including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 19 Sep 2017, 20:03

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Toilet Training
PostPosted: 30 May 2016, 07:43 

Bee is 11 weeks old today. We’ve had her for 1 week and she’s settled in so well. She can hold herself for about 4/6 hours over night, I take her out, she goes and we go back to bed no problem. We take her out regularly during the day. But there has been a couple of times in the last day or so where I have taken her out and waited for ages and she has not gone and then done it as soon as we have stepped inside – like the very second she’s in the door. What am I doing wrong? She gets tons of praise and a treat when she goes outside and when she goes indoors I don't react at all.

Post subject: Re: Toilet Training
PostPosted: 30 May 2016, 17:20 

Daisy is 15 weeks and also did this a few times. It beggars belief! :lol:
She doesn't do it now - she just got the hang of it. She still needs to go to the garden after a walk as she forgets when we walk.
We have said 'quick, quick' every time she is outside and will often go on command now.
Stick with it as you sound like you are doing the right things.

PostPosted: 30 May 2016, 22:53 

I think she is a little too young to have 'got it'. It is a brilliant coincidence. Sorry. But like babies they will have accidents. If you keep being consistent the coincidence will happen more and more. You are doing everything right and nothing wrong. (Although I would save treats for training and not for doing what comes naturally). A heap of praise like good girl good wee or whatever phrase you would like to use

These pups always fool you into a false sense of security. If you know she is going to do it when she comes in ie squats. Place her outside immediately and hopefully a little drizzle will warrant a good wee wee

Good luck. She sounds a clever little girl who is finding her feet now :lol:

ImageImage

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2016, 10:53 

This has happened to us too.

My puppy is 9 weeks and we have had him for just over a week, it was only a few days ago that my husband and I were saying to ourselves that we have cracked it and he is responding amazingly to toilet training (he started peeing and pooing outstand on command!) and then he did a poo and a wee on our front room floor!

I think we gave him too much freedom and relaxed a little, we definitely took our eyes off the ball because we started to trust him so we have gone back to watching him like a hawk when he is inside now.

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2016, 11:00 

Us too! Although she is getting better. this weather helps as to door is always open but she does like to have a toilet buddy. if you don't wondered round the garden with her she doesn't go (until she's back inside! :lol: )!

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2016, 11:14 

I think with most pups it takes longer than you imagine to toilet train them. My Mum always said there's a difference between Active and Passive toilet training. If you leave a door open for a young pup then that is Passive toilet training because they don't associate going outside with going for a wee/poo. If, however, you Actively take them out, on a lead, and give a command to "go" then praise them when they succeed, that's Active toilet training. It really works but you need to keep your eyes peeled.
Of course they will go into the garden for play sessions etc, ( off lead) and may well wee/poo then too, but we always did lead toilet training and it's a v sound method. Anny

PostPosted: 06 Jun 2016, 11:33 

Glad to hear that it's not just us and it gets better. We will be more 'active' from now on as he clearly hasn't got it fully. We did leave the door open this weekend and let him wander in and out so maybe that confused him.