including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 17 Dec 2018, 10:29

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: crufts
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2006, 13:36 

What a beautiful labradoodle on crufts last night. On the programme they said that the kennel club is going to recognise the breed, is this going to be a good or bad thing.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2006, 16:07 

Hi, I was actually going to post this topic earlier, but my computer wouldn't let me log in :roll:

Yes, she was a lovely dog, I actually did expect to see a labradoodle on crufts this year. However what I was shocked to hear was that the kennel club are about to recognise them as a breed. Yes, this is a good thing, there has been debate regarding this in the past. I'm doubtful it will actually happen, lets hope I'm wrong! What do others think on the matter??

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2006, 16:55 

How do the kennel club go about recognising a breed? Labradoodles vary so much, I assumed that they all have to look alike and conform to what the kennel club say they have to be which would be sad.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2006, 18:31 

I didn't see the dog but my sister told me about it. I'm not really sure how they would go about developing a breed standard for labradoodles so that they could be recognised by the kennel club. Also would this possibly lead to more interbreeding if people were trying to conform to a standard? I imagine it would mean less people would back cross which i think still needs to be done in this country at the moment as the gene pool is just not wide enough yet. I dread to think what people would charge for puppies too as i'm sure some would use it as an excuse to increase the price!

Post subject:
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2006, 19:52 

We were disappointed to have missed this programme. We came back from a week's holiday late on Saturday night, and Clare's dad (who had been looking after our labradoodle Roly) told us about it. Does anybody know if it is going to be repeated, or does anybody have it recorded? We will pay postage and any costs, please send a private mail if you can help.
I'm sure the wide variations in the breed would be a problem when it comes to the details of KC registration, I can't see how that would work. One of the reasons we like labradoodles so much is that no 2 of them are the same. We have been to the labradoodle Day at Porlock for the last couple of years, and the spread of shapes, sizes and coats on display is wonderful!!

Clare & Richard Ward

Post subject:
PostPosted: 16 Mar 2006, 04:28 

I missed the labradoodle on Crufts :( shame cos I would have loved to have seen it.

Post subject:
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2006, 00:54 

I think the only way the Kennel Club will recognise the breed is if we keep it pure (no back crossing) we are not Australian Labradoodles but a breed in our own right the Aussie have added Wheaten Terriers Bearded Collies and god knows what else we hopefully have only been naughty by back crossing to the poodle( some silly people have even back crossed to the lab ohhhhh) The BVA now have Labradoodles listed on th Hip Score results so we are heading in the right direction please keep the breed TRUE if you are breeding we need to be at least 6th generation straight doodle (no back crossing) to be in with a shout we CAN DO IT

DONT TRUST THE PUPPY FINDER[color=#800040][/color][color=#800040][/color]

Post subject: generation breeding
PostPosted: 17 Mar 2006, 16:54 

:(