including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 21 Nov 2017, 05:36

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Jumping
PostPosted: 07 May 2017, 13:10 

Archie is a (big!!) standard Labradoodle, he turned one in March. I'm worried as he has still not learned to not jump up on people, whether we are out on walks or in the house. Due to his size this worries me, particularly when an elderly person comes up to me on a walk, asking if they can say hello.

I feel that we have tried everything to stop him from jumping up and I cannot help but think it is getting increasingly worse and becoming a habit. We have tried teaching him the word 'off' which he knows but chooses to ignore. We have also tried turning our back, walking away and ignoring him every time he jumps up!

It has got to the point where we have had to use a 'dogmatic' (a halti) as we are not strong enough to prevent the jumping up without it. It also worries me that he has started to jump up at people even if we are just walking past them on the pavement and they are not paying attention to him. Quite a few times, this has scared people and I have had to apologise (very embarrassing!)
An example of this is when I was walking Archie the other day and a jogger went past us, completely ignoring Archie. Archie then decided at the last minute to launch himself at the jogger who was not expecting it and she jumped away from him. I hate it when he does this as he is such a friendly dog, however it makes him look vicious and untrained. I can understand that this is not pleasant for strangers, particularly if they do not like dogs.

Is there any way I can train Archie out of this as he jumps out at cyclists, people just walking past, joggers and sometimes fast cars and lorries. As well as people that enter the house, whether he knows them or not! Thanks.

Post subject: Re: Jumping
PostPosted: 08 May 2017, 15:08 

Oh how I know about bouncy doodles. Holly is a 30k bundle of "I just love people, and I will mug you" She is now coming on 5, I have not found and probably will never find the answer to the jumping up. I have though found a help, I bought a longer lead, so now if she is on the lead and someone wants to say hello, I place my foot on the lead keeping the lead short and on the ground but still able to hold the end of the lead in the hand. She does a few attempts at jump ups but is restrained. As she's got older she did stop mugging everyone we met and she seemed to realised that little children and elderly cannot be jumped at, a couple of times off lead she's gone to greet a child and has put the brakes on at the last minute and quietly enjoys the cuddles given. Archie is still very young and you can expect at least another year of wacky behaviour, you have to just be very aware of who's around and try to pre-empt any problem. I even put it on if someone visits as she has such an over the top greeting till she has said hello to everyone. Like you we tried every tried and tested idea. If you find the answer let me know.Try the long lead trick.

PostPosted: 08 May 2017, 22:24 

Hi, you may want to look for a positive non aversive trainer to give you some tips to work with.
Could be you are dealing with two things here:
1) jumping up when greetings, bane of all our lives and consistence counts.
As Kathiedoodle says put yr foot on the lead whenever you stop to greet can help

2.) an element of chase behaviour from what you describe
(ie lunging at joggers jumping out at cars lorries) which you will really really want to redirect asap. If at all poss keep away from these for now so as not to reinforce. Is really important to get this resolved. I would try find out what his motivation is. Chase becomes like a drug for a dog, they get a real high that is self satisfying . Encourage you don't delay on working on this, if it is a chase behaviour.

PostPosted: 09 May 2017, 01:45 

Hmm, 2 above is from one living with a dog with prey drive/chase.
More measured response perhaps:
Find things to do to make Archie use his brain at home. With lunging at cars, lorries find a distance that he is happy to be at that does not cause him to do this.His motivation could be various.Could be you also take time to watch the world go by from his distance comfort zone, as long as he is not getting wound up.

PostPosted: 09 May 2017, 17:38 

Lulu still jumps mainly as she thinkd all people gave treats

All I can say is she is not as bad as she was but she is also a small dog so much eAsier

The words she seems to understand is don't jump I say it very low so she knows I'm not happy. But if the other person had. TrwTs I'm done for

I would also stand to one side and let people joggers walk by p and kept him sitting or standing with toy. Let him watch others walk by.

There are two boxers who Lulu hates and they hate her back. They lunge and growl but today the owner had the boxers sitting and I had Lulu on a tight reign and we walked by without all the nose and the barking. I kept giving her treats and told her to walk with me. It is an ongoing thing but we may get there.

ImageImage

PostPosted: 15 May 2017, 22:59 

SOmething I think helps with all kinds of training, is to remember that it is easier to tell your dog what you want him to do, than to tell him what not to do, so how about working out what you want Archie to do when he meets people - maybe a sit. You need something you can ask him to do that you can reward.

WIth other things such as joggers/cyclists etc, I find a "watch me" works well. Beamish in particular is a lunger, but his "watch me" is instant, and stops him in his tracks. I initially trained it by holding a treat between my eyes so I get eye contact. Now I just use a finger to my chest when I say it and he zooms to sit in front on me, make eye contat, and get a treat. This morning I had a small moment of triumph when a tractor came along the track and I had 4 off lead dogs sitting and watching me as it went past! :D :D