Meeting dogs on walks

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
ArchieBoy

Meeting dogs on walks

Post by ArchieBoy » 07 Aug 2012, 18:46

Well, most of you will know all about Archie and his craziness. He is now officially knows as Archie-LoopyDoodle :D and boy, does he live up to it on his walks - which is what I would like some advice and help on PLEASE from all you experienced doodle owners. :)

Archie is now nine months and a big, strong boy. His walks are a pleasure and we both really, really enjoy them apart from one thing :? Archie is VERY sociable and loves all humans and dogs and greets them all with bouncy, bouncy, very excited tail and body wag, then just sits looking around when he has said Hello. :)

However, when we see another dog approaching he goes flat to the floor, as flat as he can, tail wagging, but he will not and cannot be moved. As soon as the dog is close enough, he sits, then when nose to nose, the whole body wag and very excited behaviour of meeting a new friend. :)

Thing is, he is NOT at all frightened or being submissive, which other owners think he is, it is just he so wants to meet the other dog that nothing will move him.

As soon as the meeting is over, he is super happy and walks off again, and is totally brilliant.

I just wondered if it is something he will grow out of, or if there is anything at all that can be done to prevent it. He is now 25kg and is the size of a retriever, so a big dog, and I want to try to rectify it before he is any bigger

Many thanks and I look forward to reading any tips/advice from you experienced doodle owners :D

Kirsty and Archie

ImageImage

Daise1970

Re: Meeting dogs on walks

Post by Daise1970 » 07 Aug 2012, 19:20

I wouldn't worry too much about Archie's approach to other dogs! He is obviously very sociable and not at all menacing. It's just his unique way of saying 'Hiya!'
My Maddie overwhelms every dog we see by bouncing all over them.. :roll:
Daise xx

hockborn

Post by hockborn » 07 Aug 2012, 19:57

Both of mine go racing up to people and before they get to them they skid to a halt and sit and wait to be petted. Sometimes they lie down and wait. Your dog seems to understand the boundries of personal space so that is good. The lying down could be the start of play action which both of mine do to eachother as a sort of stand off. Both will not move or give way but give eye contact. One of them will just move slightly and then they are off chasing eachother and having a great time. Might be interesting to see what he does if another dog understands this and runs past him in play/ catch me mode as this could be what he is waiting for!! My dogs are taught not to lick anyone and to sit when petted which makes them less frightening to people we meet as they are big dogs that lolop up to anyone!!!!

helenahigson

Post by helenahigson » 07 Aug 2012, 20:17

:D If I met Archie on walks with my two I would be very happy :lol: :D Sounds very good and well sociable to me without being at all aggressive. Long may it rain!! You have a lovely boy there. Enjoy. :D
ImageImageImageImage

stout

Post by stout » 07 Aug 2012, 20:18

Sounds like stout! I used to have a real battle with him, especially on his 'first thing in the morning' loo walk. He has nearly pulled me over several times in his eagerness to say hello. I also had a major back op a couple of years ago and until recently it was very sore first thing so any pulling jolt flipping hurt.

This is what I did, as soon as I saw the other dog, I got a very high value treat out (liver cake/cheese etc) and held it close to his nose and made him 'heel' past the other dog, then once we were past, lots of fuss and let him have the treat. Our agility teacher also recommended that we only let him say hello properly to one in three dogs, and a quick hello one in three dogs, then no hello for the remaining third. He has got a lot better, and can mostly walk past other dogs without laying flat etc. We only let him say hello on our terms and if he is being quiet and not pulling.

He has now decided that it is more fun to try to chase cats when he is out with mum as with his 32kilos he can pull the weedy human quite well, and he always spots them before I do!
Cheers,

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

ArchieBoy

Post by ArchieBoy » 07 Aug 2012, 20:30

Thank you all for your lovely comments

I did mention it to our trainer and she suggested we go for a training walk so she could see what he did. She held him and we saw lots of dogs. Brilliant, I thought, BUT Archie being Archie, he proved me to be the biggest liar, and sauntered past every dog perfectly :? much to the amusement of the trainer and my embarrassment :oops:

I have mentioned it to her since and she said the same as you Daise and Helena. She said for me not to get too worried or stressed as he will pick up on it and try to make him sit instead of the flat to the floor position and wait until the other dog had passed.

He does lie as if he is ready to do the play pounce and if the dog who approaches is friendly, he will do the play bounce as if to say "come on then, chase me, lets play". :lol:

As odd as it sounds, I'm not used to Archie being a doggy dog - if that makes sense. Harvey, my lovely old golden wasn't a doggy dog at all and would go out of his way to avoid other dogs. He was a people dog, so for Archie to be so full on with other dogs is brilliant as he is so sociable :D

Again, many thanks for your advice and I will attempt the introduction to one in three dogs :D

I'll let you know how it all goes :?

Kirsty and Archie

ImageImage

Rowan11

Post by Rowan11 » 07 Aug 2012, 20:49

hi ! Luna does exactly this ! :lol: i think its hillarious ! i worry a bit that they owner of the other dog will think she is going to pounce in an agressive way but like Archie as soon as the dog is close she boings up :lol:
i think its just a playful thing. ive seen lots of dogs do it. i wasnt worried about it but ill be watching your post :D
good luck :D
Dawn & Luna x

MandyG

Post by MandyG » 07 Aug 2012, 22:30

Phoebe does it too....always has, ever since a puppy. It's like she's sussing out the new dog, checking to see if it's safe or if it wants to play. Sometimes, if it's a very big male she'll roll onto her back (displaying her wares) in submission. She usually then goes into the play bow and they're off!

I think it's just being polite and showing she's not aggressive. I prefer it to if she just charged up to a strange dog. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

Love and licks, Phoebe and Mandy