email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 19 Sep 2018, 12:18

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Barking as a demand
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2018, 19:57 

Please advise

My dog is moving on to another phase.

He now is barking AT me.

He sits in the garden staring at me. If I don't "entertain" him (training or cuddling) he begins to bark. He is very good at barking to defend his house or warn of visitors. I can talk to him about those moments and the barking stops. I do lots of training and other exercises with him in the day as well as walks, all of which he loves. But he has now decided he doesn't like being bored, so when he is bored he starts to bark AT me. This barking can't be stopped by talking or praising, although it can sometimes be interrupted by a biscuit.

I am getting desperate - he now barks outside - I let him in to the kitchen. He barks in the kitchen - I let him in to the sitting room. Then he sits close to me while I am working and looks me in the eye and just barks at me. Slowly. Woof. Woof. Woof.

I don't like smacking and I do believe there must be a way to motivate all animals around to better behavior. But I can't work out how to motivate my dog to stop barking other than entertaining him all day which I can't do. I have to work.

Does anyone have advice?

Post subject: Re: Barking as a demand
PostPosted: 22 Apr 2018, 23:48 

Suggest start in the house (unless you have no neighbours).
What if you ignore the barking.
No eye contact or anything. You will need to be in a good mood with patience abundant. When he finally stops( it will take a while as barking has been working for him) give him a treat or praise which ever is his preference after he stops for a few seconds.
You can also train to bark on cue.

PostPosted: 23 Apr 2018, 00:45 

Ps: you’re not alone, we inadvertently ‘ trained ‘ one of ours to bark when he wants to know where we are . :roll:

PostPosted: 28 Apr 2018, 18:44 

Currently the barking is working for him, so he will carry on doing it. He is outside, he barks, you let him in. Similarly when you say he stops for a treat - you are rewarding his barking by giving him the treat. It's always worth stepping back and seeing what is motivating your dog when they do something annoying, and it so often happens that it is us accidentally rewarding them!

THe tricky bit is stopping it - have you tried walking away as soon as he barks - the trouble with this is that some dogs have a lot more patience than we have, but it can work.

You can wait for a pause and get in quick with a reward and a "good quiet" - I taught on e of mine what "quiet" means that way