including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 05:56

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Ziva's first day at school
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2016, 17:06 

This morning was Ziva's first puppy lesson. Seems things we thought we were doing correctly was wrong but it was very worthwhile and Ziva's tail wagged throughout the hours lesson. We've been set our homework for the week so a lot of work to do concentrating on recall and walking correctly on the lead. We're loving it.

Post subject: Re: Ziva's first day at school
PostPosted: 19 Mar 2016, 17:29 

Well done Ziva! The main thing is to enjoy the classes, get some tips and then find out which work best for you and your pup. Dude would never do "Down" at puppy class because their method didn't work for him. However we got good tips about other things. We did 6 classes which seemed plenty. All pups are different. Dude took to recall really well but the lead training took longer because he tended to pull. I was determined to get that right because he's fairly large. With most things it's a case of being consistent. It all takes longer than you imagine but it's a joy to see the results. Last week Dude suddenly saw some sheep and set off after them :shock: My husband shouted his name and he instantly stopped, mid flight, and returned! He will be 3 in June. I reckon most dogs are trained by 2. Anny

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2016, 18:35 

Glad you enjoyed it - mine all love training classes and I still take them when I can. One of the classes I run is the advanced obedience class where the dogs are mostly aged 8 - 13. It is more a club than a class and we have tea & biscuits, discuss training, spread the word about talks and masterclasses in our area, oh and do a little training inbetween!

Re the "down" in class - a lot of dogs won't lie down on a hard floor, so people bring mats to encourage the dogs to lie down if they are uncomfortable.

THis is the advanced class doing their "down stay" - most owners are in the kitchen washing up. I love the photo because it looks like the dogs are all having a bedtime story!

PostPosted: 19 Mar 2016, 19:54 

That is a fantastic photo! Brilliant :D Anny