including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 21 Sep 2017, 06:12

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Biting
PostPosted: 29 Apr 2017, 19:01 

Hi,
Does anyone have any experience of the problem I am having with my 2 year old Golden doodle boy.
On two occasions this has happened. When returning home from a walk
he has become very stroppy, so much so that he has bitten my hand and arm when trying get the lead off me. He has broken the skin on my hand and badly bruised my arm.He jumps up to get the lead and grabs my hand and arms.He really hurts. I try to get him to focus on sit which he does briefly but as soon as we start to walk again he starts with this behaviour again. I am at a loss as to how to deal with it.
This has happened twice now and is a new behaviour for him.
He is normally a loving friendly dog and never bites.
Does anyone have any suggestions on why he does this and how I should deal with it.
Many thanks for reading .
Jen

Post subject: Re: Biting
PostPosted: 01 May 2017, 12:18 

It's difficult to tell here. Is he stroppy or more over compensating for situation he can't cope with? Has something happened, rack your brains you know him best.
What happens at end of walk , when you get home what do you do?
Is this behaviour occuring in same place, route home? What happens if you turn and walk opposite direction, does he settle?
(I doubt it is this but has the lead been used as a toy ever.)

One thought is to clip on 2 leads if grabs one use the other as short term.

PostPosted: 03 May 2017, 18:53 

Thanks for your reply. He has been as good gold ever since I last posted.When it happened it was in the same place each time and it was only a few yards from home . I know he loves to be out and about and we have longish walks ,say for roughly an hour and half and I feel as we get closer to home he doesn't want to come home.That particular day he sat on the grass verge and wanted to just sit there watching the world go by next to a busy road.When I got him to stand and encouraged him across the road he just grabbed the lead and bit my hand and arm. He took me by surprise at the time and I was unsure what to do. His lead has never been used as a toy.
Nothing unusual happens when we get home,he settles down and goes to sleep.If it happens again I will try walking in the opposite direction and see if that helps, but I really hope this was won't happen again.

PostPosted: 04 May 2017, 09:08 

As long as he doesn't get away with it. I notice good habits need to be reinforced (probably cos they like to earn treats) and bad habuts hard to get out (probably cos they're not getting a treat )

Joking aside if it is a one off it may just have been a grumpy time, also did he mean to get you or was it just the lead. I was playing with Lulu once and put the toy behind my back quickly, she went to get it and caught my side with her teeth. I was black and blue but as I was caught so unaware I screeched with pain and surprise. She never did it again, it was very spontaneous. But sometimes they don't mean to catch you

Just keep an eye on it how often, when, preceding moments and see if anythin matches.

I'm sure he didn't mean it and he is not turning into a naughty boy

ImageImage

PostPosted: 05 May 2017, 00:26 

Hi goldenboy,
I'm glad to hear that you haven't had this problem again since you first posted... Just a thought though, have you had him checked out by the vet? As it's such unusual behaviour for him, it may be worth a quick visit, just to ensure that it isn't pain that is causing him to react in this way - dogs are very good at disguising it.
Anne, Ianto & Wyre x