suspect lump on her back. We are to keep an eye on it and return to the vet in a couple of weeks.
We wish you some comfort in the weeks ahead and perhaps you can open your hearts to another companion one day. Do keep in touch if you need to talk.
Love from Kathie and Holly

PostPosted: 26 Aug 2018, 21:10 

Kathie , thank you I do hope all is ok with Holly and Sarah wishing Harley a full and speedy recovery , love to you all who have taken the time to respond to my post at this difficult time , it really does help me xx it's still all so raw and I wake up every morning expecting him to be there to greet us, but each day the tears are less as I remember the happy times we all shared . Thanks again xx

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2018, 10:54 

So sorry to hear about your loss.
Imageimage upload mod

PostPosted: 27 Aug 2018, 13:24 

Thank you Sarah, Harley is improving daily.

Kathiedoodle, hope the lump on Holly is nothing to worry about, fingers crossed. xxx

PostPosted: 28 Aug 2018, 13:11 

Hoping for a positive outcome for Holly Kathie,
Sending positive thoughts for her .
Do let us know the outcome.

Kobie & jazz....lovely poem....made me cry.

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2018, 17:45 

Hi Sarah. Sorry for the lateness of my post. So sorry to hear about Merlin, big hugs to you. One of stouts pals Milo has just crossed the bridge too, he had liver cancer. I am sure the two of them will be carrying on their doodly antics in doggy heaven.

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

PostPosted: 30 Aug 2018, 17:48 

Sorry, just read further on, hope all ok with Holly and Harley

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle