including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 22 Jul 2018, 06:01

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: barking
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2008, 21:31 

after months of being really good, louie now joins in when next doors dog barks.

It's driving me nuts, as louie isnt a "barky" dog, and he gets REALLY stressed when he hears the other dog bark, and so he whines and barks and growls back.

Advice?? Sympathy?? Tips on ear plugs??!!

xxx

Post subject: Re: barking
PostPosted: 05 Jan 2008, 22:31 

anyone??

what should I do when he starts barking? How can I reassure him it's ok without rewarding him for getting upset?

xxx

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2008, 22:37 

Hi Grainne,
I usually say, "ENough", and turn my back, once quiet give treat, but i suppose he is just comunicating, although loudly :shock: :lol:
Linda

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2008, 22:38 

I've not had this problem at home, but Daisy can be a pest barking in class. THe trainer suggested that I sit with Daisy with treats ready, and as soon as she stops I have to give her a treat and say in a calm voice "good quiet", so that eventually she will learn what quiet means. Might it be worth a try with Louie?

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2008, 22:41 

louie is so greedy now, if he knows there are treats near by, he shuts up immediatly...maybe I should invest in some better treats...

Thanks for the responses!

It wouldnt be so bad, but sometimes next door starts off at like 3 am.....UGH

xxx

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2008, 22:43 

Our dogs are like that always have to answer back, or have the last word. That is until i step in. You just have to mean it. They Know when you really mean it :D
Linda

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2008, 22:45 

Some training books say that if you can teach them to bark on demand, you can teach them to stop barking on demand too. It's complicated as a training method but might be a good idea if nothing else works. I think it's Bruce Fogle I read on this topic. Would imagine it's not a quick fix though.
Barley never barks at home, but he never shuts up at training. The leader can't get a word in edgeways and has had to squirt him to shut him up. I may look in to that training book and find out what the book was. Will post here if I find it.

Not sure how you go about it, I wonder if you end up sitting there woofing with them - then people would think you were barking!
(Sorry, that was lame.)
Helen
x

http://www.labradoodletrust.com

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2008, 22:48 

I've had 7 months of silence so I've been lucky really...

I'm taking him training in the new year, hopefully they will help, otherwise Im gonna bring an expert in!

xxx

PostPosted: 05 Jan 2008, 23:38 

With M and two JR's in the house, the noise can be a bit much! They bark at dogs on the TV, childrens voices on the TV, owls, pheasants, any animal noise on the TV. They bark if we say Hello on the phone when it rings etc etc.

I have now got/am getting a response from them by saying 'thank you' (in a quiet voice) - thanking them for alerting me to danger (!!), and then when they look at me in suprise I cross my hands (both hands flat, one above the other) then, keeping both hands flat, I bring them apart in a slow 'slash like' movement, until they are about 2 foot apart and say 'shush' quietly. I repeat this several times, and believe it or not they stop!! It has taken some time to get them to cotton on to this, but now they often stop straight away :) :)
I just read somewhere one day, that to say 'thank you' quietly would work!!

Can you understand any of this - getting late/end of day/too long on the old pooter/grey cells are getting confused/bed time LOL!!

Anna and M

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2008, 01:09 

Thats from Jan Fennell.
I'm lucky that Mac doesnt bark at anything much but Tanya alerts us to everything which i am not stopping as its a bit of a burglar deterrent i hope. We're lucky she cant see the main road from the window. :lol:

http://www.tall-tails.co.uk

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2008, 01:27 

Every spring time I go through this with Missy my Springer - she takes off up the garden barking at the collie who lives the other side of the wooden fence. I recall her and make her sit and wait for a while then let her go again if she's good. Another bark and she has to come and sit again - she usually stops bothering at all within a week or so.

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2008, 10:54 

well last night I was kept up from 3....the night before it was 4...

feel really fed up today!

thank you for all your advice, I will be following it!

The thing is, I let Louie sleep in my bedroom...worse than that he sleeps on my bed...and I know that this is a BAD idea, and it would be much better if I had stuck with the crate training and made him sleep downstairs, BUT I LOVE having him next to me, and I live on my own and it is so nice to have him there when I fall asleep and when I wake up, and I am quite happy to keep this arrangement for the long term....but I know all the training books say you shouldnt, and to stop this barking at night thing, I think they're going to advise me to move his "bed" to another room...what do you all think? Could this be part of the problem?

xxx

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2008, 12:09 

Barking is a total pain and we have neighbours who have a barky dog they babysit for their daughter- bark bark bark all day- drives us mad. Our last dog eventually started up in response. We were told to try the "plastic bottle with some dried peas in it" trick by a friend.

Keep a plastic drinks bottle filled with a handlful of dirid peas or beans with you and when he barks rattle it loudly and say QUIET , if he does it again throw it to the ground near him and repeat QUIET. Treat him as soon as he stops barking. It worked well with ours - I only wish I could lob it at the neighbours dog to stop it too!

Good luck!

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2008, 17:46 

[quote="grainne"]well last night I was kept up from 3....the night before it was 4...

feel really fed up today!

thank you for all your advice, I will be following it!

The thing is, I let Louie sleep in my bedroom...worse than that he sleeps on my bed...and I know that this is a BAD idea, and it would be much better if I had stuck with the crate training and made him sleep downstairs, BUT I LOVE having him next to me, and I live on my own and it is so nice to have him there when I fall asleep and when I wake up, and I am quite happy to keep this arrangement for the long term....but I know all the training books say you shouldnt, and to stop this barking at night thing, I think they're going to advise me to move his "bed" to another room...what do you all think? Could this be part of the problem?

xxx[/quote]

Ours sleep with us. I'm like you and like having them with me. Not sure if its your question, but i don't think this will have any bearing on the barking.
If you like him with you, don't change :mrgreen:

PostPosted: 06 Jan 2008, 18:07 

amber, I think I love you! That was the best answer I could have got!!

I really dont want to, it would upset me as much as Louie...my brother and mum think Im nuts, and keep saying "what if you get a boyfriend" but who wants a boyfriend when I've got the most reliable bloke on the planet already?!

Glad you dont think it has any effect on the barking, I will try the other ideas, and have found a dog trainer and will see how it goes and may book a one to one if I think he needs it. I threatened him this morning that he was going back to the puppy shop...but we both knew i was bluffing!!

xxx