including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 12:08

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Help please, anyone got experience of gps collars?
PostPosted: 21 Sep 2015, 10:19 

Hi folks,
Doodles calm down when they are three.
That's what lots of people seem to say. I've heard it on here and doodle owners you meet seem to agree.
It seemed like such a long way off when I was in the tearing my hair out, naughty puppy and teenage stages, but now it's in sight.
October 6th and I have been looking forward wondering (albeit sceptically) if a mature reliable dog will emerge. Even though she still is so puppy like in her play and sense of fun and I hope that never changes.

Well guess what- they lied.
We are going through a second teenage stage. With knobs on.
I hope she is nowhere near half way through her life so it can't be a mid life crisis- maybe it's a pre-mid life crisis.

She keeps disappearing after pheasants and until now it's been chase and look for me as soon as its out of sight. Last night, however she was gone for an hour. Not funny. I really thought that was it. She was gone and my next move was to click the "dogs lost" profile I have set up ready in to action.
But we found her. We are not speaking. I can't look at her. I've even threatened her with Gumtree. (Don't mean it but don't tell her).

Besides wondering if this happened to anyone else at this age and if anyone has any advice, I think I am going to get a gps collar.

Has anyone used one or have any experience of them good or bad?
Is there one you recommend or would avoid?
Any though very great fully received.
Thanks folks. Xx.

xxx

Post subject: Re: Help please, anyone got experience of gps collars?
PostPosted: 21 Sep 2015, 21:19 

I have a chaser, and I know it is not fun when they are gone for a long time. Poppy is a repeat offender though, and I have decided that it is safer for her not to be off lead in unsecured areas. I considered a GPS collar, but decided it would not be useful - it wouldn't really help to know where she was because if she was moving and out of earshot there would be nothing I could do about it anyway, even if I knew where she was. Mostly though, it is because if she is out of earshot the liklihood is that she will be crossing roads in her chase - in an hour they can cross a lot of roads, and I would never forgive myself if she caused a serious accident, let alone got injured or worse herself.

Over the years I have studied canine behaviour, and been to a lot of seminars and workshops on chase, and my main discoveries are ...

Chasing is addictive - literally. It releases the same chemical in the brain as ecstacy - dopamine. So the more they chase the more they want/need to, which means prevention is important.

Training a chase recall is only any good if you can get their attention for them to hear the recall command.

Teaching your dog to run after a ball is training them to chase.

A dog that can't go offlead much can still enjoy walks and there are lots of ways for them to get enough exercise.

Don't give up hope on the growing up and settling down though - Daisy finally got her act together when she was 5 - mostly!

PostPosted: 21 Sep 2015, 23:06 

If it helps you are not alone.
The less you set her up for chase scenarios now the better it will be long term imo. First off stop the pheasant chase.Reading your post twice,realising this is not sudden onset but has been building gradually. Bid gives sound advice from her experience.
If you really want GPS i think Doglost recommended some or maybe it was paid advert i saw :?

Walking at dusk/ nightfall is prime hunting time. So i would restrict that walk to on lead.As Bid says getting their attention before they flip to 'deaf ear' /hunt is critical. Watch her body you shall start to see the signs, study this in garden/safe area or on lead.
I have found training chase (ball/kong) recall helpful to me in my situation.
There are other 'sports' you could both have fun with so she can use her er skills. Eg we have had great fun with Pam from Talking Dogs Scentwork. Truly a lovely,forward thinking lady with your dog's best interest at the forefront.

PostPosted: 23 Sep 2015, 00:03 

Thanks for your replies. It's good to hear that others have found ways to deal with it and have happy, safe dogs.
Reading reviews about the collars they say that they might only tell you where the dog was a minute ago. Not that useful but I do think it may have helped as there were two places we thought she'd go and I picked the wrong one and walked miles in the wrong direction. She hadn't actually gone far. She was hunting in a field one away from our garden.

I do agree that their value is limited but possibly better than nothing and not having a clue. I guess you wouldn't know for sure until you used one in an incident!

There is the chance that she will have to be on the lead all the time but I hope not.
What she is doing is sniffing scents and she loves to flush. If she can see a bird she'll chase it and put it up but she's gives up when it's out of sight

She just looks/ sniffs for thing to flush and gets in a zone of her own.

I wonder if I should be working on this myself with her and take control so she's working for me and getting her fix it would this just encourage her addiction?

I have no idea how to get her to work like a gun dog or of exercises we can do as the only thing a read about I thought used cruel methods.
A lady like the one you mention Pollydoodle sound like just what I need.
If anyone has any ideas I would be most grateful. Thanks xx

xxx

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2015, 17:45 

Hi,i hope things are sorting themselves out,i am a trainer with 35 years experience and have come across this problem on many occasions.The problem with advise from third parties is that although 100% well meaning the only way to solve the problem is to find a good one to one trainer who will spend time with you and very often see a solution from a completely different angle once they have met you,your dog and see what the problem is.I solve a lot of this type of behavioural problems from looking at the situation from a totally different angle to that which the owner sees.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2015, 18:58 

Trainer here too! :D

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2015, 23:06 

:? The third parties you mention don't come any more experienced or qualified than the good people on here. What they don't know about doodles is not worth knowing, some of them just through experience and some through study and qualifications too. They've been with me through thick and thin on my doodle journey and I value their advice and opinions highly.

xxx

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2015, 23:28 

And the crowds roared, "WE LOVE YOU SUZI :lol:

It could well be we loveTess more of course :wink:
Oh tis been a long day, today! Thanks to all for helping me smile.

PostPosted: 24 Sep 2015, 23:46 

:wink: :lol:
My pleasure!
You wouldn't have loved her the other day. We are friends again though and we have been cautiously letting her off in places and putting her on in others. Tbh, it was hideous that she was gone so long but I think we just looked in the wrong place and not in her favourite sniffing field. If we had we would have found her much sooner.
That's why I wondered about the gps collar.
Xxx

xxx

PostPosted: 26 Sep 2015, 15:04 

You have completely missed my point.Of course forum members are able to give you excellent well meaning advice,but armed with those thoughts and full of confidence what do you do when you let your dog off lead and it still fails to respond? My point was simply to suggest that if an experienced trainer was by your side he or she could give you immediate help regarding a successful outcome to the problem.It matters not if the breed is Labradoodle or any other we are human the dog is an animal with totally different character traits to us.Therefore we must respond to problem solving in a rational and logical way that the dog understands.I am sure that more than one of the forums members have experience in training methods so their comments would be interesting however that may digress from you threads theme,so perhaps a new thread on how we as humans must adapt our thought process when training our dogs?

PostPosted: 08 Oct 2015, 22:23 

Kinda negates the need for the forum though, doesn't it Harleyboy?
And I really like this one.
Hope things are improving for you and Tess, Suzi -
Anne, the Artful Dodger & wee 'Oliver' x

PostPosted: 12 Oct 2015, 08:26 

Thank you Anne :wink: - sorry I just spotted this.
We are fine thank you. It's like a minefield as they release thousands of pheasants round here for shooting and there can be groups of up to twenty sometimes. :shock:
I just have to be vigilant and try to spot them first but she picks up the scent and flushes them out.
We play a game I call "chuck'ems" where I throw treats shouting "away" then "come" and ask her to do things on the return like a spin or go through my legs or lay down or go behind me and sit by my side. That really helps distract her and if I shout "wanna play chuck'ems" in an emergency I can sometimes get her attention. She will play it as long as I let her so it's fab for getting past trouble.
I am letting her off and putting her on in areas I know she likes to sniff in and just trying to manage walks with my heart in my mouth most of the time. Xx

xxx

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2015, 23:04 

Sounds like you winning, Suzi. :D
Don't be disheartened if she suddenly gets worse fir a short period. Keep going with those games.

PostPosted: 15 Oct 2015, 23:43 

:) Thanks for the encouragement. She is a lot better at the moment so I hope it was a blip.
If anyone else is having similar trouble, that game really helps to keep the focus on you and gives you a chance of getting past a temptation.
Some dogs have a toy they love you can use but that doesn't work with her when out on walks.
Xx

xxx

PostPosted: 16 Oct 2015, 17:50 

Well Suzi, at least you can comfort yourself that you are having more success with Tess than I am with the Artful... His problem isn't so much 'the thrill of the chase', more the peace-time equivalent of a British P.O.W.'s desire for 'the Great Escape'... :?

Our trainer has told me that I need to be more interesting... (more interesting than fox pooh, duck bread, other people, other dogs, cow pats, wide open spaces and vast stretches of open water... :roll: ) At present I appear to be somewhat less interesting than cold rice pudding, a fact that he has made abundantly clear. :oops: Pockets full of delicious, fresh-roasted chicken; squeaky toys; running away; hiding; flailing my arms and even dropping to the floor as if felled by a stray partridge cartridge have all failed miserably.

Currently, he is under close arrest, which may last all the way until he's 32... (He cleared his third birthday last week - quite a feat considering the number of times I've threatened to murder him!) The plan is to book a few sessions at a training facility which has a completely stock-proof field and use a trailing lead on him. I figure that if I book an hour, I'll need to start trying to get him back about 5 minutes in...! But I'm going to nick your "chuck'ems" idea to lure him close enough, because I get the feeling that if he knows he's on a 10m line, he'll pretty soon realise he has to stay 10.5m away from me!

Fortunately, the puppy (so far) seems to think I'm the best thing since sliced bread - and I'm training him separately so that Ianto doesn't disavail him of this impression.... :wink:

Anne, Ianto & Wyre x