including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 06:03

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Early 'humping'
PostPosted: 17 Aug 2016, 22:13 

Well Woody has been home with us now for one week & seems to be settling very well. He has been demonstrating those Doodle 'mad moments' (morning & early evening) & chilling in the warm weather the rest of the time. We do a little bit of training each day (just 10 minutes walking around on the lead in the garden, or sit & down.)
The last 2 days he has started to mount & 'hump' my leg. He then did the same to my husband today. I'm guessing as he's litterally 9 weeks yesterday that it's a bit young for a) sexual action or b) a dominance issue. So I'm guessing it can only be due to excitement or for attention perhaps. (It's usually when we're in the garden playing.)
What are people's suggestions for dealing with this please?
I just stood still , turned my back on him & crossed my arms. He did eventually stop but I'm not sure if it was because he was distracted by my son & hubby. (does that matter?)
I was thinking of getting him 'done' at about 5-6 months old to help avoid 'humping', are there any thoughts on this too please?

Sorry for all the ' ' in this post, it's a bit odd saying humping without them! :lol:

Post subject: Re: Early 'humping'
PostPosted: 18 Aug 2016, 10:50 

If you go to Health Matters you will see that earlier this month there was a thread on When to neuter.
Personally I think 6 months is way too early. Most dogs are not mature by then and you risk "fixing" them in adolescence. There's lots written about this online.
As for the puppy humping, we didn't have this with Dude but my Mums last pup did this and a firm "No!" did the trick. It's usually when play gets too exciting! :roll:

PostPosted: 18 Aug 2016, 20:09 

Thanks, I'll have a look at the thread.
It seems there are various thoughts around suitable ages to neuter. When I took him to the vet last week (before any humping), she suggested the 6 month age.
Gonna have to spend some time looking into the pros & cons more I think before making a decision on that one...........& in the mean time, practice my stern 'no'! :D

PostPosted: 19 Aug 2016, 14:44 

I'm with the firm NO! but also try distacting him with a toy (throw a ball?)
or anything more exciting and interesting than humping your leg :lol:
I am also against neutering too early....Doods are later to mature both physically and mentally than some other breeds so do research before making a final decision.

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2016, 08:18 

I am also against early neutering - remember vets usually look at the physical maturity (debatable at six months anyway - my boy wasn't fully grown until he was two) and ignore behavioural maturity. Neutering doesn't stop humping anyway, it doesn't even stop them running off after bitches!

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2016, 12:13 

Thanks all,
I've spent the last few days reading & looked at the previous thread mentioned and we're now decided definately to leave it & review it when he's much older (probably about a year or so.)
I must say, I am a bit disappointed with the vet as when I asked her advice, she basically said, as soon as his testicles had dropped it could be done, & she'd recommended 6 months would be suitable. Having only had adult rescue dogs before (that had all been done) I really had no experience & so was rather trusting of her guidance. I'm usually obsessive about reading up on everything, but heaven knows why I was so trusting from one visit on this instance! :oops:
On a really positive note, Woody's doing great. No humping yesterday (lots of distraction used Linny!) :D

PostPosted: 20 Aug 2016, 18:09 

Beamis hwas neutered when he was 2 - what I did was get him a chemical castration - a suprelorin implant which halts the production of testosterone for around 6 months. This was so I could see what effect it would have on him before I did anything permanent, and I would do this again if I get another boy. Just something else to add to your research list of topics! :lol:

Glad the distraction method is working! I always say that it is way easier to tell a dog what it is you want him to do than it is to tell him not to do something, and if you can work in a behaviour that you can reward so much the better :D