Training a deaf dog not to bark

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
Ianto!

Re: Training a deaf dog not to bark

Post by Ianto! » 17 Aug 2014, 16:36

Hi Nicky,
Good to see you here again! Hope everything has been going well for you... Sorry Michelle, slightly off topic, but there's a new FB page for E Mids doodle meets (East Midlands Doodle Meet group :wink: ) if you're interested...
Anne & Ianto x

michelle81

Post by michelle81 » 19 Aug 2014, 19:10

Thanks, Nicky.

Today's walk was a nightmare. We had to turn around and come home.

First, our neighbours were out so he saw them and got excited then when they left, he saw their cats in the window and became even more excited. He barked non-stop until we gave him a ball. But he didn't like the ball as much as his usual tennis balls so kept dropping it (on the road and then scrambling to get it back). He pulled (despite the Perfect Fit harness and double headed leash) until we got to the top of our road, where a man was out digging his garden. More barking. Then there was a dog at the other side of the road. Barking, straining and generally looking vicious. Monty also got Indie started at this point so the two of them were straining at their leashes. Then a woman in a 4x4 pulled up and started giving us dirty looks because we were standing on the street in front of her house waiting for the dogs to calm down.

Trying to get Monty's attention when he's like that is really hard. He goes into his own world. In the end, I turned around and walked home. He was great walking back: quiet and no pulling.

I think it's the park that's the problem. When we go out, he thinks we are going to the park (which we live a few minutes walk away from). He pulls all the way over there but if we walk him in the opposite direction, he's not as bad. I'm just worried that the park and the playing with the ball launcher is just too much stimulation for him and I don't want to reward his bad behaviour on the leash.

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 19 Aug 2014, 20:29

Oh Michelle,
Ever heard the phrase, "Mother told me there would be days like these..."? Monty probably isn't going to be an easy dog... but as you already know, he's going to be totally worth it. You have my sympathies, I know the feeling of one step forward, two steps back. Eventually it will click with him. It's early days... Can you walk him seperately to your other dogs, perhaps? So you can give him your entire attention (and so your well-behaved dogs don't pick up bad habits)?

4x4 woman can get lost! You know that what you are doing is the best for your dog - so she can't get on her drive... :cry: :cry: :cry: Give her a cheerful grin and let her deal with it! :lol:

Don't lose heart. If he drags you to the park, I'd suggest you go another walk until he learns that pulling doesn't get him where he wants to go. Be comforted that it isn't just his Deafness that is causing these problems... my first rescue was a total nightmare; barking, growling at other dogs, pulling my arm out of it's socket... they do get better with love and time (and discipline!) Chin up! Things can only get better... :wink:

Anne & Ianto x

michelle81

Post by michelle81 » 20 Aug 2014, 12:55

You'll probably laugh but the experience of having a large dog is a bit strange. Monty is around three times the size of Zara. The Lhasas walk under him all the time and sometimes I'm sure Zara thinks he's furniture. When he wants to cuddle, he crushes us a little.

When we are walking or in the park, we get a different reaction from some people as well. They seem to see the Lhasas as harmless and Monty as dangerous, just based on size. It's funny, though, because I know some fairly vicious Lhasas (they are a difficult breed to train and some people just don't bother) who get away with anti-social behaviour just because they are small and fluffy.

It's only been three weeks but we're being very consistent with his training. We're going to stop walking him to the nearby park - instead we'll drive to another park, tire him out and then do some leash training. He always walks so well on the way home from the park, it's getting there that's the problem and I feel like we're rewarding him for his bad behaviour on the leash by taking him there. Maybe if we dissociate "walk" from "park", he'll calm down a bit.

He's also going through tennis balls at an alarming rate. I've tried the Kong ones, proper tennis balls, cheap ones, non-tennis (hard) ones and he manages to chew through them all in minutes. Well, except the hard ones, he doesn't like those because he can't chew them properly. He's also managed to chew the leg off Indie's favourite toy (oops) and rip the squeaker out of the larger version of Indie's toy that we bought for him.

All the toys I buy are tough toys but none of them seem to be Monty proof! I might have to cave in and get him some rawhide to chew on.

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 20 Aug 2014, 23:23

Ianto's donkeydoodle friend, Lottie, has mangled his Kong squeaky tennis ball! :shock: She gets through them at the rate of knots... Her family buy ex-Wimbledon tennis balls off the internet as it's far cheaper, and they're pretty good quality! :D

I wonder if Monty would be able to hear squeakies? I got Ianto a 'football' (American type) from Pets at Home today - they're by Nerf and it's kept him occupied for ages - it's got a fairly high-pitched squeak, especially when he gives it a good chomp... ( :? )

Do you think a whistle would help with his Recall? Acme do ones with different pitches - if you look on their website, they give you a demo of the noise it makes. I was wonering if Monty would be able to hear one of them? (It certainly made my ears ring when the OH tried ours out in the kitchen... :shock: )

Poor Indie!! It's hard having a big brother (I know that!)
Anne & Ianto xx

michelle81

Post by michelle81 » 20 Aug 2014, 23:55

We've tested him with all sorts of whistles (and played high to low frequency sounds right next to him) but he doesn't hear any of them, nor the squeakers in the toys. He's very clever, though, and will come and see what's up if I turn the light off and on (this only works at night, though!). Usually he'll be somewhere near Indie and will follow him if I call for them.

I'm wondering if it's worth getting him BAER tested. I don't know if that would provide us with more information on the range of sounds he can hear or if it's just a case of "Yup, he's profoundly deaf".

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 21 Aug 2014, 00:14

Well, at least you'd know...

My friend's husband was told that he'd probably be able to hear the Space Shuttle taking off... Though she surprised me by asking if they were using a jack-hammer in the hospital we were in. They were - in the basement - and she could feel the vibration... :D

Anne & Ianto x

The Turners

Post by The Turners » 21 Aug 2014, 14:42

Hi Michelle, we had Wurly BAER tested, just to find out exactly what she could hear, it is worth it.
Your doing really well :mrgreen: , it's a struggle with a deaf dog, and sometimes you feel like pulling your hair out. :(
Wurly is by no means a perfect dog 8) , many of the folks on here know how naughty she is.
Having said that we concentrated on the things that were important to us, her recall, and social interaction with other dogs & people, we put all our energy in to these, and she is extremely good at these things :D .
Her lead walking is not great as she will not look at me for her hand signals :roll:
She steals anything & everything in & outside of the house.
But you have to pick your battles.
Keep at it you will get there. :D

Hi Anne, It will be while before I get another meet, but I have missed you guys, big hugs to lanto :D

Nicky x
Nicky Chris & Wurly
Image Image

michelle81

Post by michelle81 » 21 Aug 2014, 17:10

Thanks, Nicky.

My other dogs are due their boosters soon so when I'm at my vet, I'll ask about BAER. I think we have a pretty good idea about what he can hear, just from watching how he responds to noises around the house but it would be great to get something we could use to get his attention when out and about (like a whistle), especially when he's charging in front, straining on his leash.

He's only been with us for three weeks but he's been pretty good so far. All dogs have their quirks and, as you say, you have to pick your battles. With him, I was told that the Dogs Trust will lift their leash disclaimer if I can demonstrate he has good recall and will be calm with other dogs and children. This is what I'm aiming for. I want him to be calm on and off the leash and, well, that's about it. Everything else is negotiable.

I think having Indie as a companion is really helping. They sleep near each other during the day so that when Indie hears something and comes down the stairs, Monty will follow. Monty also hears Zara barking from upstairs so will come down to investigate. He doesn't seem to realise that she barks at nothing most of the time.

A strange side effect of having a big "little" brother is that Indie is far more confident when he meets larger dogs. He's always been a bit wary of big dogs (there was a time Indie, Zara and I met 5 Newfoundland bitches out for a walk in the park and Indie hid under the car until they left).

michelle81

Post by michelle81 » 22 Aug 2014, 11:40

I called the Vet School in Glasgow (they do BAER testing) and they said that they'd have to sedate to do the test, which I'm not keen on.

swardie

Post by swardie » 22 Aug 2014, 12:07

Aw, Michelle- what a great knock on effect for Indie!! X you're doing a great job! We're having to sedate Dex next week so we can go on our hols, so understand your concerns totally! Good luck. X

michelle81

Post by michelle81 » 22 Aug 2014, 14:43

Indie's always had (and excuse my Glaswegian) "wee man syndrome". Monty's now his bodyguard :D

Ianto!

Post by Ianto! » 22 Aug 2014, 20:10

michelle,
I understand your reluctance... Ianto needed a G.A. for his (possible) HD x-rays, so I waited until he was neutered and had them done at the same time.
Anne & Ianto x

nutttymutts

Post by nutttymutts » 23 Aug 2014, 10:20

Please please please don't use a spray or anything that is going to spook them out.
Put some cotton wool in ur ears and then some ear defenders on and see how it feels to not be able to hear but to have someone sqirt water at you them vibrate a devices around your neck or make sounds to try and make you jump. You would not want to go to them you would run from the punishments and not know what it is you have done wrong?
Asha has developed a park bark to the point of obsession. This is what we are doing to stop the unwanted behavior it is not a quick fix.
First you must have a good basic sit. Stay, leave and recall and away command signs or for dog that can hear words.once you have these in place you can then forgetting to work on Barking.
start off distraction free setting.
decide on what hand signal you are going to you for quiet.
then do action or show the trigger setting object that starts the Barking. Then remove the offending item or cover it up so that the barking stops each time the barking stops treat immediately. providing a dog being able to succeed at least times you can then move on to joining this action and the the hand signal together with the treat, so that the dog recognises the hand signal to be quiet signals. you need to practice this in little bursts and very often the day everyday not only will you find parking will start find the bond between you and a dog becomes a lot stronger also the dog will think its playing and be happy to be quiet once this is obtained in house can do it outside and this is where recall is needed . this is the stage I am at with Asha.