A completely different dog atm

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
AustinsMumma

A completely different dog atm

Post by AustinsMumma » 22 Apr 2014, 17:41

Ever since the 'running away on the beach' incident on Saturday, (which resulted in him being attacked and getting a nice tooth hole in his neck) Austin's recall is going downhill :cry:
Now we are fully settled in back home I took him to the park for his usual walk (which he does EVERY day and he comes back to me EVERY day)... except today
:?

He spotted a dog he liked the look of on the way back, and he sniffed it.. they walked on and we walked on
Then a ways ahead, Auz turned around and ran back to the said dog which was walking in the opposite direction :|
Despite me joyously shouting 'comecomecome' and waving my hot dogs :shock:
Then... when he eventually came back (after the owner of the other dog stopped walking) he spotted another dog and went wandering off with that one. It was like he went completely deaf!! :shock: I swear! Nothing I shouted, sang, dance, waved or ANYTHING made him acknowledge my existence one bit!
So then, I had to run. Again. He stopped when the other dog stopped, he walked off with it when they did... in the end I did catchh up and grabbed him and came straight home. :cry: I feel so sad. He didn't even notice me shouting in his face when I had hold of him!!!

I don't want to be one of those people for whom walks are a chore and always on lead. At the moment I don't trust Auz and that's not nice. I can't risk having him off lead again atm because I feel it's far too dangerous :? He has walked beside me without restraint since 11 weeks old!! And it feels horrid to know this is slipping away :cry: :cry:
It's like something in his brain has flipped and he thinks he can just run and run and run and.... And it's sad thinking he doesn't care about me being there. Oh boo hop lol

At the minute I am thinking... long lead, back to basics, classes, tempting treats, maybe give the whistle a go again...
I just feel a bit lost, and worried that I'm going to lose the carefree relaxed walks?
But then I am in slightly a sad angry hot mood. It's being an up and down day. I've hurt my back (made worse by bathing and brushing Auz for ages and then him pulling me to the vets) :roll: And that's another thing. The lead pulling. :roll: (God I'm moaning today)!! lol... He's getting worse at that too (timing eh)!?? I was thinking of a harness etc, but OH says doing that is admitting defeat and he needs to walk better with just his normal lead and collar etc. We have been working on it for ages and some days are better than others, but he just doesn't seem to get that if he pulls he a) chokes himself, b) makes me stop walking/ or I walk in the opposite direction, c) gets him there slower :|

Well, thanks for listening to me moan :lol: It's been a rubbish day
meh. J xx
Austin Doodle came to town riding on a pony......
Austin's profession?... Eating Mummy's STEAK
ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

Chelsea2

Re: A completely different dog atm

Post by Chelsea2 » 22 Apr 2014, 19:36

If it was there in the 1st place it will come back so don't worry too much, he's at 'that age'. I've been there with all of mine and it is a very trying time. Long line, lots of treats and fuss and no off lead for a while unless you are in a place where you can easily enforce recall if he doesn't come back. Do you use a whistle? I found with mine that the whistle was much more effective than my voice, probably because they are so used to me wittering on. The whistle only means one thing to them 'get back asap for a treat' and it isn't so easily ignored, even at a distance. Re the pulling - have you tried a head collar? Mine don't pull as it was something I really worked at after having 3 pullers previously and the knackered shoulder to show for it but I have used head collars in the past to help train big, strong dogs and they do seem to work.

pixie's mum

Post by pixie's mum » 22 Apr 2014, 21:19

Austin is going through the doggie version of the terrible twos
It will pass ( and probably come back again about 15 months) but it is a stage and it will get better but you will have to revisit basics for a few weeks to reinforce his manners.
Now the weather is turning better and lighter nights try some hide and seek games in the house and garden and get him to work his brain as well as nose and reward with something tasty like primula cheese from the tube ( just a little squirt). This close style training reminds him how lovely you are and what fun you can be.
Al my pups have gone ought his stage and come out the other end ok
Don't worry
ImageImage
ImageImage

Benben

Post by Benben » 22 Apr 2014, 21:23

Re the harness issue: Ursa has always been horrible on her collar, pulling and jumping like no-one's business. it was the thing I was convinced was going to fail our Bronze test.

For me, getting the non-pull harness from Amazon was a bit of a miracle, and it allowed me (a) to enjoy town walks (where I couldn't let her off the lead) and (b) reinforce the close walking . The end result is that she is hugely improved on her collar now too - a result which the behaviourist predicted, by the way. She said that the harness allowed us to walk together and enjoy the experience rather than it being a constant battle. So I think your OH may be wrong on this one...!
Ursa: born 28.10.13

ImageImage

EstelleB

Post by EstelleB » 22 Apr 2014, 21:27

You can use a harness and still train heel. We still always insist on it with Tia, we do heel training and the change-direction thing every day, but she is too strong for me to cope without the harness so it saves my shoulders whilst she is still a mad puppy and learning!

Having tried a few, the Premier Easy Walk seems to work best for us, they don't quite fit as neatly as the guide suggests, but they are effective. Good luck with it :)
ImageImage

Bid

Post by Bid » 22 Apr 2014, 21:34

I think that if walks are no fun and are leading you to feeling fed up and frustrated, neither you nore Austin are going to be in the right frame of mind for training. Getting a head collar so you can walk him happily would help - a gencon is good, or there are others. It doesn't mean you can't still train him to walk well - it just means you can do some walks with the headcollar, get to places you want to get to, and make sure Austin gets a good run. Then later on you can do say his second walk as a training walk where you do all the stopping and stuff, but as he has had a good walk beforehand he will be in a better frame of mind for training, and as it is a training walk you will be prepared for all the stopping etc too.
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

thepadster

Post by thepadster » 23 Apr 2014, 10:40

This was the age when Paddy suddenly got it. The recall improved and he seemed to connect with me and that has continued. He likes to know where I am when walking now. We went to Wales this weekend and I now forget to call him when I decide to go in a differentn direction cos I know he'll keep an on me so much so he gave up on a rabbit and came to me instead.

Auz could be in what is called the extinguishing phase (I think that's what it's called) i.e. the flame burns brighter before it goes out. Or in dog parlance I'm going to play merry hell until I realise it's better if I behave. Victoria Stilwell says if this is the case don't give up because you're nearly there so go back to the basics and get a harness of some sort, we found the Mekuti was great but everyone has their favourites and I'm sure your commitment, patience and love will pay off.

Good luck and keep us posted xx
ImageImage

AustinsMumma

Post by AustinsMumma » 23 Apr 2014, 17:40

Thanks v much everyone, as always wonderful people X

Well, what a difference 24 hours can make! :o
For his walk this afternoon I tried a new harness that I picked up today. I'd read up on them and varying verdicts... mainly don't get one as huskys have them and they pull, but I thought 'well if it doesn't work I will just get a refund'!

And...... it's like magic. From the minute we stepped out of the door, not even a sniff of trying to pull... it was like a dream.. like walking a Yorkie :lol: :lol: :lol:

Took him off lead as soon as inside the park gates... he ran off, turned around, stopped and 'down' as usual routine (he's always done this, like a sheepdog!, it's quite cool to watch)!!... waited for ball... and off for his run. Waited for me on way round.. greeted dogs.. watched me... good walk! Recall was good, I praised a lot, took hot dog pieces (although squeaky ball seems to be more of a 'prize' than any food stuffs).

I also bought a flexi lead as well for using on my next holiday (to avoid any running away incidents again) or to use in situations when I'm not 100%

So, going forward, I plan to work hard to maintain and drum in recall, and have on/off sessions with the harness
Feeling more positive after these little steps, J & Auz xx :o

Teamcov

Post by Teamcov » 23 Apr 2014, 18:29

Hello! I got a gencon for Hercules and it's transformed our walks. I can't leave him with it for more that 30 secs though as he'll chew through it because it is fabric...but it is a revelation! A much more pleasant walk for both of us!

Glad he's working well with the harness too!

Willow Dood

Post by Willow Dood » 23 Apr 2014, 19:24

Sorry you have been having problems. We find that Willow (now 19 months) becomes a little devil when we come back from a holiday. We went to west Wales with her in February and she had a great time with lots of long walks, new scents and smells etc. When we returned home and resumed our normal routine, she played up something rotten. It was so embarrassing. She also seemed to be encouraging other dogs we met to play up too. I wanted the ground to swallow me up. The following day she was her normal, reasonably good, self again. Perhaps the same happened with Auz. It could be post holiday blues!
Sue and Willow xx

ImageImage

Oscar2011

Post by Oscar2011 » 23 Apr 2014, 20:16

Austin's fur is very curly at the moment, I love it. :) :) :)

Oscar & hoomans.

Mens sana in corpore sano.

Crazy flying dog,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n5aKvfznuQ

Life of a Labradoodle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWFkOb39sv4

AustinsMumma

Post by AustinsMumma » 23 Apr 2014, 20:32

Yes, thanks, I found the walk so much more relaxed
Just hope he doesn't get used to it and try it on, squirming to get out of it :lol: :?
I was thinking it could be something to do with the holiday too.

Haha yup his fur goes v curly as it grows. He was cut about 2 1/2 weeks ago so it's grown quite a bit. He goes like a sheep!! :mrgreen:

J x

MrsAdmin

Post by MrsAdmin » 24 Apr 2014, 00:51

Glad you found something that works for Austin.

Using a head collar when required is not giving in but being sensible. Ours mostly walk on just collar and lad, then off lead in safe areas for a good run and ball chuck, but, if I'm walking them in crowded streets I use their head collars.

The best one I have found for dogs, especially rescue ones not used to being walked, is the SWAG head collar, which is soft on the nose and has 2 rings so the tug is spread apart and more effective. You order it from South West Agility Group online and it costs about £11 and you have a variety of sizes.

We too have extending leads, which only come out for when we are going on holiday or away in an area we don't know, so they can still get some freedom whilst we suss out there are no cliffs, livestock, roads etc. Far better safe than sorry.
ImageImageImage
ImageImage

AustinsMumma

Post by AustinsMumma » 24 Apr 2014, 10:13

MrsAdmin wrote: We too have extending leads, which only come out for when we are going on holiday or away in an area we don't know, so they can still get some freedom whilst we suss out there are no cliffs, livestock, roads etc. Far better safe than sorry.
Yes, thank you :o I am so so glad I got the extending lead. I just took it for granted that he would behave like he does in the home park :? Didn't quite work out like that :roll:

My old dog used to wear a halti head collar every day as he was over 40kilos (weimaraner) and he was fine with it. A lot of people did tend to think he was aggressive though as he looked like he was muzzled :?

I thought Auz would fight the harness going on, but I think as he is used to having jackets put on him when it rains etc for walks, putting something else around his body as opposed to putting something on his face/head helped a lot. Just another one of those things Mum?! :mrgreen:

Benben

Post by Benben » 24 Apr 2014, 11:16

Brilliant! That's the same brand as I got from Amazon for Ursa, and I had the same experience - like magic, just as you say. She can't reach the harness itself to chew, but does chew the tapes which come through the locking mechanism. She's never managed to wriggle out of it, as long as the button's pushed in. The collar/neck part of it is also quite snug so needs to be manipulated to get it over her head anyway.
Ursa: born 28.10.13

ImageImage