including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 05:36

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Toilet training
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2016, 14:06 

We have a 4 month old standard labradoodle puppy named Archie who is so wonderful. I was just wondering if there was any advice for us as Archie is very good at going to the toilet outside, however he also seems to think carpetted areas are somewhere he is allowed to go to the toilet on, as well. We have tried using puppy training pads which he does use, but he still goes on the carpet as well. Is there anything we can do to try and train him out of this? Any comments are really appreciated, thanks. :)

When we take him outside, we have special words for a poo and a wee which remind him to go as well as giving him loads of praise and treats when he does go to the toilet out there. When he goes to the toilet in the house, we do not scold him, we just ignore it and clean it up.

Are we doing anything wrong or is there anything more we could do?

Post subject: Re: Toilet training
PostPosted: 15 Jul 2016, 15:13 

Don't want to comment on your leaning but when he has used the carpet have you defumigated where he had gone. They often go where they wNt before. Bleach s good but not on the carpet of course. Or the alternative is to just keep catching him before he goes. You can usually tell

ImageImage

PostPosted: 15 Jul 2016, 16:50 

Doodle Dee wrote:
Don't want to comment on your leaning but when he has used the carpet have you defumigated where he had gone. They often go where they wNt before. Bleach s good but not on the carpet of course. Or the alternative is to just keep catching him before he goes. You can usually tell

Hi, thanks for your reply,

We try our best to defumigate with various cleaning products, he seems to go where ever on the carpet with no obvious pattern as to where he has been before.
You're probably right in just taking him out as soon as it looks he is about to go. Thanks again :D :D

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2016, 10:38 

Hi. I am in the same boat wih our 18 week goldendoodle. She will go outside when the door is open but when it's shut she goes on the carpet (never ever on the hard floor!). we have gone right back to basics with her but she can go for a wee and then 3 minutes later do another one inside. The vets said she's all clear of any infection and goes all night without a wee. We use the special spray but is doesn't put her off it seems....

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2016, 10:59 

Pups are very like babies....some can take control of their bladder quicker than others. ....it can take up to 16/20 weeks.
Have you tried scrubbing soiled areas with a biological wash powder solution?
I never scolded when mistakes happened but I did use a very firm NO and took them outside..

PostPosted: 16 Jul 2016, 13:18 

Thank you to all for your replies, I really appreciate it- glad to hear we are not the only ones with this problem! :D I will try to use biological washing powders and then just keep an open eye on Archie to make sure I remove him as soon as he looks like he's about to go.

Thanks again !!

Post subject: Re: Toilet training0
PostPosted: 16 Jul 2016, 22:53 

I'd go back to basics.Concentrate on always going outside, i wouldn't use puppy pads either-everything outside (esp since weather is good)and remember to take him out regularly, as others have said.I think as they get abit older we forget that part. I'd even start again with the word you use ie say it when he goes rather than an encouragement to go. I wouldn't say anything if he happens to go indoors just encourage him outside.I say encourage as shortly he may be too heavy to lift. In past think i only ever used sode water and then probably 1001 carpet spray cleaner.

Brooks13 , guessing yr pup hasn't learn to ask enough to get your attention, if door is shut , when she needs to go so she has no option but indoors.

Good luck, it does suddenly all come right

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2016, 17:32 

Do you treat him with food when he goes outside?

We did at first for a week until we thought he 'got it' but then we had a hot weekend and we just left the back door open and he would go outside most of the time but had a few accidents in the house as well.

We started being more vigilant and taking him outside and using food as a reward and he seemed to learn quicker and go outside more consistently.

We still treat him with food now at 3.5 months but he still has accidents, today he peed in the kitchen when the back door was wide open! But then a few hours later he cried at the back door to be let out for a wee ?!?

You just have to remember they are babies and make sure you clean up after them.

We have hard floors and use a spray I bought from pets at home and he hasn't been in the same place twice. They have a carpet version it's in a green bottle.

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2016, 19:05 

We never used puppy pads. We used to make a note of the times stout went to the loo to try to work out how often he went. You can then pre empt and take them outside before the next wee is due. Good luck!

Chris, Michelle & Stout

ImageImage

Stout Puppy Pics:
http://photobucket.com/stoutdoodle

PostPosted: 17 Jul 2016, 19:42 

Yes the above is a good idea, they are fairly consistent, especially if you feed him at the same time each day.

Correct me if I'm wrong but do the puppy pads ammonia in them that encourage them to wee? It may be better to get rid of them all together if he is going outside also as it may be that that is confusing him.

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2016, 10:06 

TedsHuman wrote:
Do you treat him with food when he goes outside?

We did at first for a week until we thought he 'got it' but then we had a hot weekend and we just left the back door open and he would go outside most of the time but had a few accidents in the house as well.

We started being more vigilant and taking him outside and using food as a reward and he seemed to learn quicker and go outside more consistently.

We still treat him with food now at 3.5 months but he still has accidents, today he peed in the kitchen when the back door was wide open! But then a few hours later he cried at the back door to be let out for a wee ?!?

You just have to remember they are babies and make sure you clean up after them.

We have hard floors and use a spray I bought from pets at home and he hasn't been in the same place twice. They have a carpet version it's in a green bottle.

Hi, thank you so much for your reply, I found it very helpful. We started out by giving him treats when he went in the garden but we don't seem to do it anymore, maybe that's the issue. I'll make sure we bring something for him every time.

Yes, I think the pads do have something in them that makes the puppy want to go on them, I'll try to remove them for now and just keep taking Archie out every half an hour and see if his toilet training improves with a treat.

Thank you!!

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2016, 10:11 

stout wrote:
We never used puppy pads. We used to make a note of the times stout went to the loo to try to work out how often he went. You can then pre empt and take them outside before the next wee is due. Good luck!

That's a good idea, that means hopefully he'll never be doing it in the house and he'll just be rewarded and praised when he's outside! I'll have a go, thank you !

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2016, 11:20 

Personally I think leaving the back door open is a bad idea with pups. They go in and out and don't make a connection with going out for a wee!
We always took Dude out on his lead for wees so he understood why he was going out ( I learned this method growing up with dogs and it always works)
We kept a v close eye on him and took him out frequently. And we also noted down when he did wees/poos so we could see a pattern.
Of course he was also taken outside off lead to play but as a small pup he was rarely unaccompanied in the garden. It's a case of close attention early on. Anny

PostPosted: 18 Jul 2016, 11:20 

Personally I think leaving the back door open is a bad idea with pups. They go in and out and don't make a connection with going out for a wee!
We always took Dude out on his lead for wees so he understood why he was going out ( I learned this method growing up with dogs and it always works)
We kept a v close eye on him and took him out frequently. And we also noted down when he did wees/poos so we could see a pattern.
Of course he was also taken outside off lead to play but as a small pup he was rarely unaccompanied in the garden. It's a case of close attention early on. Anny

PostPosted: 19 Jul 2016, 00:13 

My approach has always been to put pups outside after sleeping, after playing, after eating and after drinking. I do use puppy pads but only at night (because I find puppies very tiring and I prefer not to get up at night). House training is one of those things that seems to go on forever and you think your pup will never get the hang of it, and then all of a sudden you realise that there have been no accidents for a few days and they have just got it!