including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 19 Sep 2017, 20:04

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Jumping and Biting?
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2016, 17:50 

Hello, we own Archie, a pale apricot (but turning a darker caramel colour) standard labradoodle puppy, he is currently 4 months old.

I was just wondering as recently (in the last 2 or 3 weeks) Archie has shown an interest in jumping up high at us and biting out, he never did this before but is now doing it a few times every day. We are aware that labradoodles are known to be quite bouncy and active, however we have not been able to find a situation where a labradoodle has been known to do it quite like Archie.

Sometimes there will be no warning for when he is about to do it, but it usually happens when we are out walking him on a lead. If he does this, he will continuously leap up at us trying to bite at our arms including our shoulders and all the way down to our legs, often leaving cuts and scratches or ripping our clothes. It is impossible to get his attention while he is doing this so we cannot distract him with a simple command, we try to step on the lead to prevent him from jumping up but he simply resorts to biting our legs instead. We know he is not doing this in a vicious way as he is not a vicious dog and his body language is not aggressive. When he is not jumping up, he is a very placid and sweet puppy. He is lovely toward other dogs and people and we have never been in a situation where he has done this behaviour to a stranger, we believe it is simply him getting suddenly very excited and playful.

We are worried however, that if this is not normal behaviour he will jump up at a stranger one day and will continue to do it when he is fully grown and more powerful. We are also aware that Archie is teething but this seems to be more than just nawing at our hands and fingers.

Is this normal behaviour and can we do anything to stop Archie from doing it?

Other than this, Archie is a lovely, lovely dog and we adore him to pieces. :D

Post subject: Re: Jumping and Biting?
PostPosted: 25 Jul 2016, 19:33 

Rest assured this is really just a phase. Honest! Most of us have been through similar and I think it is just when they think they are getting their confidence and finding their feet.

I remember Flo doing exactly the same and I thought she was having a personality change!

You just have to go right back to basics for a few weeks - being very firm and consistant and letting them know that you are still the pack leader thank you very much.

You will be delighted to know Flo reverted back to being the gentle, kind and loving dog we knew we had in the first place...and she still is!

PostPosted: 25 Jul 2016, 20:06 

susiet wrote:
Rest assured this is really just a phase. Honest! Most of us have been through similar and I think it is just when they think they are getting their confidence and finding their feet.

I remember Flo doing exactly the same and I thought she was having a personality change!

You just have to go right back to basics for a few weeks - being very firm and consistant and letting them know that you are still the pack leader thank you very much.

You will be delighted to know Flo reverted back to being the gentle, kind and loving dog we knew we had in the first place...and she still is!

Thank you so much for your reply, it has reassured us greatly, we were quite worried!!! I'm so glad that it is most likely a phase and very glad that he will grow out of it. What a relief!!

PS Flo looks absolutely gorgeous!

PostPosted: 26 Jul 2016, 00:23 

Daisy was like this - exactly! Turns out she is a particularly intelligent dog and she needed plenty to do. I would give your pup things to do that you can reward when he gets like this, but don't make it too easy. If he knows sit, and down, then make him do sit-down-sit-down before he gets a treat. If he gets it right, be very excited and make it quite an event. After that he will have forgotten about the jumping and biting and be thinking what he has to do to get all that to happen again!

PostPosted: 28 Jul 2016, 09:51 

Reading this really took me back to when Phoebe was about 2. It was almost like she had gone mad and not great on wet day when I was covered with muddy paw marks. I felt it was like a teenage/toddler tantrum when I thwarted her wishes or put her on the lead when she wanted to run. I got frustrated with her but then started turning my back on her with folded arms no eye contact. It soon stopped and she settled down after about 3 to be the most placid laid back dog I've ever had. She has been a therapy dog for 4 years and is completely trustworthy. Nothing bothers her. So be strong. It's worth it ☺️

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2016, 12:21 

Bid wrote:
Daisy was like this - exactly! Turns out she is a particularly intelligent dog and she needed plenty to do. I would give your pup things to do that you can reward when he gets like this, but don't make it too easy. If he knows sit, and down, then make him do sit-down-sit-down before he gets a treat. If he gets it right, be very excited and make it quite an event. After that he will have forgotten about the jumping and biting and be thinking what he has to do to get all that to happen again!

I will have ago at the sit-down-sit-down strategy and see if that will tone his jumpy excitement down, thank you !!

PostPosted: 29 Jul 2016, 12:23 

dwood wrote:
Reading this really took me back to when Phoebe was about 2. It was almost like she had gone mad and not great on wet day when I was covered with muddy paw marks. I felt it was like a teenage/toddler tantrum when I thwarted her wishes or put her on the lead when she wanted to run. I got frustrated with her but then started turning my back on her with folded arms no eye contact. It soon stopped and she settled down after about 3 to be the most placid laid back dog I've ever had. She has been a therapy dog for 4 years and is completely trustworthy. Nothing bothers her. So be strong. It's worth it ☺️

That is SO comforting to hear!! Wow, a therapy dog, most likely this phase will pass then!! That's wonderful news, thank you.