What Harness ???

Use this area to seek or offer guidance on specific training or behavioural matters.
jilli

What Harness ???

Post by jilli » 17 Sep 2014, 10:46

Hi

We have a 6 year old "labradonkey" called Dudley, we have been advised by our vet to use a harness to walk him as recently he has had an intermittent problem with his neck. Our vet thinks he may have pulled/strained a muscle, (hopefully !), as the alternative may be a trapped nerve in his vertebrae. He is on anti-inflammatory/steroids at the moment to see if it helps ease it for him.

So the long and the short of it is no walking with the lead or anything attached to his collar. We have , in the past, used the gentle leader harness (which he doesn't like) to stop him pulling but again this attaches to his collar.

So I just wondered if anyone can recommend a good harness that will be comfy for him but also won't matt his fur, he is curly/fleecey doodle and we tend to keep his coat longish.

Many Thanks

Jill & Dudley x

michelle81

Re: What Harness ???

Post by michelle81 » 17 Sep 2014, 13:19

I got Monty a Perfect Fit harness. It's fleece in the inside and comes in a range of colours (I went for fluorescent yellow). Monty has a hair coat so I don't know about the fleece one. He loves his harness (and will lick it when he sees it, weirdly). The perfect fit has a front D ring, to help with pulling. Monty has found a way around the front D ring, though, and still manages to pull.

I also got him a Dogmatic head collar which he doesn't like as much but it stops him pulling. We put it on when he's being particularly bad then remove it when he's walking nice.

ruth1981

Post by ruth1981 » 17 Sep 2014, 14:09

Our girls have Hunter 'Norwegian racing harnesses' which are very nice, just one fleecy strap around the chest and one around the tummy. They do cause some minor matting but I'm not sure there's any getting around that, unfortunately.

http://www.portonaquapet.co.uk/-M56447? ... tAod-xIACA

Pollydoodle

Post by Pollydoodle » 17 Sep 2014, 16:19

I use premier easy walk ,front D ring and works well with the 'donkey' this side

As to your boy having pulled muscle or potential trapped nerve - Do try some gentle massage yourself on him. Have you considered a McTimoney chiropractor,either way they could ease his muscles or help further even physio. Investigate and then get phone referral from vets.
Where about are you in the country?

Hope Dudley is feeling better soon,sore neck is not fun

Bid

Post by Bid » 17 Sep 2014, 18:56

Poppy has a jigsaw harness - it is the same as the perfect fit but without the fleece as I think when that gets soggy it must feel horrid. You can get all the parts in different sizes so it fits well - she is a curly poodley doodle and her coat doesn't matt on her harness SHe's had it for 5 years and wears it for every walk , so it lasts well!
www.dogtrekker.co.uk
Beauty without vanity, strength without insolence, courage without ferocity, and all the virtues of man without his vices - Byron