including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 05:45

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Jumping up, but only indoors.
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2017, 09:18 

as a young pup Woody would bound up to everyone & jump up for some fuss. We addressed this by getting people to ignore him & we would give him a treat upon sitting (& he'd get the fuss he was after.) it worked at treat & no more problems when out. 8)

The difficulty we are still having ( Woody being almost 9 months now) is his jumping up when we come home or whenever we have visitors to the house. We are trying the same methods....we walk in & tell him "off" then ignore him & walk round to his bed. When he sits (or goes down) either on his own or by us telling him to, on his bed we give him some fuss ( a stroke / cuddle etc.) it sort of works, but only just & is hit & miss still.

When visitors come in......its a nightmare! We're finding it really quite difficult ( I think maybe because it's difficult to tailor friends behaviours to exactly how we want! :lol: )

Any suggestions / tips for helping us with this phase would be greatly appreciated.

Post subject: Re: Jumping up, but only indoors.
PostPosted: 12 Mar 2017, 10:36 

When you find the answer let me know. Welcome to doodle jumpers!!! Lulu is almost 5 and a nightmare in and out. Well I tell a lie. She is much better out as long as she doesn't know if the human has a treat. Then she is anyones. Thank goodness people know her and will turn their back although she does jump at their backs. I am trying holding a treat in my hand and telling her to walk with me. But I have to be very alert and catch her before she sees a treat weilding human

Inside she is told to go to her mat, I hold my hand up and tell her to wait and she will get a treat After two years of trying this religiously she finally knows. Except,her brains knows but her body lets her down. It is an ongoing thing. She finally gets it with my granddaughter and will sit wobbling until she gets a treat. If we don't do it my wAy she won't do it. I.e. My husband tells her to go to her mat but won't treat her!!! When my daughter comes in she is too fickle, all according to how she feels as to how she reacts To Lulu

All I can recommend is to choose a way, and keep to it. Woody is still young so is a blank canvass. Consistency is the rule. Lulu has proven that

ImageImage

PostPosted: 12 Mar 2017, 10:51 

Hi, Dexter is 4 and a half years old and thinks he is a miniature poodle. He is 34 kg of largish doodle. Jumping has been a challenge to say the least, indoors he has to go in another room until the visitor is in side then , we let him out in a controlled manner. He no longer jumps up but rubs them like a cat! Outside on the whole good but ball throwers and people walking around with treat bags all bets are off. He can steal the ball and treat-bag very neatly, doesn't touch anything else but runs off very happily, because he is so skilful ,can jump to the height of a shoulder, people normally are amazed rather than annoyed. So if I see a ball thrower I grab him quickly until we are passed. Good luck . H and D

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2017, 19:39 

So pleased to see that my Artful Dodger isn't the only one to be tempted by treat bags, marymuffin!
Our problem has always been trying to train our visitors... if only they would behave, things would be fine...
As DoodleDee has suggested, consistency is the key. I thought Ianto would never stop leaping about like a lunatic... but he has calmed down a little recently. Perhaps try putting Woody in a separate room when visitors arrive, then introduce him when they've settled down?
Although it's not strictly training, as such, you could try putting him on a houseline and then standing on it to prevent him being able to jump? (It's what I had to do with Ianto whenever we met anyone outdoors...)
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x

PostPosted: 14 Mar 2017, 22:55 

Thanks for your tips (& reassurance that Doods have such similar traits & we're not alone!) :lol:
The consistency aspect certainly seems to be the reoccurring theme. In which case I guess I need to just carry on & eventually it should come.
I know what you mean Doodle Dee.......perhaps I Need to train my husband first, he's not great with 'doing the same thing as me' either.
I've heard previously about Doods acting like cats & rubbing themselves around people Marymuffin! Not had that so much with Woody (other than a little with me) but I think it would be quite sweet. :wink: I'm pretty lucky that he doesn't grab or pester people for treats when out, he's too busy playing with the other dogs & really isn't too fussed thank goodness. AND, the jumping up when out has almost completely stopped (just 1 or 2 occasional mishaps with very special favoured friends.)
I like the idea of trying a houseline for a while Ianto! I tried putting him in a different room or just putting him in open kitchen with baby gate up so he can see everyone, but not get to them.......worked a little, but with some people, not so much.
Thank you all. :D