Wet dog problem

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
ebug99

Wet dog problem

Post by ebug99 » 23 Feb 2011, 13:13

Harvey adores swimming, and in this weather I'm only too happy for him to have a quick dip to clean off :roll:

The problem starts when he gets out of the water - Teddy (and now foster boy) bark madly at him as if he's the creature from the black lagoon.

This morning I had to intervene, as poor Harvey had the two of them barking at him from either end and he ended up, tail down backed against a tree :shock: :evil:

I don't understand why they do this - any one with any experience or ideas ??

Liz x
xxxXX Teddy & Harvey XXxxx

Mica1971

Re: Wet dog problem

Post by Mica1971 » 23 Feb 2011, 13:28

Haven't a clue Liz, you could ask Elaine P on DT or DP, she might be able to advise.

'An idle mind is the devil's workshop.'
And the devil's name is Alzheimer's!

ebug99

Post by ebug99 » 23 Feb 2011, 13:46

Mica1971 wrote:Haven't a clue Liz, you could ask Elaine P on DT or DP, she might be able to advise.
Thanks - have done just that !!

Liz x
xxxXX Teddy & Harvey XXxxx

Bid

Post by Bid » 23 Feb 2011, 14:25

Poppy does that too, but her barking is excitement and wanting to play. I think she would like to be in the water with them but she is a bit scared.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Clairejen

Post by Clairejen » 23 Feb 2011, 16:26

I've seen several dogs use the moment when a dog emerges from the water, particularly if they have to climb a bank, to pounce on them in a play attack. Always imagined it was just pressing the advantage.
Claire
slave of Leon & Sally
Image Image

daffodil

Post by daffodil » 26 Feb 2011, 13:30

I agree with Bid as Buster is extremly friendly towards other dogs, everyone is a potential friend he hasn't met. He doesn't seem to get it some dogs just don't or won't play and tries to cajole them into play by barking and doodle dashing. He is a proper mud magnet at the moment, even just taking him to the local park involves hosing him down with the mop bucket as he'll find the muddiest puddles and roll in them his new favourite game and then complains when he is hosed - 'Oh mumsie what are you doing to me?' doey eyed look...