including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 19 Sep 2017, 19:55

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Genetic shyness?
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2016, 12:26 

Hi folks,

I took Winnie to her fifth puppy class last night. She is doing so well. They always ask at the end of the class if we have any questions/concerns. I told them I have noticed Winnie is reacting differently to people, places, things now when we are out on walks. She sometimes barks, growls or pulls away from people. She definitely doesn't like bikes or scooters. It seems to have no pattern, sometimes she will walk past someone and not react at all and other times she will bark at them and move away. I have also noticed if someone approaches her she lowers herself almost completely to the ground and pulls away. She is just over 17 weeks old. Is this normal at this age? The trainers at the class starting asking me about her parents. They seemed to be implying that she could be nervous/shy by nature. I thought the lowering was submissive behaviour but they said it was fear! It has got me a bit worried. She has such a lovely gentle temperament. I want to do what is right for her when we are out. The trainers said to give people a wide birth for now while out on walks. What do you think?

Post subject: Re: Genetic shyness?
PostPosted: 02 Apr 2016, 17:44 

It is possible for shyness to be genetic, or learnt from the Mum in the first 8 weeks, but I would think it is more likely that your puppy is going through a fear stage - there is a good explanation of them here .... http://www.dogstardaily.com/blogs/fear-dogs

It might be worth booking some 1-2-1 sessions with a behaviourist to nip it in the bud. You can ask your vet to recommend one, or look here for a suitably qualified one ... www.apbc.org.uk