Clippers on puppy

General discussion on all labradoodle-related matters - anything not otherwise covered by specific forums on the site.
Wheats

Clippers on puppy

Post by Wheats » 16 May 2020, 20:41

Hi all need some advice please. I have an 8 month old labradoodle is it ok to use a clipper on her or are you supposed to wait until a certain age? She has a long wool coat which I brush weekly. Someone told me you are not supposed to clipper a puppy until the adult coat is through?!
Jonathan

AnnaB

Re: Clippers on puppy

Post by AnnaB » 22 May 2020, 10:28

Sorry not heard that about clipping. But then I never clipped my girl, just regularly brushed her long coat with the odd trim with scissors if I found a matt. I do know that her 'double' coat was useful both in the winter when it was cold (we have a farm and she was out with me in all weathers) and also, believe it or not, in the summer when the added protection actually seemed to keep her skin cool in the heat, perhaps due to the fact that a clipped body is fully exposed to the sun's rays?? Hope someone else will post to give yo their opinion on the clipping dilemma.

Wheats

Post by Wheats » 27 May 2020, 09:15

Hello thanks for reply, her coat is really long now I'm brushing with a slicker twice a week which is keeping the matts at bay and scissor her face when needed. We all like the long hair ringlet look, will the hair keep growing or will it have a maximum length?
Jonathan

AnnaB

Post by AnnaB » 28 May 2020, 09:38

Hi Jonathan. My doodle M sadly crossed Rainbow Bridge 5 years ago so I cant show you any recent pictures of her and all my old ones are on my old laptop. Her coat grew to around 4" in places and I used a simple human hairbrush on it several times a week, then used a 'tool' for tackling the 'winter fluff' on my horse to remove M's undercoat every so often - well it worked for me! Oh and her coat did not just keep growing but it was long, soft and shaggy and she did moult all the time so I expect it simply kept itself in some sort of order. I do have one picture of M on this laptop and will try to post it here for you to see her coat. Forgive me if this doesn't work.

Wheats

Post by Wheats » 31 May 2020, 09:09

Ah she's lovely.... Thanks for the reply
Jonathan

linny

Post by linny » 02 Jun 2020, 00:18

I was told not to clip untill the puppy coat had shed and the adult coat came in..so my Ambrose had dreadlocks till he was almost a year old....hot weather made me clip him out and it made life a whole lot easier and he was a happier dog without his dreadlocks :)
Jethro has a mixed coat .. he's quite coarse along his back but a soft silky coat elsewhere....so he's scissor cut every eight weeks as his coat is not suitable for clippers.
Experience has taught me to do what's best for your dog ...with the heat we are experiencing at the moment I would say go ahead and clip your pup...he will thank you for it and I really don't think it matters too much😊.
Early clipping doesn't seem to effect the quality of the coat..

Wheats

Post by Wheats » 03 Jun 2020, 09:40

Coolio, thanks for sharing your experiences.
Jonathan