including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 05:52

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: A second adolescence?!
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2016, 14:51 

Ok, maybe I was foolish, but I had thought that by 3 years old we had pretty much cracked it with Dude. He was a shy pup but has developed into a friendly chap who is always pretty biddable.
Or so I thought! :roll:
For the last few weeks he has been ignoring us when we call him back, when off lead. Going way to far ahead. Rushing across fields to say Hello to other dogs! He has always been a bit prone to run ahead,but has always responded to "wait"
I have a feeling my being out of action with a broken wrist hasn't helped. I'm back "on duty" now but I fear other family members are less "strict" :roll:
Another issue which could be related? ( avert your eyes if squeamish!) For the last 2weeks Dude has had the occasional semen leakage on waking from naps! He has NEVER humped anything( still hasn't) but this does seem like late adolescence :shock:
Any thoughts? Anny

Post subject: Re: A second adolescence?!
PostPosted: 09 Sep 2016, 17:42 

Ah yes the myth that doodles start to calm down and are grown up by the age of three. (She's four in three weeks time)
I too was looking forward to this but found quite the contrary as Tess's recall became terrible and she did a major disappearing act for an hour, (partly our fault it was so long as we looked in wrong place for her, I think she wanted to find us sooner).
It was a blip and although she will still run off to flush out birds or chase a rabbit, she usually comes back once its gone through or over a hedge out of sight. My heart is always in my mouth though and I always expect the worst. She is much better now and whilst I am sure there will be incidents to come, it did pass and I am sure Dude will be the same. Can't comment on the boy issues as I don't have experience but it stands to reason he's bound to feel frisky sometimes!
Get strict, tasty treats and back to no nonsense basics! xxx

xxx

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2016, 15:59 

Thanks Suzi, yes I hate those heart stopping moments when they start to disappear into the distance! :roll:
Today Dude has been on his best behviour! No doubt he's mortified by my previous post!! :lol: Anny

PostPosted: 10 Sep 2016, 22:58 

Daisy is 10 and still naughty! I can see her weighing up whether to do as asked or not. Too clever by half some of these doodles. (only some mind you - Beamish isn't quite so bright, but unfortunately he is easily led!)