including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 23 Nov 2017, 02:47

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Location of pen and separation anxiety
PostPosted: 24 Feb 2016, 09:31 

Firstly, apologies if this is in the wrong sub forum. I was wondering if anyone had any experience with separation anxiety? I was thinking of keeping Harvey when he arrives in a pen in my bedroom, but I'm not sure if this is the best place to keep him as he'll see a lot of me and it may give him separation anxiety when I leave? Any thoughts/ideas? Thanks in advance!

Post subject: Re: Location of pen and separation anxiety
PostPosted: 24 Feb 2016, 11:18 

I don't think any one action will make separation anxiety more or less likely, i think it's more to do with the personality of the dog - but to let you know, the BBC did a programme on this and all dogs get it, they get stress hormones while you are away, some more than others. It was something like 99%. They are pack animals.

I would have though, like children, the more secure they are in your love the more likely they are to be laid-back and calm.

Just make sure from the start that you do lots of leaving the room for very small periods and coming back in.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2016, 11:57 

We have had our pup for almost 4 weeks now. She has been brilliant with being left. We are a family of 5 with young children so the house is usually hectic. When we leave we moisten some of her kibble and stuff it into a Kong and put it in her crate, she follows it in. We do not say 'goodbye' to her or make any fuss at all. When we come back we don't go straight to her or make a fuss. She has learnt that the times we leave and return are calm times and does not make any fuss at all. We have a camera set up in the kitchen so we can see what she is up to while we are away and she is either sleeping or chewing her Kong, never barking. It has worked so well. We do the same for bedtime, give her some treats in her crate and leave with no fuss. She sleeps from 10-7 every night with no barking or crying. It really works! It takes self control on our part, especially for the kids not to make a fuss when they are leaving for the day but it is best for pup.

Hope things go well. It's a lot of fun but also a lot of work!!

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2016, 12:30 

I agree with Liz, all pups are different.All dogs get anxiety to some degree. We have always let pups sleep in the bedroom( this helps with toilet training in my opinion. Others may disagree)
The advice about leaving without a fuss etc is very sound. But it doesn't always go smoothly :roll: I had a Cairn,in my 20s,who couldn't care less if we were there or not and a Spaniel who broke his heart when we left the room. Dude hates being left( despite my best efforts) but I'm sure it's because I'm in my studio working alday and he's my constant companion.
They are all different. Good luck. Anny and Dude.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2016, 12:50 

Have to admit Lola loathes being left - in fact, she gets colic, but she is my assistance dog and is used to being with me all the time, I mean every second, and comes out most places with me, and is usually with a member of the family if not, like when I go to choir (she howls, not in tune!).

We got her the 6ft Savic pen thinking it would be a good idea so I could write in peace with her safe in the pen beside me, but she climbed out using her claws - and she was only about 8 inches high, being a mini!

Now the pen makes a fabulous cage underneath the bird feeders and keeps the birds safe from the cat.

What I am saying is, the best-laid plans can go wrong, they are all so different and you just don't know what you are going to get.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2016, 13:23 

I would also like to say, as an author, I frequently have anxiety when separated from my pen.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2016, 19:08 

I was prepared to take our first pup into the bedroom with us for his first few nights - it must be so strange for them to be on their own, in a strange place - but the OH had other ideas... :(
So the puppy and I spent a few nights together in the kitchen! I bought him a play pen and used to leave him in it in the kitchen whilst I sat in the front room - just to get him used to being on his own.
We were advised a Warm Hello! and a Cold Goodbye (not making a big fuss about leaving) - even now, I give them both a few pieces of kibble and just say, 'Stay and be good...' then leave.
I don't think you can 'spoil' a very young baby by giving too much attention, it's a case of finding a healthy balance. I was so worried about leaving our lad at first (I think I empathised too much) that he got 'clingy', hence having to leave him in a different room before graduating to going out without him...
Go with what feels right - he may sleep through, he may wake you for toileting; if he does, try not to make a big fuss of him (except when he does the deed!) and just pop him back to bed, so he gets the message that 3 am is not playtime!! :D
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2016, 08:23 

Lulu was in her crate for four hours. She howled barked and went crazy. She pooed and weed and destroyed the pads. And whatever she could. I took her out and she slept outside my bedroom. No noise and there she would stay. Somehow she gravitated to sleeping under the bed and now she had a bed there. I do wish I had persevered as she was a chewer when I wasn't with her. That stopped eventually and we have sorted any problems I actually say goodbye with a kiss and cuddle as she then knows she isn't coming with me. My return home is a really big warm hello not on my part though in hers. Even if I have just been to the car. Anyway i did it back to front I suppose so just be guided by dogs personality and what works well for you and the dog.

ImageImage

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2016, 08:33 

I don't crate, but use a puppy pen for when I am not there (I use the Crufts freedom Puppy Pen). The important thing is to leave the puppy from the very first day - not for long, but enough for the pup to know you are not around. I would dispute the statement that all dogs get stressed when left since a stressed dog isn't one lying on the sofa with legs in the air snoring, which is what goes on here in my absence. (Yes, I saw the BBC programme, and what they said was that more dogs than we realise suffer from it).

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2016, 19:09 

Yes, I think that it is much more stressful for a dog who hasn't been used to being left when, for whatever reason, they have to be left (in an emergency, for instance.) It is much better to get them used to being left, even if you don't have to, so that they can cope with it.

Anne, Ianto & Wyre x