including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 05:56

All times are UTC [ DST ]

How long did it take for you to toilet train your doodle?
<4 weeks 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
4-6 weeks 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
6-8 weeks 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
8-10 weeks 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
10+ weeks 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 0
 Post subject: How long did toilet training take you?
PostPosted: 24 Feb 2016, 09:33 

Out of pure curiosity! Interested to see the level of variance in the answers

Post subject: Re: How long did toilet training take you?
PostPosted: 24 Feb 2016, 11:15 

Quite a while. It seemed. Couple to three months to be absolutely perfect. And they stay needing several times a day for a long time when they are pups.

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2016, 12:17 

There isn't a straightforward answer to that question. Months not weeks I would say. It depends what you mean exactly? You have to just relax and follow the rules: lots of trips out at first, hourly or more.
My opinion is that pups learn more quickly if they are not crated. And they do better overnight if you take them out when they whimper in the early hours.
You have to be pragmatic about accidents and think of it as No Big Deal. It's really a case of them gradually being able to hold on longer as they get older. Once they are old enough to go out for walks they start to need to go less I've found.
A good tip is no food later than 6pm and no water after 10pm, but a pup is unlikely to hold much longer than 3am at first.
At first you need to watch like a hawk for the little signs and it's good to let the pup potter around with yo so you can see when they are likely to o something :D Anny and Dude

PostPosted: 24 Feb 2016, 19:38 

The poll wouldn't let me vote but I'd have to go for the 10+ weeks... As Anny says, it depends what you mean... You can think you've cracked it, then discover a rather warm, damp sock or a suspicious pong in the front room...
It's definitely a case of watching them like a hawk, coupled with taking them outside frequently - after a nap, after playing, after feeding, after a while if they haven't been out for any other reason :wink: Watch out for circling, sniffing, and disappearances (nipping behind the settee!) At first, it is much easier to ensure they're in the same room with you (unless they're crated or in their pen). And make sure you take them out (preferably on a lead) so that they learn they are outside specifically to toilet (or as the Americans tend to call it 'Go potty' :? ), not to play. You are then on hand to encourage them, and praise/treat them when they do it.
Patience and consistency - and the ability to stand out in a cold, wet garden at all hours whilst uttering such phrases as, "Wee wees!" and "Get Busy!" tend to help...! :lol:
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2016, 11:36 

The poll feature doesn't work and never has.

PostPosted: 25 Feb 2016, 13:05 

We only had poos in the house for the first few days but wees took longer.
I think until about 4.5 months until she was reliable. Then she did a wee out of the blue in the living room at 6 months but since then no accidents.
So I would say cast iron at 6 months.

I did not crate. I had a pen and pads or paper at night. I never got up to her at night. She was soon dry at night and I don't think not getting up slowed her down. I did give water as I would hate to wake in the night with a dry mouth and not be able to have a sip of water myself. I think animals we keep captive should always have access to water but I don't suppose it will do them great harm to do without if that's your way.
I gave a couple of biscuits at bedtime to stave off hunger or she would vomit yellow bile from having an empty tummy for too long. There's no right or wrong- just what works for you.
Xx

xxx

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2016, 08:27 

Mine were all different. Summer puppies are usually easier because we tend to have the door open all day, whereas winter puppies get taken out for a wee at intervals. Poppy was the slowest - she took until she was 20 weeks to be totally trained.

PostPosted: 26 Feb 2016, 18:58 

suzi23173 wrote:
Summer puppies are usually easier

Ah, summer puppies! I dream of summer puppies....! :D :D :D

Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

Edited to add: Well, I don't know what happened there, cos I know it was Bid who said that! :shock: