including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 24 Nov 2017, 12:10

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Time Out
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2016, 09:29 

I've been reading a lot on here about Time Out and I just wanted to ask what is a suitable Time Out? We are planning on using a crate to help train our pup. Is it ok to shut them in the crate for T/O? I read that you shouldn't close the door whilst they are getting used to it.

Thanks

Post subject: Re: Time Out
PostPosted: 27 Mar 2016, 12:01 

As a non crater I may not have the answer you are looking for, however in my experience, when pups get a bit crazy and overtired,I have always sat very quietly in a chair and encouraged the pup to settle beside me. No loud noises, just a soothing voice and a stroke. I say "calm down now" and somehow, without any stimulation this works. At first the pup may be dashing around, but if you can be still and become a calm presence this really works. I learned this as a child when we had dogs. Do you have children? You can encourage this kind of Time Out with children. Good luck. Anny

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2016, 12:46 

yes I do, two. And that is exactly what I used to do with them when they were crazy with tiredness.

The more I learn the more it seems that managing puppies and children have a lot in common! :lol: Thanks for replying.

PostPosted: 27 Mar 2016, 21:02 

I am a non crater too, but I do use puppy pens which have a similar function. I use the pen for time-outs, but always make sure the time-out includes something such as a stuffed kong, so the pen is not being used as a punishment. Chewing is relaxing to puppies and helps themto calm down quickly.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2016, 08:52 

Thanks for that. I wondered about giving a kong or something but didn't know if this would be rewarding and encouraging crazy behaviour.

When my last dog was a pup we called it the wall of death because she would run around at such speeds she'd knock you flying. This was 13 years ago and can't remember how I dealt with it. I didn't crate then.

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2016, 11:35 

I'm a bit like you in that I grew up in a house with lots of dogs, had my last dog in my 20s, then didn't get Dude til my 50s! You do forget a lot! However, we didn't crate then and I wouldn't now. I'm with Bid in making a quiet area( playpen would work well to remove pup from children)
My husband made a sort of pen in the corner of our kitchen but Dude HATED it so much we soon dismantled it( all pups are different!) In fact he has been a pretty calm dog...apart from those Crackerdoodle moments when he would run around until he was exhausted( this was when he was a tiny pup) If he got too excited I would do the calm sitting down thing and give him a toy to chew( a Kong would be good too)He would settle in his basket in the kitchen and go to sleep. He likes to have us in view! Anny

PostPosted: 28 Mar 2016, 13:40 

Brooks13 wrote:
Thanks for that. I wondered about giving a kong or something but didn't know if this would be rewarding and encouraging crazy behaviour..

You have about 5 seconds to give reward before they cease to associate the reward with the action, so by the time you've distracted your pup and led them away, dug out the reward and closed the pen/crate they will have totally fogotten about the craziness!

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2016, 09:43 

ah, good tip Bid. Thank you.

We're reading a chapter a night of our Happy Puppy book - hadn't really got to training yet!

PostPosted: 29 Mar 2016, 22:21 

One thing I realised quite soon about puppy training books was, the puppy hadn't read it....! :wink:
Gwen Bailey's The Perfect Puppy assumed that if you asked your pup to perform a behaviour, it would.... and mine didn't! There was no chapter for that... :? Use what works... :D
I used a play pen as my little guy would get himself into bother if he was left on his own - he soon settled into it, and was perfectly happy to be left in it overnight or if I had to go out during the day (as well as for those Time Out moments.) It meant he was free to move around, whilst being safely confined.
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2016, 07:36 

Thank you. On the subject of pens... I am thinking of a pen now... is that over kill? should I just use one?

Was thinking the crate for his/her quiet place door opened all the time with the pen for the freedom when I have to pop out, wash the floor etc. I understand that this might make toilet training longer????

ot if I am using a pen should I just use a bed instead of a crate?

Questions, questions.......!

To be honest, I think I'm blinding myself with books. I've had a puppy before who grew into a wonderful best friend. My parents had pups when I was a child. I know I can't go to wrong as long as I stick to the basic rules but form some reason I am over preparing with this one and sometimes I can't see the wood for the trees!

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2016, 08:01 

I bought a crate because a lot of information out there seems to say it's the new normal to crate your pup but when it came to shutting her in. I couldn't do it. So I bought a pen and had both but never shut the door of the crate other than to mop the floor.
I think if you are crating you build up to closing the door by leaving it open at first then closing it for moments. Stay close by at first, then away but in the room, then leave the room for longer amounts of time. You can feed and treat and put toys and stuffed kings in to into entice them in and make it a nice place.
It didn't slow down house training. It meant I didn't get up in the night.
As you might have read in recent posts doodle pups can be quite a handful and if you want to stop them rampaging through the house, away from stairs (which is dad for their bones) and carpet and wires and skirting boards and furniture they will chew but with more space than a crate then a pen is essential.
You need to nip bad habits in the bud as well so if you let them do something "naughty" a couple of times when you weren't watching it will be harder to stop. So if I couldn't watch her like a hawk she was in there.
She always had somewhere safe to play but it was exhausting because if she was lively a would never just leave her. I had her out in the kitchen with me most of the day but when she was too nippy I but her in there and played with her through the bars.
I think when your pup arrives, you will just put all you know in place and know what's best instinctively. Xx

xxx

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2016, 08:10 

Thank you. You are so right. I'm doing a lot of over thinking but I am SO excited!!! And really want to be a the best dog owner I can be.

Going with the crate and a pen.

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2016, 08:54 

My feeling would be: if you have a pen you don't need a crate. Especially as you have had a dog before. Crates are expensive , cumbersome and Many people buy them and find that the pup/dog hates them. It's a personal thing. Anny

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2016, 11:34 

I wanted to put him next to our bed at night time so thought a crate could work for this. But a guess a box would be just as good... until he/she chews out!!!

PostPosted: 30 Mar 2016, 11:57 

We made a kind of pen in the corner of our bedroom. This meant I could hear pup and take him out for a wee at around 3am. If you can cope with broken nights it helps to speed up the process of being clean at night. Of course they still have the odd accident( put some pads near by in case) Some people don't like dogs upstairs, I do realise that.( The layout of our house is higgledy piggledy which means I wouldn't hear a pup in the kitchen.) We then dismantled the corner pen and he still sleeps in our room in his Wolfy Bed( google them, they are v good)
You will end up doing what works best for you. As you probably did with children! Anny