The puppy finder

Please use this section for listing details of any dogs that need rehoming. This area is not for posting details of litters/puppies - any such adverts will be removed.
Carole g

The puppy finder

Post by Carole g » 07 Jul 2007, 08:44

Some people seem to think that the puppy finder page on this site offers some guarantee of quality, unfortunately this is not true, the excellent breeder is there along with the awful.
Here are just three examples

Susan Todman, breeds her bitch on every season to the distress of the bitch's breeder.

Sylvia Sizer, calls herself Sandilands to deceive the buyer

Dennis Buckley, breeds brother and sister together and any mating that will make money, however young the bitch.
ALWAYS visit the premises and see mum with pup. There are no excuses!
DONT BUY FROM PUPPY HARMERS

amber

Post by amber » 07 Jul 2007, 13:06

This is very painfull to hear, Carole. As an owner of a bitch who has just had puppies, 23 days ago, i don't understand how anyone could contemplate a mating again for at least another year to eighteen months.
Amber

LouBeale

Post by LouBeale » 07 Jul 2007, 13:46

Sad, but very true, :evil: I do believe the one thing these bad breeders have in common is they don't post on the forums! Understandably, they would be slaughtered. :twisted: Perhaps people should be encouraged to read the forums, to get an idea about ethics of individual breeders!

eliritch

Post by eliritch » 07 Jul 2007, 13:54

Thanks Carole - at least someone cares :lol:

Max123

The right puppy?

Post by Max123 » 07 Jul 2007, 15:36

The thing is, how do you know who to trust? I will be looking for a puppy towards the end of the year, and alot has changed since I last bought a pup (14 years)! My Labradoodle cost us £50!! and we bought her from the local kennels and were very lucky as she has been perfect!

But these days there are so many ads on the web, and the high 'Designer' price tags don't always represent the knowledge the breeder has on the health of the puppies!

However I am glad I have found the is web site, as hopefully I will (through word of mouth) find the right breeder with the perfect pup!

LouBeale

Post by LouBeale » 07 Jul 2007, 16:25

CaroleG has posted some very good advice on how to pick a pup, and I can't remember where it is! As long as you see mum with pups, health tests on parents and you feel happy with how they are raised, then no problem. I had one lady who has taken one of my pups, she visited a horrible breeder and had to walk away with her 9 year old daughter because the whole thing felt wrong! Home breeders may charge a bit more, but once you compare them to others, you can understand why!

It is very difficult, you need to use your gut instinct and be prepared to walk away from bad breeders who are only interested in £££££££££££.

LouBeale

Post by LouBeale » 07 Jul 2007, 16:26

Carole, next time make it a sticky so everyone can read it!!! :D

spoodle

Post by spoodle » 07 Jul 2007, 17:24

:?:
Last edited by spoodle on 01 Nov 2007, 19:30, edited 1 time in total.

Carole g

Post by Carole g » 07 Jul 2007, 17:28

I can't make it sticky and Ive posted it twice!
I would like some advice of this sort prominent on the site since there is a real problem in buying a well reared pup (of any breed), and we all know it. This is a very personal take on how to pick a puppy but it does not differ from the advice offered by the agencies.

http://www.labradoodle.org.uk/forum/vie ... php?t=2544
ALWAYS visit the premises and see mum with pup. There are no excuses!
DONT BUY FROM PUPPY HARMERS

GUNNER

Post by GUNNER » 07 Jul 2007, 22:10

spoodle wrote:Perhaps the puppy finder should be wiped clean and only breeders meeting certain criteria be allowed back by application.
I agree, what a good idea.

foxie68

Post by foxie68 » 07 Jul 2007, 23:45

I remember Carole's good advice about what questions to ask when going to meet a puppy but I can't find it either.

Think if folks are interested in getting a puppy from someone they should look at their profile and see what posts they have made and how the get on with other folks on the threads.

Think you are right though, the really bad breeders don't post at all as they ain't really interested.

Barb

Post by Barb » 07 Jul 2007, 23:51

Carole g wrote:I did this last October, others will have their own take on the question.
Before you even go to the breeder, if dangerous claims are made of allergy friendly coats or unrealistic temperament and health claims are made, that is a good sign of dishonesty.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Be tough, it is very hard to walk from puppies and puppies force you to fall in love. So think.... did you like the mother of the puppy and the rest of the litter, were they relaxed, not shy, reasonably clean and playful. Listless puppies with bulging worm filled stomachs and poo around their bottoms are not for you, dont EVER be tempted to take one. If you did not see mum and the rest of the litter walk away now!
Did the breeder seem interested in your life and how pup would fit in, was there concern over your ability to have the time to look after pup. If the breeder (Ill now assume shes female) didnt ask you such questions, walk away.

And if no one is home all day DONT buy a puppy.

I know they are crossbreeds but she should be proud of mum and dad even if she is not knowledgeable about their pedigree and she should be happy to supply you with a family tree.

Does the breeder tell you that if the puppy is ill in the first week you should bring it back and get a full refund. If she is not an experienced breeder ASK the question, she should always offer that kind of refund. and it is normal to give half the price back in the first month at least if you need to return the pup. Tell her you will take pup to your vet the day after it comes home for a vet check and if there is anything wrong you would bring it back for the full refund so she can look after it until well.
She should insist on pup being 8 weeks old before homing as that is the law.
She should tell you about vaccination.
She should tell you when it was wormed and when next and give you that dose.
She should have some knowledge of health testing and have used a hip scored eye tested sire if labrador and if standard poodle it must have had an SA test (absolutely essential) and preferably eye and hip score as well.
She should supply a week at least of the food it is already eating to minimize the risk of tummy trouble.
She should care what happens to the pup, offer a lifetime of advice and support and if you think she doesnt care.... walk away

If she's inexperienced and does not have a written agreement, ask nicely to have any agreement jotted down and signed by both parties.She needs a copy as well.

Dont forget there are hundreds of other wonderful puppies out there. There is no need to be pressurized into taking the first one you see, or for you to wait very long for a suitable pup and please be hard on yourself are YOU capable of offering puppy a good home
I know there is more but this covers most things

foxie68

Post by foxie68 » 07 Jul 2007, 23:53

Your good Barb, finding it. Think that should be a thread on 'Rehoming' that we take turns to bump to the top from time to time.

jodiestutt

Re: The puppy finder

Post by jodiestutt » 15 Feb 2008, 10:38

Carole g wrote:Some people seem to think that the puppy finder page on this site offers some guarantee of quality, unfortunately this is not true, the excellent breeder is there along with the awful.
Here are just three examples

Susan Todman, breeds her bitch on every season to the distress of the bitch's breeder.

Sylvia Sizer, calls herself Sandilands to deceive the buyer

Dennis Buckley, breeds brother and sister together and any mating that will make money, however young the bitch.
i have only just found this site and am not a person to post rubbish for the world to see but i do know the lady in question and i can assure you she did not set out to deceive anybody. She has lived at Sandilands for 20yrs and bought the farm 25yrs ago it already was called sandilands and has always been known as Sandilands, She has an affix and shows and judges several gundogs ,you cannot put an affix in front of a xbred and when people ask for an address it is very difficult to give without the name.anybody wishing to have the matter clarified pls feel free to get in touch with her, and in the mean time it is always a good idea to get the correct facts

Elendili

Re: The puppy finder

Post by Elendili » 15 Feb 2008, 11:32

Welldone Carol, Again :D

Keep up the good work, at least, hopefully everytime you post this information
some unsuspecting new prospective Doodle owner, might be made aware
of the awful puppy farm breeders that exist out there.

Jenn x