including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 05:45

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Following us out of the room
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2015, 09:49 

Tilly is doing really well in most areas. She sleeps from 11:00pm to 5:30am without much of a peep in her crate/run in the living room.
The only area that's driving us potty is how when we try and leave the room during the day. She hurtles towards the door and tries to escape with us. It takes some force to push her back into the room.
She is confined to one half of the living room / kitchen (its a big open plan living room / kitchen) by wire gates. She even barks and whines when we are in the other half cooking etc even though she can see us. We keep keep the room seperated at the moment to give the cat somewhere safe to go (though she is mainly hiding in the bedrooms).
We have tried the turning our backs when she barks and not making a fuss when we come into the room but she still goes runs for the door when we try and leave and barks if we are out of the room.
She's only 15 weeks old but she needs to learn to relax on her own during the day and not make it pain for everyone when they need to go to the loo or make a cup of tea.
Any ideas ?

Post subject: Re: Following us out of the room
PostPosted: 11 Sep 2015, 10:23 

It's hard when they are pups cause you do feel sorry for them and want to give in, I don't really have any advise on what to do as Beau has full run of the house but at 17 months he still follows me wherever I go I can't get up from the sofa without him jumping up. I have never been able to get him out of it .

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2015, 13:14 

She's just a baby. She hasn't learnt yet that when you go you'll always come back. Go in and out a lot so she learns that you do come back.
Only give her attention when she's not squeaking or barking. Teach her "calm" and "settle down". Basically praise her every now and again when she's laying down settled and calm. Give her a treat and say "Good girl, Tilly calm, settle down now". Then she knows what you are asking for when you say it. Sounds crazy but it does work. Not always on puppy crazy times but soon you will say "Tilly calm, settle down" and she'll turn a little circle and flop down in a heap with a sigh. Honest!
Give her boxes with hidden treats in to destroy or things that distract her.
A hand full of peas or chunks of carrot chucked on the floor when you nip out will take her attention from being left.
I had Tess in a pen because she would have destroyed my house but it caused a lot of guilt and exhaustion from keeping her happy and entertained in there. It's very hard work but it pays off. Then when she's out you can teach her the house rules rather than have her tear round causing havoc. Good luck. X

xxx

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2015, 15:44 

I agree with all above - remember the last time she left her family she never saw them again.

PostPosted: 11 Sep 2015, 16:38 

she is still young yet, you have to liken to leaving a child, if it is occupied it will be okay. Try hiding treats around where she is allowed so she can be distracted. Teach her the go find treats (I hide treats all over the place and say go find and she spends her time looking for things (put it under her mat o something) just so she knows when she is in there are you are busy it can be fun.

Lulu was also taught to settle down (thanks to suzie above) it is so helpful. It will tAKE time but I believe consistency will pay off

ImageImage

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2015, 10:36 

Thanks all. Will just be firm and patient then.
She managed an hour this morning in her run/crate after her walk whilst I was in another room. I gave her a kong with treats in it to keep her occupied and apart from 5 minutes barking at the start she was quite.
Still hurtling at the door when she is loose though but as you say she's still a baby. She's lovely natured and coming on well so I am sure she will be OK eventually.

PostPosted: 14 Sep 2015, 17:49 

What I also should have said is that doodles are velcro dogs anyway and she will always want to be with you most of the time whatever her age. Managing her being left now is important so her natural puppy insecurity doesn't turn in to separation anxiety which is what you are clearly trying to do.
You will find, like the rest of us, that if you don't quite shut the door to the loo, a little nose will appear through the gap. When you're cooking tea she will lay between you and the cupboards or just behind you and trip you up when you step back. You''ll think she's sound asleep but get up to leave the room and she'll jump up and come with you and flop down where you are. That's doodles!
You just need her to be chilled about you going because she knows you'll come back and distract her, even turn it in to a positive thing in her mind if she gets something tasty to play with. I still always give Tess a kong wobbler when I leave her home alone, which is rarely, and she couldn't care less when I go!

xxx

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2015, 14:01 

An update:

Since yesterday all of a sudden she has started to get better with this. If she is snoozing her head still snaps up as you go to leave the room but often she doesn't move. If she is properly awake she walks towards the door but doesn't try and rush out after you or through your legs. About 50% of the time she still does rush the door but its an improvement and makes me feel we are on the right track.
Mind you if she finds everyone has left the room she still howls and barks :)

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2015, 08:13 

We had this problem with Rudy and were told to try and teach him the stay command.
So tell them to sit/lie down and take a step back and if they stay put, give a treat and then take two steps back and repeat the process until you are out of the room and they are sitting patiently waiting. I did this with him every day for a few minutes for weeks.
I think in general it taught Rudy to chill out even if we have left the room - we will be back - and quite possibly with a tasty treat! :D

PostPosted: 28 Jan 2016, 11:05 

An update. Tilly is now 8 months and no longer trys to rush out of the room with us most of the time. For me she is very good and stays when I tell her. If I am away for work though she still does it when my wife is by herself. I think that's a separate issue though due to her being "my dog" and with me all the time when I am working from home so if I have to go away the behaviour with my wife is some kind of separation anxiety.
So for anyone else with a similar problem just be firm and eventually they get it and after a few months you forget that you used to have the problem.