including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 25 Nov 2017, 00:56

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Recall
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2017, 19:23 

Hi, I was wondering if anyone has any advice on teaching my dog recall- even when he might be very distracted !!!

In the house and as a young puppy, Archie has always stuck by my side, wanting to be with me every second. When we let him off the lead in the park for the first time and a few times after that, he always came bounding up to me upon hearing 'Archie, Come!' But from then on after that, Archie has been really difficult to get to come back when i let him off the lead. He gets very distracted by other dogs and often runs up to them wanting to play, even if they are not very friendly, which can be worrying. Nothing seems to deter him. The other day we took him to a big field and let him off the lead, he first ran up to other dogs that were quite a distance from us and jumped around wanting to play with them. The owners were asking if we could take him away as their dog had a bad back and could not play today. As i called Archie, he completely ignored me and when i walked up to him to stop him from playing with the dog, he darted away from me as if it was all a fun game. He does this every time we come across a dog and sometimes when there isn't even anything in the park to distract him!? He will just run and when we call him back he just ignores us.

I have always understood that if you call your dog back in the park, do not put the lead back on him every time otherwise he will not want to come back. As a puppy, while teaching him recall, I would often call him back to me and just give him a treat, letting him go and play again which he enjoyed; now, however he will not come. Its weird as he almost always comes if I call him in the house but not outdoors! Therefore I always get quite nervous when I let Archie off the lead, wondering if I'll ever get him back again, especially if the field is not completely enclosed.

I was just wondering how any of you managed to teach your dog recall and if he will just grow out of the excitement of being off the lead as he is now 10 months old. Thanks

Post subject: Re: Recall
PostPosted: 13 Jan 2017, 22:10 

Hi,

We were always told to be more interesting than any distraction, if Archie is food driven like Oscar, then maybe you could try jumping up and down shouting and screaming and waving a chicken leg or something :lol: . This may just be a stage he's going through, just trying to push the boundaries :roll: .

Good Luck,

Oscar & hoomans.

Mens sana in corpore sano.

Crazy flying dog,

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3n5aKvfznuQ

Life of a Labradoodle,

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rWFkOb39sv4

PostPosted: 13 Jan 2017, 23:19 

Is he at that age where they "forget" what they learned. I had problems with Lulu because she wasn't treated orientated. She didn't care. I went back to basis but used a whistle so it was different than when I was home. I practiced when there wasn't any other distractions. She just got a happy stroke and good girl. Then She turned and loved food out so we went from there. Even now if she is called she doesn't know if she will get a treat or just a good girl. She checks back with me every so often and is as good as gold. Take a treat that he wouldn't have at home, really special. Let him go a little way and call her and show you have a treat. Good luck

ImageImage

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2017, 00:11 

There are so many ways of going about this, and also so many distractions to overcome!

Hiding from him on your walks is a good one - hide so you can see him. If he doesn't start to look for you, call him and duck down. If you dothis often enough he will start keeping an eye on you. You need to get very excited when he finds you.

I have different recalls - I've been working on these with Beamish for training classes (he is my demo dog) ... one where I throw a treat between my legs and he runs between my legs to get it, one where I turn my back on him and he appears between my legs and sits, one where I throw a handful of treats behind me. All things that he loves and that I can make fun.

I also keep my eyes peeled and try to call him to me before he runs off to see other dogs, then I can decide if he goes or not, and tell him "go play" or put him on lead.

He's pretty good these days, but still has his moments.

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2017, 10:18 

Lambs heart is my recall treat of choice! ( or should I say Woody's choice). I use it especially for training.
I also hide from him and on the occasions he doesn't come back immediately, I turn and run in the opposite direction. (So far he spots that & comes chasing after me very quickly.) I then add in the command come as he's coming back & make a huge fuss when he gets to me. I become more more fun than the other dog / distraction. ( most of time! :lol: )

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2017, 13:55 

Thanks to all for the advice! I have recently bought a whistle which Archie is getting used to coming to, I am going to try it out tomorrow in a big open field to see if that breaks through the distraction more than my voice does.
I am also looking forward to trying hiding from him as he is very people orientated and I think he would feel very lost not being able to see me. Hopefully it works!!! thanks again!

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2017, 15:56 

Hi,
When Poppy was younger I first let her off with a dog I knew would return to it's owner on command, she would follow it I would then be able to put her lead on.
The best advice I was ever given and that works for us was on here. I was advised to raise my hand in the air with a treat in it and call her once. Once she realised I had a treat in my hand she came back, but she loves her food! To start with she got a treat every time and I gradually made it every other one and then eventually just on the odd occasion. I to was told to become over excited and more interesting than what was around and the two combined just worked.
She used to run up to any dog as well, if they told her off she would come away and if not she had a play for a few minutes then went off and did her won thing, she has never been overly dog orientated. I used to try and stop her running up to other dogs but then thought she had to learn to work out for herself who wanted to play and who didn't. She got grumped a few times, but never with teeth, and now she will run towards the dog, judge it's body language and then either wade in or return to me.
It's a difficult but you will get there eventually, it can be frightening. I was also told not to keep shouting her name over and over again as it loses her effect and although it's difficult not to get cross. When my hubby first called her and she didn't come he got cross and she just ran, a lot can be conveyed in the tone of your voice. He eventually learnt to put a smile on his face and into his voice and she was fine but it did stress us out when we walked her at first but we got there.
As I am typing this he has gone to make her some liver cake as this is her gold!

PostPosted: 14 Jan 2017, 23:23 

Hi Archielabradoodle,

It may be that Archie is just pushing his boundaries, he's at that age when hormones and 'cloth ears' kick in.... :roll:

Our lad had really good recall which went to pot around this time - and also later on... :oops:

I bought a Heim Biothane lead - you can attach it to their collar and let it trail, or hold on to it. That way, if you call and they ignore you, you can haul them in. A behaviourist suggested that I use turkey breast mince as treats - you call them and treat, but to get them interested you then sprinkle some treats on the ground and walk on. They hoover up the treats and then you call them again... Always touch his collar before you treat so that when you actually want to put him back on the lead, he doesn't know it's going to be that time... (I always give him extra treats then too.)

I tried the running away, and the hiding thing, but with Ianto he couldn't have cared less! I'm now using Primula squeezy cheese... standing in a field and yelling, "Cheesy-peasy!" in an excited, high-pitched voice is, let us say, interesting... but he comes running back and as far as I'm concerned, that's a result!! :wink:

Good Luck!
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

PostPosted: 15 Jan 2017, 11:30 

Archie is at the wayward stage. :roll: The best advice I was given was by an elderly chap who trained gun dogs. His method goes like this: When you are walking a dog off lead you will be aware that sometimes they are ahead of you, sometimes lagging behind. Your aim is to make them vigilant and aware of where you are. So, when the dog is ahead of you, suddenly turn and walk in the opposite direction ,don't look back. The dog will stop, and come bounding back to you, often going ahead again. At which point you repeat the exercise, turn and walk in the opposite direction. This technique was incredibly effective with Dude. If, like last week, we are on a big beach and there are lots of distractions ( other dogs) I will keep walking away and he will catch up. He knows I always have treats in my pocket too!

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2017, 13:28 

Our dog trainer suggested along the lines of making something more fun or interesting than the other thing so we've basically got to the point now where on a walk his ball is basically everything to him, in fact any time playing with a ball is his number 1 thing to do in life. In the right places he will chase it all day but when its not a place we can be throwing it round its in my pocket, he knows where it is and should the need arise i can take it out bounce it and he will come hurtling back, 99% of the time :wink: , so he gets a couple of short catches with it so he knows he was a good boy and then put it away again.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2017, 20:07 

I am finding all this advice really useful as Tiggy is also going through the same phase.... so you are not alone! Two things that are working for me at the moment are a long trailing lead and a squeaky ball in my pocket. The trailing lead is great but not good if she starts playing as it can get tangled up. The squeaky ball has really worked as I let her play for a bit if it's a dog off lead and then squeak the ball and look like I'm having fun and she runs to join in. I have also used it to distract her and play in a different direction if I see a dog on lead or do not want her to run up to another dog or person. Will try some of the other ideas too. Mine has also extended to not coming in from the garden :?

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2017, 21:45 

Not coming in from the garden is usually easily solved - just put her on her lead to go out there for a couple of days. That usually breaks the new habit. Worth a try anyway.

PostPosted: 16 Jan 2017, 22:27 

Thank you.... I will give that a try. She loves it outside and sees me calling her in as an end to her fun! I am also trying to call her in before I need her so that I can praise and treat her before sending her out again.