including the UK Labradoodle Register
email: info@labradoodle.org.uk
It is currently 22 Jun 2018, 20:15

All times are UTC [ DST ]

Post subject: Temp Rehoming?
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2013, 21:03 

Hi,

I've not posted on this site far a very long time.

We have a 3 1/2 year old black dood, Dexter, he's as well behaved as a doodle can be ;)

We have sold our home and waiting for our new house to be built, my little boy and I are moving in with my parents 30 miles away and my husband and Dexter to his mums.

As it's a flat that has 'committee' they say no pets but as it was a temp message, 6 months max, this wasn't a problem until tonight!

My mum us allergic to dogs so not an option of us all moving in there, soooo does anyone know of a place that would take a dood on for about 6 months? We really don't want to have give him up.

Nikki

Post subject: Re: Temp Rehoming?
PostPosted: 03 Dec 2013, 22:15 

Is there nowhere to put a caravan on site? I know they are not very spacious but we lived in one for nearly a year while we were building our house. We didn't have dogs but we did have 5 cats which meant we couldn't rent a house. They are so cheap to buy.

When are you moving out of your house? I would guess it's in the spring so that you are not building over winter? So many questions - sorry :oops:

Not sure I understand the parent thing - have the committee now said no to Dexter?

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2013, 01:07 

Does he shed and will you be paying for food and insurance? Xxx

PostPosted: 04 Dec 2013, 04:03 

As you are in Manchester, I would suggest contacting Frosty on here.

She is a very good dog walker/boarder and will know if there is anyone with or without a dog who would offer to fosteer him for a bit locally.

Obviously you would need to ensure his food, insurance and any vet needs were covered.

If he could get on with my two we could have him for a bit but we are the other end of the country so not very practical. :cry:

Good luck with the build. That's a nightmare we are only just recovering from. :roll:

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2013, 20:49 

Hi all

Sorry for not replying to this sooner but really thanks for the advice so far

Unfortunately a caravan is not an option as the house is on a development and not a self build.

Temp Rehoming is a real last resort but if he was local and in a loving place that we could get to regularly to keep up the family walks and stuff, we would do it. Paying food fees, insurance and all of that.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2013, 20:50 

Also, he sheds a little. His coat is wiry and doesn't leave much around the house. We groom him regularly and like to keep him short.

PostPosted: 29 Dec 2013, 21:28 

I'm not sure Frosty comes on here much now, I think she lives outside of Manchester nr Dovestones?
I can get in touch with her if you want her details.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2014, 12:47 

Hi all
I'm chris, Nikki79's husband. Yes Pauline, might as well give Frosty a shot if you can in touch with her.

We're really reluctant to temporary rehome Dexter but we're in a difficult situation now with the new build being delayed until September/October. It is likely we'll be moving out of our house by the end of February. Short of one of us living on the street with the dog we don't really know where else to turn.

We understand that for a temporary home we will be relying on somebody to volunteer. So it is a long shot. Especially when it will likely be for 6-8 months. I have tried to make contact with Labradoodle Trust to see if they can assist with Temporary Rehoming, but I'm not sure they will do that as I know they only really put dogs into foster homes with a view to finding a permanent home.

To be honest, and I don't even want to say it, we are considering permanent rehoming. We are assessing how much turmoil we will be putting Dexter through by passing him from Pillar to Post because it is convenient for us. Palming him off for 8 months, only to reclaim him again when we move into the new house seems crueler than rehoming him temporarily. I guess we've just exhausted all avenues now when it comes to family and don't really know what to do that is best for him. :cry:

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2014, 12:52 

Also - someone asked above about the commitee problem. My mum and dad love Dexter and would gladly have him, but their flats is an over 50's development that is strictly no pets. Not even goldfish!

Pets are allowed to visit, and a couple of times they have had him overnight and for the weekend, but it has to be cloak and dagger stuff. Bit of a farce really.

The commitee are of the opinion that 8 months represent a permanent stay and would therefore break the rules they signed up to. I can't put them in a position that might cause an issue for them as they are settled there.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2014, 13:11 

You sound to be in a really tough situation. I hope someone, somewhere can help. :(

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2014, 14:51 

Hi Dad of Dexter.

Well, Christmas is over, MIL has returned home and life is back to normal, as far as a Doodle household can be normal, especially with two Doodles :roll:

If you are still stuck come February don't despair as Dexter could come to us BUT we are in South Devon so ideally he should go somewhere a bit more local so he can maintain contact with you.

However, you will always regret giving him up if you re-home, and I know that the dogs were the only thing that got my husband out of depression after a nightmare build so you will need your boy.

Try Frosty as she is local, and also ask Dexter's breeder if she/he can help (or did I miss that post?) but, if all else fails, he can come on holiday to us.

I think he will be OK with Becky as he's a boy and she only had a problem with Amber (long story re an abused dog that certainly tested her wonderful bite inhibition. :shock: )

PM me your phone number and we can talk more. You will have to OK this with Dexter's insurance company.

PostPosted: 02 Jan 2014, 16:53 

MrsAdmin wrote:
Hi Dad of Dexter.

Well, Christmas is over, MIL has returned home and life is back to normal, as far as a Doodle household can be normal, especially with two Doodles :roll:

If you are still stuck come February don't despair as Dexter could come to us BUT we are in South Devon so ideally he should go somewhere a bit more local so he can maintain contact with you.

However, you will always regret giving him up if you re-home, and I know that the dogs were the only thing that got my husband out of depression after a nightmare build so you will need your boy.

Try Frosty as she is local, and also ask Dexter's breeder if she/he can help (or did I miss that post?) but, if all else fails, he can come on holiday to us.

I think he will be OK with Becky as he's a boy and she only had a problem with Amber (long story re an abused dog that certainly tested her wonderful bite inhibition. :shock: )

PM me your phone number and we can talk more. You will have to OK this with Dexter's insurance company.

MrsAdmin - sent you a pm. Will also send a PM to Frosty.

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2014, 19:57 

Hi all

Just a quick update in this situation. We have a couple of maybes at the moment but nothing concrete. We have been to speak to family members again but are being careful not to 'guilt trip' them. There is a mix of 'this is a problem of your own making' to genuine sympathy from them but sadly no offers. None of our family are really dog lovers and I feel Dexters quality of life would be poor if left with, say, my sister, who is terrified of any dog.

We've contacted some boarders from the internet but at an avg price of £20 per day they are really pricing us out of a 6-8 month stay.

We feel very guilty about asking anyone to have our dog, and take on what should be our responsibility for so long. Sometimes I think it would be unfair on both parties. But it really is dependant on the person who volunteers so we must stay positive.

We have chatted about the very real possibility that we must rehome our lovely boy permanently if we can not find a solution. This makes me sick, and has had my wife crying for most of the day, but this is a fate that has fallen on us unkindly and at the very end if the day the most important thing is to put dexters happiness before our own.

Thanks again to everyone who has got in touch. There are still a few irons in the fire but please do get in touch if you think you can help!!

Chris, Nik and Dex

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2014, 20:41 

I really feel for you all - wish I could help but have two already including a Dexter.
I really hope you find a solution.

ImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImageImage

PostPosted: 04 Jan 2014, 22:45 

A member of my father in-law's cycling club has said they might be able to have Dex :) The have two labs already so they must be mental.

Not getting my hopes up as it's all theoretical, but its another 'maybe' and surely one will come off!