Help, health and hopefulness

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
louisdoodie

Help, health and hopefulness

Post by louisdoodie » 05 Oct 2019, 17:52

Hey everyone, I’m kind of a newbie here although I have posted before a few years ago when my F2 Labradoodle was a tiny one.

He is now 3 years and 6 months and it’s been a rough journey. Louis although being the Duracell pup when we chose him, quickly changed into a super anxious doodle that seems like he has the world on his shoulders daily. If a dog could be suicidal I swear it would be mine.

A few months ago he had a blood test, the vet was sure he had Addison’s disease due to his constant shakes, stress and gastroenteritis but after a day on fluids and a steroid shot he was like a new dog...2 weeks later another blood test showed negative and that his levels were back to normal = no treatment and a slow decline downhill again!

He has never been a huge eater and is underweight, maybe a handful of dry a day if that. I do give him some wet food on occasions too as he seems to eat that rather quickly (Lily’s kitchen) I’ve tried many types of kibble from fish for dogs, wainwright’s, James wellbeloved etc and at present he is on the higher fat Millie’s Wolfheart but again he is sluggish at eating! He weighs in around 14.5kg but he should be at least 17kgs if not more, his hip bones stick out and underneath all his curls his frame is small. He is a standard labradoodle.

At home any noise can set him off, toaster/someone outside/dryer etc. He will shake to an inch of his life, pant and drool then end up with diarreah for days. This shakes happen every other day at least. When he is out on walks he looks like a happy dog but when at home anything can trigger his anxiety panic.

I feel at a loss. I feel bad for him and it saddens me to see him like this. I would never, ever give him up but I have 2 young children and he tires and drains me daily. Advice would be great.

I’m contemplating switching to raw food, will this help. I’ve been reading up on

kobi&jazz

Re: Help, health and hopefulness

Post by kobi&jazz » 05 Oct 2019, 19:19

Hi Louisdoodle - Louis sounds a lovely doodle and I can only imagine how upset you get seeing him like this :( .
Re: food - would you consider feeding him wet food only? My doodle had colitis and didn't enjoy kibble but would eat Forthglade wet food. This is not a raw food but if you did want to go down the raw food route I have heard good things about Natural Instinct, google and see what you think. I find having a bag of cheap supermarket brand chicken and fish very handy to tempt the appetite. I usually microwave for 5 mins adding a few veg - broccoli, carrot etc, leave to cool and serve using the water. Also have you tried tinned sardines - you can use as a topper on his kibble.
Re his weight - was the vet concerned? Some doodles take on the more 'poodle' side so tend to be more slender.

I feel for you with his anxiety - my girl is quite highly strung and will bark at even a leaf falling in the garden. Have you heard about Thunder shirts? It maybe worth while googling and reading about them. I have a friend who found it great for her dog. Also there are desensitisation CD's you can purchase.

Good luck - don't feel bad, you are obviously a very caring person who loves her dog and just wants him to have a happy life.
Big hugs to you and Louis xx

louisdoodie

Post by louisdoodie » 05 Oct 2019, 19:30

Hey

Thank you for your reply. I have tried sardines on top of his kibble and tried it mixed in, he just picks the kibble out and scatters it around my floor :lol: The vet seems concerned about his weight as they want to check his blood again to check his levels but part of me wanders whether the lack of food he is eating daily is contributing to him being so lethargic.

Last night something scared him, he was shaking all night and I was up and down taking him outside with diarreah. All day today he has had runny pooh and sometimes clear with blood- possible gastroenteritis again from the stress. Episodes of shaking due to the toaster being switched on, it’s horrid. It’s a vicious circle and it’s like ground hog day for us all :( I will look into the thunder shirts now though, thank you 😊 x

kobi&jazz

Post by kobi&jazz » 05 Oct 2019, 23:18

Poor Louis & Poor you :(

Has your vet tested a sample of Louis stool ? Has the vet offered you any other indication what may be causing Louis to stress to the point of shaking? Could he have allergy to grain/rice? ( I found the only kibble Kobi could tolerate was Simpson's duck & potato -perhaps Louis wont eat the kibble as he sense's it will make him poorly???)

I think you are right about the lack of food contributing to his lethargy, I would be tempted just to give wet food at least you know he will eat that and then you know he has some solid food down him. Also a tablespoon of natural yogurt mixed with his wet food will help with probiotics, add honey too that helps and will do no harm. The Forthglade is really good, I know Morrisons & other supermarkets have now started selling it - no nasty bulking products and a variety of flavours.
Protexin Pro-Kolin Paste for Dogs is brilliant and always handy to have in - again I have found this helps a lot when mine get upset tummy \ diarrhoea.

Another good range of products we have used is Pet remedy - you can get it in a spray form and place on his bedding, spray on your hands and wipe over his chest and also a Pet remedy plug-in ( I found the pet remedy range better than Adaptil) - its all natural products. Below is extract from company:

Pet Remedy Products
The amazing Essential Plug In Diffuser from Pet Remedy works alongside the brain's natural messengers known as neuro-transmitters, which will tell the nerve receiving the message either to calm down or get "fired up". In times of anxiety or stress in our pets the nerves tend to get over stimulated, which will lead to many symptoms of stress. The Essential Calming Diffuser has blends of essential oils which work alongside the natural relaxation pathways to help calm the nerves of anxious and stressed pets. The Diffuser features include, starts to help immediately, helps calm pet without sedating, lasts up to 8 weeks, only 5 watts, so cheap to run, water based, PH neutral formulation so safe on skin and coat of pet and is developed and made in England.

I have just started using this again in time for bonfire night as my girl HATES fireworks!!!

If Louis will take tablets •Dorwest Scullcap & Valerian Tablets for Dogs is also recommended for anxious dogs.

I really wish I had more idea's as you must be so worried as well as tired. May be if you can get him eating he will start to relax. I appreciate it will be teeny time steps but you sound like a lovely mummy who will do whatever it takes. Sending healing vibes to you & Louis, everything crossed he turns a corner soon. Keep us posted. x

linny

Post by linny » 07 Oct 2019, 18:49

Hi , poor Louis you must be so worried for him😥
I was wondering whether your vet has tested Louis for Giardia?...
It's a common parasitic infections easily contracted from stagnant water ....and can manifest some of the symptoms you are describing..
It's not hard for a doodle to pick up when you consider the environment of their daily walk... especially if they like the water..
One of the girls that helps out at our sanctuary bought a labradoodle puppy and he was infected with Giardia.at 11 weeks....he was such a poor little thing .
If Louis is a standard I would expect him to be around the 20 kilo mark or if he has the poodle frame he might be slightly less around 19 kilos..