Training a deaf dog not to bark

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
michelle81

Training a deaf dog not to bark

Post by michelle81 » 08 Aug 2014, 12:54

Okay, so Monty was on his best behaviour for the first week he was here but now he's settled in, there's a few issues that have come up. First of all, he's constantly trying to lift the toilet seats to drink out of the toilet - thankfully, the seats are too heavy for him and we always keep them down. Secondly, he's still really pulling on his leash - I've ordered a Perfect Fit harness so hopefully, that'll help. Thirdly, and this is the one I need some help with: he's started barking when outdoors.

Now, we've been experimenting with what he can hear - voices and whistles don't provoke a response but he does hear my other dogs barking and he hears loud claps. Basically, any loud, sharp sound seems to work. My other dogs bark and set him off then he will bark for a few minutes, continuing after my other dogs have stopped.

As he's deaf (and a bit of a giant), his barks are very loud. We had a half naked man hanging out his window last night (at 7.30pm), yelling at us to shut the dog up. While I would've told him to p*** off if I'd been there (he has screaming children in his back garden seemingly 24 hours a day), my husband is worried about what the neighbours think :roll:.

This morning, Monty was out with Indie and Zara and he noticed his reflection in my greenhouse. He started barking at his reflection and then walked into it. We've notice that he will occasionally bark at his reflection in the TV and in the window. When we take him for a walk, he spends the first few minutes outside the house barking.

All this has started in the last few days. He's getting enough exercise (two long walks a day and 30 minutes with the ball launcher in the park). When he's barking, his posture isn't fearful, it's confident.

Monty is great in all other respects. He's treat motivated, very affectionate and has quickly become one of the family.

Any ideas?

Curious George

Re: Training a deaf dog not to bark

Post by Curious George » 08 Aug 2014, 15:25

Hi, I have no experience at all with deaf dogs or lots of barking. But just to say George also barks at his reflection in windows etc, and growls. So your not alone there! Maybe try using a spray bottle or something?
Rhea & George

ImageImage

michelle81

Post by michelle81 » 08 Aug 2014, 16:04

The problem in the garden is that Monty stops barking when he sees us. It's when he's outside alone or with Indie and Zara that he barks. I usually leave the back door open all day so the three of them can go in and out as they please (my older dog can no longer "hold it" for longer than a couple of hours so this works well for her and means that we can get on with what we are doing without having to jump and run to the door before she starts peeing!).

As I say, it's something that's just recently started but nothing has changed in our household since we brought him home, just under two weeks ago.

I'll ready a spray bottle and see if this works when he's walking on his leash and barking because it's really difficult to get his attention sometimes when he's excited.

Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom » 08 Aug 2014, 18:02

First of all you must teach him to speak on command this is a easy hand signal with the same sign you would use on someone that talks to much by making the hand open and shut like a mouth talking. Once he gets that you want him to speak for a treat or say hi or please then you can teach him not to speak by putting your finger to your mouth to say shhh. Once he has learned this it should not only slow down his barking but if he does bark you can give him the shhh sign to make him stop. I had a problem with my labradoodle and may have had to rehome her if I didn't find a way to keep her quiet and this is what I did she still barks but now I give her the shhh sign and she stops. They are very smart and learn quick I taught Molly within 3 or 4 1/2 hour training session and consistently using the 2 signs to make her bark on command and then stop on command. And now I get to keep my wonderful Molly who I love so so much.

Doodle Dee

Post by Doodle Dee » 08 Aug 2014, 18:04

Can you clap to stop him barking

Lulu is a hearing dog but she will soon come to attention when I clap
Lulu & Dx

ImageImage

Mollysmom

Post by Mollysmom » 08 Aug 2014, 18:54

There are lots of videos on utube that address this issue I chose. The stop your dog from barking - the treat pouçh.com take a look you may find one that works for you I used this one because it has hand signals and I teach all my dogs with both voice and hand. I had a border collie that went deaf at 8 years old he lived till he was 16 so hand signals were a must. Now I teach hand signals just in case this happens again to my other dogs.

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 08 Aug 2014, 21:59

Hi michelle,
I thought it may take a day or so until Monty's character emerged! :D Rescues find everything a little strange at first... I'm no help with the barking, except that when ours gets going (postman going by, etc.) I make him 'Sit' then say, 'Quiet' and if he does both, 'Good boy!'. I think the learn to Speak and then Quiet is a good idea, but I've never cracked it with dear little Ianters... :roll: I live in hope... But I wouldn't use a spray, it seems more of a negative enforcement and a Deaf dog may not be happy to be sprayed in the face . You really need to build trust with him and don't want him to see you as being a source of bad things happening to him.
Anne & Ianto x

Helen & Rigby

Post by Helen & Rigby » 09 Aug 2014, 12:33

Do you think he might do it to reassure himself? Maybe it will settle down?
ImageImage

michelle81

Post by michelle81 » 09 Aug 2014, 17:32

It's strange. He only does it when he's just outside, as if he's announcing that he's there.

He hasn't been too bad today. Our neighbours are building stuff in their back garden and the dogs can see them through the fence so there's been a bit of barking but we've been going out and making the "shh" sign to Monty.

He's getting more and more confident in our house. Indie tried to take his food yesterday and Monty just looked at him (no "smiling", just a look of "Ha!") and Indie backed off. Last week, Monty would've walked away and let him have it. It's nice to see him asserting himself as my wee dog tends to push his luck.

I've been out taking photos of Monty in the back garden. Here's my favourite from today:

Bid

Post by Bid » 09 Aug 2014, 19:20

I agree with Anne that spray bottles or rattle cans are not really a good idea - they tend to cause more problems than they fix.

One thing I believe is used with hearing dogs which could also work for Monty is a toy - does he like balls? It is a lot harder to bark when you have a ball in your mouth. You would need to be able to grab his attention first - have you thought of using a vibrating collar? (These are not the electric shock collars, and are not the anti-bark collars) Vibrating collars are specifically designed for deaf dogs and help you get their attention when they are out of reach - if you've looked at the deaf dog training sites I expect you will have seen them mentioned - I don't know how costly they are though :|

The Dogs Trust recommends this book - maybe it has some suggestions too ... http://www.amazon.co.uk/Hear-Guide-Trai ... arry+eaton
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron

Curious George

Post by Curious George » 12 Aug 2014, 13:34

Never heard of a vibrating collar before, sounds like a great idea! We have never used a spray bottle as I don't think I would like to be sprayed in the face with water randomly, but we have a friend who has and it stopped their dog barking at the door.

Distraction and then praise for the right behaviour is the way we usually go. Their are A LOT of different opinions on training dogs though, as I have found out in getting a puppy!
Rhea & George

ImageImage

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 12 Aug 2014, 21:54

Curious George wrote:Their are A LOT of different opinions on training dogs though, as I have found out in getting a puppy!
Tell me about it, Rhea!! :roll: :roll: :roll:
Anne & Ianto x

michelle81

Post by michelle81 » 13 Aug 2014, 17:27

I've trained several dogs before but each dog has his or her own personality and motivation. My oldest dog is very motivated by food so her training was pretty straight forward, my middle dog is more motivated by play which means some things were a bit of a challenge (recall was/is dependent on whether he's finished in the park and not when I want to go) and Monty is food motivated sometimes but outside, he gets so excited that treats are ignored. Monty and Indie both love balls so we've been giving them one to carry in their mouths to the park (and this stops Monty barking in the early morning).

I ordered a Perfect Fit harness for him but the front part was too loose so I sent it back last week. I hope the replacement part arrives soon as he's very difficult to walk when he's in his excited state.

His barking when he's out in the garden has died down a bit.

I spoke to a wonderful lady who fosters dogs and she gave me some advice about training. I mentioned the vibrating collar and she said that it didn't work with the deaf dog she was training, although it drove the hearing dogs mad. Monty's actually very good at "checking in". He likes to make sure we are where he thinks we are (this is funny at night because when my husband goes into the bathroom to brush his teeth, Monty goes downstairs and checks in all the rooms for him).

He's really unfit. I don't think his previous family walked him (based on his leash training and the excitement at being out). I'm hoping that when he realises that the walks are going to be every day, twice a day, he'll stop getting so worked up by being on the leash.

Also, just as the barking has started to be less of a problem, Monty's started digging in my vegetable patch! See these doodles :D

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 13 Aug 2014, 18:09

michelle81 wrote:Monty's started digging in my vegetable patch! See these doodles
Ah, yes, um - did we not mention the 'Landscaping gene'....? :roll:
Anne & ianto x

The Turners

Post by The Turners » 17 Aug 2014, 16:24

Hi :D , Wurly is also deaf (since birth) When we had her tested they found she has no hearing in one ear & a tiny amount in the other.
Deaf dogs do like to bark, they can feel the vibration of their own bark and it's nice. That's what we've found with Wurly, she seems to find some comfort in it. :D
However that being said we did try a vibration collar to get her attention when she was younger (she's nearly 4 now) and it did work, but they are expensive and I'm not sure we'd do the same again. She a great sense of smell & is food orientated so if yours is the same then strong smelling treats should work to grab his attention. :wink:
We also covered up anything she could see herself in. We moved our mirror & now have to stand on a chair to use the floor length one, just so Wurly can't see herself in it :roll: . The things we do for our doods. Hope this helped.

Nicky x
Nicky Chris & Wurly
Image Image