including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 05:41

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Humping
PostPosted: 03 Jan 2017, 13:44 

Bertie is a 4yr old standard doodle. He has been speyed for approx 3 yrs + . He is quite laid back and chilled, with occasional doodle dashes. He loves to go out and be off lead, running round like a show pony. He gets between 1 1/2 to 2 hrs of exercise a day. His recall is normally very good and he is tennis ball obsessed. Hes friendly and none aggressive and has doggie friends. He has never displayed any humping behaviour in the house or garden and never with humans........ when we go to the park he can meet 9 dogs and show normal well adjusted doggie behaviour and then on the 10th dog he will try and hump it, (black labs are his specialty). Once he has humped 1 dog the rest of the walk is spoiled because he is so excited he tries to hump the others. Its not every walk and sometimes he can be distracted by his tennis ball. I watch him closely for signals but sometimes its completely out of the blue. I would appreciate any advice you may have to train him out of this for his safety and mine from dogs and owners that dont like this behaviour. Its so embarrassing. He never displays this behaviour with his "friends".

Post subject: Re: Humping
PostPosted: 04 Jan 2017, 21:26 

One of mine is like that - but with him it is always girls, and he also prefers black labs! Tbh I assume that with Beamish it is a sex thing since he only goes for girls - it started when he met a girl being walked in season :roll: . If only that owner knew the trouble she had caused! I am pretty sure that no amount of playing, training or treats is going to overcome that particular drive, so have resorted to grovelling apologies.

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2017, 09:58 

Thanks for that, Bertie is indiscriminate, male, female either really. I only feel really safe with small dogs as he cant get down that low. Im a little afraid of big dogs, so when he picked on the hugest rottie I have ever seen, Im afraid I just ran away and left him to it. How he hasnt been bitten I dont know.

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2017, 18:05 

Indiscriminate humping is usually overexcitement and both girls and boys do it. Tbh I think that the humpees usually understand it and either go along with it or give a verbal warning.

I got Beamish a Julius K9 harness - I think they are hopeless as harnesses but they have a massive great handle on them which is easy to grab when you want to remove your humper! You can choose what you get printed on the side and I got these to make him seem more approachable ....

PostPosted: 07 Jan 2017, 19:22 

I love the harness Bid. We've been wanting to find one with a handle. When you say useless as a harness, how do you mean?
Sorry to hijack the post Bertie! :oops:

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017, 00:17 

Oh thanks for that, the harness is a really good idea. I think I shall get "humper" written on Berties lol.

PostPosted: 08 Jan 2017, 01:12 

Ha ha ha! That certainly say what he does!

I think they are useless harnesses as I prefer the Y-front ones - they don't interfere with movement or breathing. his one goes across the chest so I think it might pull as he walks but he doesn't seem bothered.